PDA

View Full Version : wyoming report

edsly42
06-22-2006, 04:02 PM
had a pretty cool day of fishing, figured some of you guys might wanna see the pics. finally hit the salmonfly hatch on a local river which are these huge stoneflys sometimes the size of your pinky finger. they hatch at the end of runoff and turn the fish on a feeding frenzy. hit it pretty good the beginning of the week, nothing big mostly 11-13" fish, missed a much bigger one but just seeing all these fish hammering these huge dry flies is awesome. the stomachs on these trout were all distended from gorging on the nymphs and the adult flys. awesome fishing. cant wait til the hatch goes off on a bigger local river and gets the bigger fish going crazy. :brow
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c88/edsly42/000_0548.jpg http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c88/edsly42/000_0551.jpg http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c88/edsly42/000_0549.jpg

Soundking
06-22-2006, 04:23 PM
That's awesome!

You have no idea how badly I've been fiening out for some wet wading and dry fly fishing in a little creek...

CharlieP
06-22-2006, 08:39 PM
nice! i am off to montana next month and i can't wait. it really is something to experience. you got my blood flowing!

charlie

Labrax
06-23-2006, 08:09 AM
I briefly lived out west and the salmonfly hatch is great and followed nicely by amazing cricket explosions later in the summer. I caught one of the nicest rainbows I ever caught out there on a salmonfly imitation at the tail-end of their hatching season. Nice shot of the cutts. There is just no comparison between the trout fishing that the western part of the country has and back here in southern NE. Good thing we have the coast.

Flytyr
06-23-2006, 08:35 AM
I used to guide in eastern Idaho. The salmon fly hatch is legendary in this part of the country. All the fish come up very hungry after a long winter and gorge themselvs with these huge flies. I have caught cutts' with naturals hanging out of their mouths. A chance to fish this hatch is a experience of a life time!

NatickDave
06-25-2006, 01:27 PM
We sometimes manage to synch up our MT trip with the salmon flies, and it is amazing. The craziness of the fish is matched by the craziness of having huge bugs crawling around and buzzing by your head like prehistoric helicopters. The downside is that the fish shutdown afterwards because the are so completely gorged.

We waited until July to out this year because the snowpack is much greater than in the past several years...so probably no big bugs for us, but, honestly, that won't bother me one bit.

So where are you going, CharlieP? I will be in SW MT, on the Madison (near Ennis), Beaverhead, Ruby and (maybe) Big Hole.

ND

Fin Addiction
06-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Cool stuff dude...

My folks retired to Star Valley Wyoming in the early 80's so I have been fortunate to fish all the waters around there....Some days I think of going back............and then the tuna show up and I forget about it until next Dec!!...:-%

CharlieP
06-25-2006, 09:04 PM
hi dave,

we have been fishing the madison for the past 6 years and it is like God's country out there. we stay about half way between ennis and west yellowstone at the west fork cabins. during the week we will hit the madison, henry's fork, slough creek, the lamar and soda butte (depending on the rains)...we hit a lot of the same spots from year to year, but always fish at least one or 2 new places. we are heading out on july 15 and staying the week. when and where for you? it is always nice to see friendly faces.

charlie

SherpaT
06-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Cool stuff dude...

My folks retired to Star Valley Wyoming in the early 80's so I have been fortunate to fish all the waters around there....Some days I think of going back............and then the tuna show up and I forget about it until next Dec!!...:-%

Tell me about it. We go out west every year, and this year, I figured I was a genius booking it for the first two weeks of July, just before "tuna season." I think I pulled the trigger a little late this year. Still, I can't picture myself knee deep in the throes of a Green Drake hatch, wishing I was back east burning mondo quanties of fuel. Still, my flight gets back at 4:30 AM on a Saturday morning. If wife and kids are asleep, a 6AM tuna departure isn't out of the question!

SherpaT
06-25-2006, 09:33 PM
hi dave,

we have been fishing the madison for the past 6 years and it is like God's country out there. we stay about half way between ennis and west yellowstone at the west fork cabins. during the week we will hit the madison, henry's fork, slough creek, the lamar and soda butte (depending on the rains)...we hit a lot of the same spots from year to year, but always fish at least one or 2 new places. we are heading out on july 15 and staying the week. when and where for you? it is always nice to see friendly faces.
charlie

Charlie,
We've been on the same program, but with a new little girl (Madison, go figure!) we're taking this year off and going to visit the in-laws in Colorado (swimming pools and babysitters, oh my,but there's gold medal water down the street, and I get my 5 day solo sidetrip to the Fryingpan and Roaring Fork.)
I'm pretty sure at some point we'll end up living in the very area you mentioned. If you're looking for new water, check out the Ruby, and if you're looking for a challenge, check out the evening hatch at Varney Bridge. I'm sure you know about Blue Ribbon, perhaps the best flyshop on earth.

NatickDave
06-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Charlie,
I go out on the 14th, early enough be in the water (probably around Ennis) that afternoon...leave on the 19th (sore, sunburnt, hungover and happy :-% ).
ND

CharlieP
06-26-2006, 03:29 PM
dave,

we may just see you out there. there are 3 of us this year...neil, andy and me. so if you see 2 50-ish guys and a 35 year old with sh@! eating grins and giggling like school girls at the sight of the evening caddis hatch on the madison...you will have found us.

sherpa...blue ribbon is awesome. they carry more saltwater stuff than some shopes here...good people and very knowledgable. hell...it is tough to find a bad shop out there. bud lilly's is great too.

i am so excited it hurts.

charlie

SherpaT
06-26-2006, 05:54 PM
You guys are killing me! I'm jealous, and I'm going out to CO for 2 weeks soon! Nothing like Ennis in July though. Nirvana. --124-3

CharlieP
06-26-2006, 07:39 PM
tim,

i will dedicate a trout to you, then. i will land a fish fooled by a sparkle caddis, hold it for a second longer and say "this is for you tim." i swear i will do it. hell, my friends already know that i am an idiot so they won't even think twice about it.

and by the way, congrats on the little girl. there is nothing more precious than a baby.

charlie

SherpaT
06-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks! That would be wonderful. Would I be pushing my luck if I asked you to have a cheeseburger at the Ennis Dairy Queen and an extra Bud at the Silver Dollar? :-%

edsly42
06-27-2006, 09:03 AM
if any of you guys need an area report around the time your coming out, feel free to send me a PM. ill be out hitting the area waters pretty much everyday til, uh the ski resort opens. explored a little creek last night for an hour and found it full of chunky cutts 12-16" that acted like theyd never seen a fly. gonna be a great trout season out here.

CharlieP
06-28-2006, 06:17 PM
sounds like a plan to me. fishing and skiing in the area? 'atta boy