PDA

View Full Version : MMR Joppa 06-24 Report

NHAngler
06-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Got out into the river on and around Joppa flats this AM for some better than fair action. Fished 3 hours before high and 3 after.

Between the two of us we boated over a 100 fish. OK, half of that were micros but the rest ranged from low 20's up to several keeper sized fish. Two 28's, 29, 31, and a 37 to be exact.

All fish were caught on sluggos and flies (clousers and deceivers). Almost all fish were on the surface. Lost my hottest producing clouser to a micro at the boat. DOH! That should teach me to retie (I hope).

Before high-tide, we had several sightings of monster sized fish COMING COMPLETELY OUT OF THE WATER!!!!! Usually the big fish don't need to do that right? Wow, what a sight. Was out in front of the beaches near the mouth and saw some diving birds (but caught no fish under them).

--127-3- I would appreciate a congrats from any fly-guy that would care to do so - NEWS FLASH - I got my 1st keeper sized fish on a fly rod today. Actually got my 1st striper on a fly today. Wow, was that fun. I think that one was only 28" on the nose but was admittedly more fun than even my biggest fish caught on light tackle freshwater setup with 10 pound line (was a 39" btw for those that are wondering).

I'm tired, have striper thumbs, and all I can think of right now is........ I need to do that again as soon as possible. :)

Keep em tight!
Brian

tsheehy
06-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Brian,

Congrats on your first fly-rod keeper!

Are you sure those monster fish had stripes?

-- Tom

NHAngler
06-24-2006, 08:48 PM
"Are you sure those monster fish had stripes?"

One for sure. All others I could not confirm that they were.

fish-bum
06-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Brian, congratulations...It's just that much better on a fly rod!

Tuna Hunter
06-24-2006, 09:12 PM
You go Brian !
Great job and great report. Your enthusiasm comes right thru the monitor.
Thats a great post.
Congrats!
Merrill

capecodkid
06-25-2006, 06:57 AM
Nice Report!!! --127-3-

got fish?
06-25-2006, 07:13 AM
Brian,

Congrats --127-3-

and thanks for the report

I actually am launching at high tide today. Thanks to the flood, I am more than a month late.....and boy am I ready for some action.

Jim

striperblues
06-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Congratulations. Usually, the next step is you will be obsessed with catching bigger bass, then lot's of bigger bass and then at some point you will realize that just catching any bass on the right fly gear was great. Bliss and contentment will follow.

At least that's what happened to me anyway.

(just kidding, I am still gunning for my first 35# or over....got a 32# last season !!!! The addiction just gets worse.....and this **** weather is not helping.....good luck)

BigK
06-25-2006, 08:29 AM
--127-3- --126-3- :brow --125-3 ;)

NHAngler
06-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone...

This was only my 2nd time trying to use it. 1st time I had followers on a tougher outing (one of those 4 fish / 8 hour days).

I guess the hardest part about getting one on a fly (for a beginner like me anyways) was that you can catch 3+ times as many fish using soft plastics and light tackle (which is fun too). So when the action is hot it is hard to slow down the fish catching to learn a little. But well worth it!

Brian

tsheehy
06-25-2006, 08:47 AM
The reason I asked about the stripes is that there have been a lot of Carp and even a few Sturgeon around on Joppa.. I'm more apt to believe that one of these jumped clear out of the water (for no reason) than a striper. I can't remember ever seeing a striper come clear out of the water out of nowhere.

-- Tom

Cajunman
06-25-2006, 09:04 AM
I saw smaller stripers coming out of the water last Wednesday.
Chris

NHAngler
06-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Me neither but when we saw this happen (fish jumping), I started up the boat and rushed on over. Not but 1 minute later a striper jumped completely out of the water about 300 feet from my boat. Then we caught a 37" and 31" within about 5 minutes of that.

What were they feeding on? my guess is sand eels? Is it too early for silversides?

About the 1st hour of the day fish were busting in every spot we were at.

We did see a big seal swimming around later not far from there. Could the seal have had something to do with that? We were in 5 feet of water at the time.

Brian

BillyD
06-25-2006, 09:59 AM
--127-3- Wish I was there for that! I opted for some early evening action. Weather was calm and the drift was perf aroud the south jetti, A seal in the distance was having good luck catching some twinkies, and my f-finder screen looked like an over crowded aquarium. Mouth was full of twinks with rarerly better mixed in. Started with the light spining tackle/sluggoish type baits, with about a 5-1 hookup rate. After a few took the hook it a little to deep for me, I went to the long wand, with a gold over white synthetic offering ala circle hook. the next 90 minutes was virtuallly a hook up on every cast. I love it when the fly does better than the spinning gear. Nothing of any size though.
Anyway, it was a calm and sureal ride afterwards, back up river in the twilight. If the weather allows I'll do it again Sunday eve. Maybe some better size fish will be had.
BillyD

featherbaiter
06-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks everyone...

I guess the hardest part about getting one on a fly (for a beginner like me anyways) was that you can catch 3+ times as many fish using soft plastics and light tackle (which is fun too). So when the action is hot it is hard to slow down the fish catching to learn a little. But well worth it!

Brian

In many cases, the fly will outfish all others! That has been the way for me this year. The big trick is to remember what retrieve the fish liked when it hit and do more of it.

LightTackle
06-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Hey Bman,
nice job on catching the keeper on da fly.. How's the new boat treating ya, looks like you are getting some good use out of it.

I was out last Tuesday night with Bruce in his boat. Then went out again on Wed and my throttle broke loose --124-3

Say hi to the family for me, mine are doing well!!!

We need to get out...

Quit Wishin, Go Fishing Bubba!!!

RF

SteepBank
06-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Congrats! You should be proud my man..Good work!

PSUstriper
06-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Good for you,Brian! --127-3-

Still looking for my first keeper ... someday!
Jan