PDA

View Full Version : Sand Eels, Whales and Big Bass

SquidHoundah
06-26-2006, 06:20 PM
After reading all of the posts I decided to head to Cape Cod Bay in search of some fish. My buddy and I headed first to the NW corner, thank god he had a 30 foot boat, as the waves and chomp were sizable.

When we pulled up on NW Corner of Stellwagen it looked fishy, real fishy. It was only after a couple of minutes that we realized that the entire bank was full of bait, with birds and whales working hard everywhere.

Before long we could see the Sand Eels at the surface, running from someting underneath, and getting attacked by birds above. We were hoping it was Tuna.

While we did not see any break the surface, we did marked some big fish down low.

After some casting into the bait we were able to come up with two big bass hitting a Braid Betta lure, just a heavy tin jig. The two bass we landed were 37 & 38 inches, probably around 20 pounds. Big heavy bass, full of sea lice.

The whales were incredible, really adding to a great day on the water.

Get out there.

SquidHounder

Bob Parsons
06-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Sorry no can do.
Top ten reasons

10 don't have the lure
9 can't afford the gas
8 I only fish for schoolies
7 whales make me nervous
6 Flocks of birds like to crap on me
5 I only have a 17' foot
4 I prefer bluefish for the fight
3 I prefer cod to eat
2 need the gps coordinates

AND
THE
Number
One
Reason

1 It is illegal to target stripers in the EEZ which includes all of Stellwagon

anythinggoes
06-27-2006, 06:25 AM
The nerve of those bass chasing a tuna lure! Props to you for making the tuna try. Better luck next time.

saltyric
06-27-2006, 06:31 AM
Squid - is Will's boat in the water?

SquidHoundah
06-27-2006, 07:58 AM
We went to out there for Tuna. We happened into some big bass, hoping to find tuna. I have never been so bummed out to catch a 20 lbs. bass on a spinning rod.

As with most fish I catch, the bass we caught were all released unharmed. The beauty of a single hook lure.

I don't think a trip to Stellwagen, the gas money, or the time would justify me targeting Bass. My mooring is surrounded by them.

I think some of you need to back down off your high horses and appreciate the forum for what it is; a friendly group of fisherman sharing information to make all of our time on the water more enjoyable.

redpaulhus
06-27-2006, 12:44 PM
I think some of you need to back down off your high horses and appreciate the forum for what it is; a friendly group of fisherman sharing information to make all of our time on the water more enjoyable.

I don't think Bob was on his high-horse - I think he was responding to a post about bass fishing that ended with - "get out there", explaining why he wouldn't be "getting out there".

If you had said "I went to 7-11, and was trying to buy a carton of Marlboro's, but the box was full of pot. Go to 7-11 and buy Marlboro's !" I think the moderator would make the same comment - "sorry I can't, thats illegal" - but probably with less humor and in a much more direct fashion.

I thought Bob was actually kinda funny :brow

I also think if you had said " we caught 1 tuna and a few accidental bass, get out there ! " it would have been different - but telling me about fish I'm not supposed to catch and then telling me to get out there and fish can easily be construed as suggesting that I go poaching...

I've been reading Bob's stuff for a few years now, and though I don't know him personally, I've never ever seen him get "on a high horse"...

SamRiley
06-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Couldn't agree more redpaulhus and I have known Bob for some time now so I can back it up.

Bob Parsons
06-27-2006, 01:56 PM
My aplogies SH. The last paragraph made me think that since you did not see any busting tuna, that you opted of Bass.