PDA

View Full Version : And?

backman
07-01-2006, 07:33 PM
How did all the TOONA slayers make out?

Any tales of REEL SCREAMING action to share?

Soundking
07-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Nothing today...but then again I didn't follow Terry around so maybe that's why I didn't do as well as more experienced captains...

What's wrong dude? Mad cause you and Erkel couldn't hang a fish on crab ledge today?

Tomorrow though is a different story...goodnite, gotta wakeup early and catch some bluefish...

featherbaiter
07-01-2006, 08:58 PM

I was screaming at one of my reels at one point during a non tuna related problem. Keep in mind that those of us that go out early when it is a lower percentage game, will be providing the lurkers with much needed information that they won't have to work for.

saltyric
07-01-2006, 09:03 PM
I have a huge fuel bill I'm SCREAMING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tunnie md
07-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Thought I had SBFT but turned out to be a striper. Anyway, we didn't go 20 miles east to not bring something back for the grill so in the box it went! Guess we're having bass sushi tonight! --127-3-

stingray
07-02-2006, 07:50 AM
I'll second the huge fuel bill, ouch! Gaffman and I made the run from the Merrimac. Gaffy boated a huge 48" striper, snapped some pics and let her go.

riptide
07-02-2006, 07:57 AM

Rather than play the Antagonistic Croation, Larry, why not share your EPIC tales of Victory from out east. A little insight from a pro (like yourself) might help these guys out. :rolleyes:

So far all we have is more than 20 less than 500, thats a start, but I'm sure you have sooooo much more to offer.

backman
07-02-2006, 08:17 AM
We used our eyes, ears and noses to find a good location away from the crowds and radio, found life and bait - put out a spread:
http://www.reel-time.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7644&stc=1

pounded the area repeatedly until we hooked up in the fog:
http://www.reel-time.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7645&stc=1

Boated a nice fish and made a mess of the deck...
http://www.reel-time.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7646&stc=1

Cleaned it up a bit....
http://www.reel-time.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7647&stc=1

never got a chance for the photo op on that one as we went over the spot again and got a couple more knockdowns before we hooked up with this one which alas; swallowed a plug and came in for a photo op pose:
http://www.reel-time.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7648&stc=1

Fortunately that was it for us as the fishbox was pretty full.

Then when we got back to the dock, we chummed up 15 pound bass with tuna scraps.

And you?

BobG
07-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Nice stuff Larry. I gotta say, I'm impressed. :brow

capecodkid
07-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Nice Fish!!!!

riptide
07-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks, now thats a very good start to a report. The pics help with "lure of choice" care to fill in speed of troll etc? Nothing incriminatiing, just a bit more detail for all. Great pics from the tower.

sage fly guy
07-02-2006, 01:30 PM
So other than the fact that you ran to 500' of water, and every you time you round Monomoy you almost ground your boat, you have have helped no one.

Try something useful next time.

Left stage harbour at 0400, we had plans of hitting both the slack high and then the slack low, when the majority of fish seemed to be hitting.

On site before sun even thought of squeaking over the horizon, we started at last years old numbers. Out went three bars, and one bird/gm long. Whales just started to wake up, 200' water was 59, and bait while not plentiful was present. Worked this water for probably 3 hours, nothing but those damned giant bluefish.

Noticed a fleet to the north/east, and thought perhaps 10 guys in boats together knew more than we did. WRONG! Get on site. Find no bait, and water that was 53. Took about 20 minutes before we came to our senses and moved on.

When in doubt young man, go east. So we did. Finally we found what we were looking for, whales on the feed by the dozen, bait out the wazoo, birds galore. Hopes brightened, but an hour of working this slice of oceanic life, produced nothing.

Time to head in, full of diappointment, we hit 150-170' off Nauset, and lo and behold a pod of tuna slashing and feeding. Grabbed the Stella 10G inhopes of putting 60# of drag on something and ripping it's spine out to relieve some frustration. One cast into the, no hook-up, and then they were gone.

Hope this report of failure helps someone, somehow.

chris

backman
07-02-2006, 01:35 PM
860 RPM/3.6 knots into the seas, 700 RPM/4.something downsea, all strikes were heading upsea; one long, 3 inside; and the last strike on at the transom on the plug.

Not a single visible fish all day; only birds, slicks and scything minkes.

featherbaiter
07-02-2006, 01:39 PM
860 RPM/3.6 knots into the seas, 700 RPM/4.something downsea, all strikes were heading upsea; one long, 3 inside; and the last strike on at the transom on the plug.

Not a single visible fish all day; only birds, slicks and scything minkes.

That's helpfull. I was going too fast on Friday (tuna speed).

riptide
07-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Now THIS is a thread that someone with a boat could get something out of. I'm not one of those people at the moment, but soon, very soon. I've already taken off the tuna jones for the season so I'll get by. Mine was a toddler bycomparison. Length/ weight on the fish Larry.

FWIW, Chris the fish we were on have (according to reports) moved on so don't feel bad. At least you guys went 6 for 7 on the other tuna trip you took. Not bad for JUNE!

Larry FWIW, from the pics (and I know they are tough to go by) it looks like your bars are out much farther than I would have expected. The inside bar is near the end of the wash 50'?, then they seem to go about every 50' fro there, but is that a 4th bar far right rear on Hi Vis? That thing looks WAY far back for a bar, if so did it wander or wallow? Its MUCh farther back that I would think a bar would / could run.

BobPink
07-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Now guys, this is almost becoming civil! ( except for Sage ) It has promise!

Nice pictures Larry, good fishing!

Bob Parsons
07-02-2006, 02:04 PM
So other than the fact that you ran to 500' of water, and every you time you round Monomoy you almost ground your boat, you have have helped no one.

Try something useful next time.

Lighten up man, the report is more useful than many I've seen and for those that head in that direction it is very helpful.

sage fly guy
07-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Now guys, this is almost becoming civil! ( except for Sage ) It has promise!

Nice pictures Larry, good fishing!

I've found myself having to take a quick reality check, in the years past I would have been tickled to had a chance to toss spin at tuna, and not hook one. Now, if we don't crank in a 1/2 dozen on the troll, it's a failure.

Spoiled, damned spoiled.

Larry,

Bait, whales, what was the water temp where you hit 'em?? Just curious.

I felt for the guys who had to round Monomoy yesterday to head home, it blew up pretty good.

chris

e-sea-e
07-02-2006, 05:20 PM
monomoy? Try driving back to beverly in a 22 foot center console yesterday. Ouch.

IronMike
07-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Hate to poke at the gas cost wound, but just curious what a day of fishing/chasing eats in fuel costs for some of the boats?

Terry doesn't count since he drives over the waves, not in them, and jet fuel is much more expensive.

Charlie Wade
07-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Wow Mike -- there's the root canal question. I burned 150 gal. yesterday. Then again, I was driving a bathtub; 33 foot trojan with twin 454 crusaders.

ember
07-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Small trailer boat with a V-6 trolling to the East, around 25-40 gallons,run and gun casting up above a little more,depending.My favorite is when you give someone a hunk of fish and they go"Oh this is great,this stuff is(fill in the blank) $ in the store." At one point I figured out a peice o tuna I gave my boss last year cost me about $500/lb

backman
07-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Speeed and seas make all the distances variable. The further back the better as long as the bar's don't drag. The big green one is WTF back and is the usual producer. Thats caught a fish each trip its been pulled and thank god; is too big for the bluefish (so far). That is run off a vertical rigger to get more height which in turn equates to more distance. The spread is a diamond so it won't cross in tight turns.

The water temp was high 50's - 58 or 59 but was irrelevent with the cornucopia of life in such a tight spot. Bait balls all over the screen,the tuna were packed with sandeels.

Chris - when you found what you found yesterday - do not leave it. Pound it over and over and over. We circled the same rip 6 or 8 times for easily an hour before we hooked up. This is not stop and pop inshore tuna chasing, its real deep water offshore fishing. Find the life, work the area hard; the fish will eventually come and eventually feed. That's why you were 6 for 7 on Bob's boat Sunday and I only had 3 fish - you guys stayed and worked it hard; I moved on when it slowed.

Monomoy was evil on Friday and slowed me to 22 knots then down to 10 in the standing 4-6 footers. I heard it was worse Saturday. A small center console was marginal Friday; it was absurd to go that far with the forecast on Saturday. No fish is worth dying for.

I burn 20 GPH at 25 knots/no tide and my run was 50+ miles. Total fuel burn last week was 78 gallons; on Friday it was 98 gallons. Diesel is 2.85/gallon - 250-300$ is a cheap days entertainment when you split the cost among 3 people. You pay a lot more for Red Sox or Patriots games and don't think twice about it.

Your milage may vary.

IronMike
07-02-2006, 08:02 PM
>
I burn 20 GPH at 25 knots/no tide and my run was 50+ miles. Total fuel burn last week was 78 gallons; on Friday it was 98 gallons. Diesel is 2.85/gallon - 250-300$ is a cheap days entertainment when you split the cost among 3 people. You pay a lot more for Red Sox or Patriots games and don't think twice about it.
<

You don't have to justify it in the least, I was really just curious about the differences between the different boats. Thanks for sharing as they say and I happen to agree with you, it's a great day!

ctchuck
07-02-2006, 08:15 PM
How many of those fish were caught on a fly?

Mooncusser
07-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Wow. I learned alot. Riptde blew-up anoher engine, but sill has confidence in them. Larrry can troll with the best of them, and Sage can can suck lemons. Cool.

backman
07-02-2006, 08:47 PM
and you'll see the fly in the fishes mouth

http://www.reel-time.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7655&stc=1

Its a special pattern I mold and tie.

I named it after a friend of mine named Zuri.

I call it the Yo-Zuri fly.

Albiemanmike
07-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Thought I had SBFT but turned out to be a striper. Anyway, we didn't go 20 miles east to not bring something back for the grill so in the box it went! Guess we're having bass sushi tonight!
Isn't 3 mi. the EEZ limit or am I completely wrong ???? Just curious as if it is getting caught with a fish in posession in the EEZ would not be a pleasant experience.

Yo-Zuri Fly :brow :)

Charlie Wade
07-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Albiemanmike, from what I've noticed he just likes to whack the bees nest, step back, and see what kind of a flamefest he can start. Like the time he posted a pic of his bluefin:
http://www.jeffsboatrentals.com/Album/Web%20Sal%20tuna.jpg

Smcdermott
07-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Isn't 3 mi. the EEZ limit or am I completely wrong ???? Just curious as if it is getting caught with a fish in posession in the EEZ would not be a pleasant experience.

Yo-Zuri Fly :brow :)

Mike,

You are a hundred percent spot on. It's even nicely marked on the charts so there is no question. I think you will find Tunnie was trolling for a bite with an artificial himself.

Sean

Edit: Looks like Charlie beat me to it, including the backup.

riptide
07-03-2006, 12:01 PM
We also learned that Mr. Rollins can't spell and things are slow on MV.

Albiemanmike
07-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Albiemanmike, from what I've noticed he just likes to whack the bees nest, step back, and see what kind of a flamefest he can start. Like the time he posted a pic of his bluefin

You are a hundred percent spot on. It's even nicely marked on the charts so there is no question. I think you will find Tunnie was trolling for a bite with an artificial himself

Damn,
They always get me with those lures.........:rolleyes: --125-3 Thanks Charlie & Sean. Going to the dark side tonight to see if we can scare up some large, fresh live bunker and eastern CT. reef = BIG FISH I hope?