PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Tuna spinning rod

capecodkid
07-09-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm looking for the ULTIMATE tuna spinning rod. It needs to match a shimano spheros 12000. Thanks guys!

OffshoreAngler
07-09-2006, 08:47 PM
I have the Spheros 12000 matched with the St Croix Tidemaster TS80XHXF (Xtra Heavy Power, XTRA fast action) I like it becuase it can cast light tackle (small Deadly Dicks through 2.5oz plugs) a mile to a breaking and MOVING school of Tuna. It is also great offshore to cast big plugs to Big Stripers. I just put that rig to the test on Tuna and it passed with flying colors.

mendy
07-09-2006, 08:50 PM
My vote is for the GLoomis Pro Blue 7' 15-30lb spinning rod. Casts small metals like a dream. Light weight matches the Spheros 12000. Plenty of backbone for the up and down endgame.

BCM
07-09-2006, 09:07 PM
I use a St Croix Premeir Saltwater SWS70MHF 20-40lb 7' for my Penn 9500SS, wrapped with 50lb braid and a flouro leader.

ember
07-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Look for at least a 40-50mm stripper(first) guide with a high foot.Most of the production rods(and one custom by a guy who really should know better,but it looked good in the store and then I was stupid enuf to buy it,right?) I own have small guides mounted too close to the blank for a large diameter reel,which severely shortens your cast,and you need a big reel seat to fully engage the foot of a big reel.A long foregrip can be a plus when you have to put the boots to it for an extended period also.

riptide
07-10-2006, 07:11 AM
I use a St Croix Premeir Saltwater SWS70MHF 20-40lb 7' for my Penn 9500SS, wrapped with 50lb braid and a flouro leader.

EXACTLY!!!!

http://riptidecharters.com/Stcroixtuna1opti.jpg
http://riptidecharters.com/SCtunaopti.jpg

Soundking
07-10-2006, 09:22 AM
The aforementioned rods are nice and all, but they are not custom designed for what we do. Like someone else said in an earlier thread, these guys are talking about audi's and bmw's, and I'm talking about an aston martin. If you really want the ultimate schoolie tuna casting rod, the first light anglers custom rods are as good as they come. The high end custom stick is hands down the best there is. When you think about the ULTIMATE rod for this purpose, what do you associate with the desired properties?

1) Casting
2) Fighting
3) Durability
4) Balance
5) Looks

The first light high end custom has a top 8-12 inches that is a blend of high-modulus graphite and boron...what does that do, you ask? It makes it soft...not like ugly stick sluggish soft, but snappy soft...perfectly suiting it to delivering metal and poppers and plastic long distances with tremendous accuracy. I fish much smaller stuff than 99% of the people in the game, so the casting properties of a rod are paramount to me. This rod will accurately deliver a 28 gram hydrometal 50 yards. You cannot say that about any other rod that has been mentioned.
Tuna are tough fish, we all know that. Well the prevelent logic is that no rod that can cast well can fight a fish standup well, and vice versa. So you have to make a compromise, right? Hells naw. This rod is a meat schtick. The material blending ends after the second fuji alconite concept guide and turns into super-high modulus graphite all the way to the aftco locking reel seat. You want to put the bricks to a fish? This is the rod to do it with. Try to apply a full flex to it...you can't. This rod will BULLY a 90 pound fish. And I do mean bully.
This rod is also built with the world's finest components. Fuji alconite concept guides, custom wrapping job, aftco slickbutt gimble and a aftco locking metal reel seat...you know, like the kind of seat on the high-end 50+ pound conventional tackle. This rod is bombproof. Add to it that it is a gorgeous rod (it even has a little tuna sticker on it!) and you have hands down the best standup casting spinning rod ever designed for this fishing. Guys who say differently have never seen one.

Give Nat or Derek a call at 978-948-7004, or check out their website at www.firstlightanglers.com where you can view the custom rods and even place an order. They are the men who pioneered this fishery and taught us how to do it so it is only fitting that the best sight casting tuna fishermen alive designed the best gear on the planet for this application.

OffshoreAngler
07-10-2006, 09:35 AM
JJ...Sounds Sexy:brow

Do you know...
Price?
Availability?
Warranty?
Repair/Replace Time?

Thanks!

tommat
07-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Here are the specs and price. Didn't say anything about warranty, replacement or delivery time...

1.First Light Custom Tuna Rod 7' #PA-1 $275.00

This rod is meant to be a serious stick for fighting school bluefin tuna. This rod is built on an E-glass/graphite composite blank that will handle fish well into the 100+lbs. class. The rod is equipped with Pacific Bay guides, a Fuji Heavy Duty graphite reel seat and gimbal.

2.First Light Custom Tuna Rod 7' #CA-1 $375.00

This custom 7' tuna rod is a Calstar Grafighter blank designed specifically for casting small metals and poppers at school bluefin tuna. The rod has a softer top 1/3 for casting jigs in the 1-2.5oz. range, but the bottom 2/3 of the blank is all business creating amazing lifting strength. The rod is finished with a longer hypalon foam grip, Fuji Concept Alconite guides and an Aftco aluminum reel seat & gimbal. This rod will easily handle fish from 30-150lbs.

Soundking
07-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Mike (Tuna Slayer....pretty work on saturday bro!)- The prices are already listed by golfer-dude, I know they have a couple in the shop as of noontime today. They are great about custom orders though, and usually have their stuff turned around pretty dang quickly. Probably your best bet is to just call them and ask, as I'm not privy to their policies. Again, 978-948-7004.

Regarding those emails that went around this afternoon: Give me a call tonight if you get a chance, I've got some other intel for you.

J

mendy
07-10-2006, 04:16 PM
JJ,

You better not be sharing my hard earned information about the massive quantity of jellyfish and the AMAZING fishing for 14-18" bass WE are having in Boston Harbor. ;)

Soundking
07-10-2006, 04:20 PM
nah man...totally different string of emails. Even though your jellyfish were non existant, the report is safe at home with me.

tommat
07-10-2006, 07:08 PM
did soundking just call me golfer dude?