PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: commuter car!

detra-tone
07-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Hey guys,

If anyone is considering trading their commuter-type car, let me know, I'm sure I could do better than the dealer...

I'm looking for a 1998+ econobox that gets 35-40 mpg, must have A/C. Looking to spend as little as possible.

Thanks

DonW
07-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Not to be too much of a PIA, but where is the fishing content or even association with fishing????

DaleH
07-10-2006, 10:18 AM
http://www.cs.unm.edu/~aaron/images/europeweb/SmartCar-10.jpg

Bob Parsons
07-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Not to be too much of a PIA, but where is the fishing content or even association with fishing????

Why this comment was made I don't know. Of course it is a fishing related question. Have you seen the price of gas lately? Need a car that sips gas to afford to travel to fishing places. I know I've cut back on my trips due to fuel costs.

Howie
07-10-2006, 05:52 PM
My neighbor stopped in the other night. She had one of the new Hybrids. First of all, the thing had enough displays to make Darth Vader jealous while he was sitting in the death-star. She only drives from Falmouth to Hyannis, so more or less city driving.

The main display showed 57.3MPG. She paid about $20K for a Toyota Matrix.

I'm a relatively big guy 6'2" 225 and I fit fine. Given the amount of driving I do to/from work (150miles roundtrip) it would save me about $250/mo, or a very big part of a payment.

Looks a little odd, but who cares, looking good in the boat is waaaaay more important......

Jstand3
07-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Have you looked at Hyundai's? I'm not sure what they are going for though private sales or on the dealer lots, but at least in FL they tend to be at or below 3-4K in the auction for an early 2002-2003 models still well within the 100K warranty.

I'm not knocking hybrids, I think they are a great concept and will become more prolific as gas prices continue to climb, but there are still some concerns I have about them. If I had a short enough commute to lease a hybrid then it wouldn't justify the added cost, but while the my commute is long enough to offset the cost, I worry that the cost of batteries and other repairs may be cost prohibitive once its out of warranty.

One thing that may or may not still be true about hybrids is they are programmed for either low emissions, or better economy. I'm not sure about current ones, but early Toyotas were aimed at lower city emmisions so they used the electric more around town, while Honda was looking for higher mileage, and they used the gas engine around town and the electric was engaged on the highway.

For the time being I'll continue to drive my truck - It only gets 18-19 mpg (diesel), but its paid for http://www.reel-time.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif and my current commute is only 60 miles round trip.

Good Luck in the search.

detra-tone
07-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys. I have 120miles round trip M-F. Plus, about the same on weekends when I can hit the water, 20 mpg in the truck is killing me, so Bob's right--this is fishing related. With the new kid, I'd prefer not to add a car payment.

DonW, I don't think I disguised my post as containing any fishing content, so why be a PIA? You don't happen to work on a used car lot do you?

If the moderators would like to delete my post, go ahead, I apologize, because we all know that there are only fishing-related posts on this site.

A while back, not wanting to go through the trouble of a private sale, I got ripped while trading in a vehicle, and would have much preferred to give the same deal to a fellow fisherman. Thought someone here might be in the same position that I was.

DonW
07-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Excuse my rude comment- I thought this was a (fly) fishing board- i guess if we can have posts about eels and sluggos (notoriouisly difficult to cast with a fly rod) we certainly can have used car material/ Drive on dude

Ditch Jigger
07-11-2006, 08:58 AM
You know, on other boards where I help moderate, I get the same complaints about content via e-mail or PM. My usual response is---the subject of the post was clear from the title. Who held your hand and forced you to click the mouse on it?

detra-tone
07-11-2006, 10:24 PM
No worries. Hopefully I'll be able to post some FF-related material after this weekend...