PDA

View Full Version : Save Fat Albert

phillyflyguy
07-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Anyone got any ideas for decreasing Albie mortality this season?

Every year I see more and more people targeting them and more and more dead Albies in the wash on the bottom or on the beach...

Last fall I saw too many spin guys targeting the speedsters on ultralight tackle - for everyone they landed (almost dead) they broke off five - sending them to davey jones' locker with 50 yrds of mono and a hook (sometimes trebles) in their mouth

Is a gentle tail grab and a deep torpedo the best C&R method?

flyfshr1
07-10-2006, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure if the tail grab and torpedo is the best way but its the only way i know. I think the right tackle is the key. I had some guys by me fishing for them with 6 and 7 wt rods last year and it just totally exhausted the fish. Even if you know how to fight a fish properly with a fly rod the 6 and 7 wt just take too much out of the fish.

tommat
07-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Part of the problem is guys fish drags way to light and don't put enough pressure on the fish to land them in a safe amount of time. I have put the screws to 12lb fish on 10wt flyrods that barely made it into the backing...I then hear guys talking about 100+ yard runs!!! I only killed one that I know about when I was new to them and just didn't know any better. Didn't feel good watching it sink. Been much better ever since...

phillyflyguy
07-11-2006, 01:38 AM
anyone fishing albies on a 6 or 7 wt. should be chummed

vineyard fisher
07-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Amen to all the comments about inappropriate tackle that is too light for albies. A couple of years ago, out on Wasque, there was a guy in the lineup catching them on a whipstick steelhead salmon rod. Every time he would hook one, it was a 15 minute fight up and down the beach with everyone having to clear out of the way as he came up and down the beach with a stupid grin on his face. All the fish he caught died. My fishing buddies and I told him to give it up, and that we would not clear out for him any longer. A guess a half a dozen angry guys gritting down on him was enought to make him leave. Fishermen have to teach each other, one way or the other. --123-3

p.s. I would avoid the tail grab if possible - instead support the fish with one hand underneath and one on the tail. That way there is less stress on tail vertebrae.

albacized
07-11-2006, 03:52 PM
I don't like those fish traps that are placed just off the West Wall of the Harbor of Refuge in Pt Judith, RI. Aside from that, I agree with everyone regarding fighting albies on appropriate sized gear. With that said, some people play them soft no matter what sized gear they use. When told not to 'horse' them in, these fishermen go to the opposite extreme.

phillyflyguy
07-11-2006, 04:48 PM
I fish a 10 wt. and as soon as they stop their initial run I take it to em as hard as tackle permits - usually they make another mini run when they see the boat or shore

cool yeah - i always supporta light tail grab with my other hand

I was on MV two Septembers ago and caught the tail end of their annual tournament - to my amazement people were keeping every albie landed !- it was ridiculous...

To counter all the negative stories...A few years ago on BI my buddy and I were fishing alongside a burly beer-bellied metal hucker. We were hitting big albies on the fly right beside this guy and he was goin nuts - he finally got into one - I'm sure his first ever - he landed it quickly and then proceeded to drag it up on the sand while we watched aghast.

Luckily the hook was out quick but then we realized he had no clue how to torpedo the fish - he was trying to wash the fish back and forth like a Bass and we started to grow concerned. We yelled over and motioned to torpedo the fish- the guy was genuinely perplexed and realizing as well that the fish was failing. Then he started throwing the fish kinda like youd set down a heavy pipe... the fish sank in about 3 feet of water to the bottom and the guy retrieved it and tried it twice more

As we started to walk quickly over, the guys final attempt left the fish laying on the bottom in about 25feet of water - (it was gin clear and we could see it clearly). My buddy and I cursed ourselves for not getting there a little quicker and figured that was one dead albie...when to our amazement the spin guy dove into the water -partially clothed. We thought - great - this guy is nuts now we are gonna have to rescue him....but the guy swam out and did a surface dive, swam down and grabbed the albie

he brought it up and my buddy immedeately grabbed it and torpedoed it hard and away it swam...

Impressive.

Flyfoto
07-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Good thread. I always encourage my clients to fish a 10 or 11wt, use the drag and put some heat on the fish. Every little bit helps when trying to keep the mortality rate down. We all know its hard with pelegics because they fight so hard. Even if they swim away who knows if they make it. mcMurray had a good piece two weeks ago in the opener on the NY/NJ reports just about this subject.

Perch
07-13-2006, 07:24 PM
I use a nine weight. Probably should use a 10. I also use 20-lb. fluoro carbon since they're not leader shy. One reason a lot of them die is guys keep fishing around in their mouths when they're deep hooked. A disgorger--the kind that slips over the line and you shove down to the hook--saves a lot of albies. I agree that the tail grab is the only way. The torpedo drop gives them a charge of O2. Thank God they taste so vile. I tried cooking one 25 years ago. It literally stunk me out of the house.

PhilDKreal
07-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Thank God they taste so vile. I tried cooking one 25 years ago. It literally stunk me out of the house.

No doubt. If these fish tasted like sushi-grade tuna, they'd be wiped in in 2 years.

Agreed that you've got to be smart about fighting, 20# tippet and tighten up with the 10wt. most of the Albies in the Montauk area are probably single digit fish and can be played with a tight drag after the initial run.

--username-deleted--
07-22-2006, 08:39 PM
As we started to walk quickly over, the guys final attempt left the fish laying on the bottom in about 25feet of water - (it was gin clear and we could see it clearly). My buddy and I cursed ourselves for not getting there a little quicker and figured that was one dead albie...when to our amazement the spin guy dove into the water -partially clothed. We thought - great - this guy is nuts now we are gonna have to rescue him....but the guy swam out and did a surface dive, swam down and grabbed the albie

he brought it up and my buddy immedeately grabbed it and torpedoed it hard and away it swam...

Impressive.

Neat story! 'Atta boys all around. :)