PDA

View Full Version : Bait in harbors

averagejoe
07-14-2006, 11:14 AM
I vaguely remember seeing swells of bait under the lights in Beverly harbor in the not too distant past all summer long (10 years ago) - 2 inch herring, spike macks, large schools of squid--with bass pounding them from underneath.

I haven't seen any this year or any for the last 3-4 years with the exception of a few small schools of sand eels more towards the mouth. Is this now the norm or am I just remembering more of the august/september bait balls that came in?

BigBoatDog
07-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Joe,
I remember more bait in a wider variety of sizes. There were herring and spike macs a couple of years ago that did not show last year but then the pogies made up for it. There are squid around but still not the numbers of the past. I have not seen as many pogies as last year either.
BBD

Markymark
07-14-2006, 07:45 PM
The good old days,.... in Beverly Harbor,if you needed bait..the was plenty of it. I can remember fishing on an old raft in the Danvers River at night and watch the pogies come in through the Kernwood Bridge.......The harbor would have a ton of macks between the (old) bridge and the pier for about a week,...they would not leave! Hmm...I wonder why? :confused: --125-3