PDA

View Full Version : La Salina Cuba

peanuts
07-25-2006, 07:24 AM
Having fished Cayo Largo last year my fishing buddy and I are looking at going to La Salina flyfishing for Bonefish early next year has anybody any information. :)

english
07-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Fished Las Salinas last November . We arrived in Havana just as the hurricane clipped the corner of Cuba , much of downtown havana was flooded

Made it to las salinas a few days late. Fanatastic bonefishing, very naive fish (caught a few by jigging the fly at the rod tip !) , most around 3lbs with a few around 6-6 1/2 lbs.
Some friends of mine went on an organised trip and I went along when one of them had to unfortunatley cancel.
I think the name of the place we stayed at was the Hotel Playa Larga ... very basic no toilet seat , bare wires sticking out of the walls ... but the food was ok (lobster , fish, pork etc) .
It was about an hour drive to the flats from the hotel , most of this down a really rough road , probably need a 4wd or something with good clearance .
The guides there use small plastic boats/canoes, I got out and walked as much as the flats allowed (a bit swampy in places). Unfortunatley you cannot access the flats without a guide . Theres a checkpoint with a guard that prevents access to the park , although one morning we arrived in darkness to nearly run down a load of local poachers in the track ( I guess you could team up with them)

There are a few permit to be caught there , but I did not see any. Very good fly fishing for small tarpon nearby at Rio Hatingo (I had around 50+ one day from 2lbs to around 20lb).

Any specific questions give me a shout!