PDA

View Full Version : Attention Flyrodders: Large Bass Alert

tunawishin'
07-26-2006, 07:18 PM
This site is often used for anything but flyfishing info unless you read between the lines...I am admittedly one of the tuna clan culprits and am only a closet flyrodder at best. But here is a legitimate tip for fly guys who want a larger bass and have a decent boat:

Go to the vacintity of the Northwest corner of Stellwagen and look for the birds and whales. If you she slashing fish in the mix of gulls and shearwaters like I did, you 'll find very catchable bass from 15-30 pounds. I caught 2 at 25 # and moved on to search for tuna. Found none. Returned to find only whales and more whales, could'nt find the bass again. When they were present they readily took a diamond jig and deadly dick in green and were sipping and slashing at the sandeels. I'm sure sandeel pattern streamers would be deadly with a 9 or 10 wt.

Totally feasable with a decent boat and calm conditions if you can cast and avoid hanging up on the flocks of birds. Once you drift into and around the action, you could actually sight cast to the big girls by scouting it out from the bow.

Just a thought from a tuna clown...

Steve

Smcdermott
07-26-2006, 07:25 PM
I don't know that area very well but I thought all of Stellwagon was in the EEZ. Is that not the case?

featherbaiter
07-26-2006, 07:30 PM
It would be too bad if you were targeting Tuna with a 10 wt and hung a 30# Bass instead :brow

e-sea-e
07-26-2006, 07:37 PM
I don't know that area very well but I thought all of Stellwagon was in the EEZ. Is that not the case?

theres a reason I havent posted much in the last month.

Soundking
07-26-2006, 07:40 PM
theres a reason I havent posted much in the last month.

didd-f*ckin-o

Well, at least we got a month out of them before the top got blown off too bad...

And Sean, yes it is the case. Technically those are bluefish out there. Bluefish.

TimSt
07-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Whether you believe the EEZ should be open to fishing or not is one thing. To blatantly violate the law is another.

FireFly
07-26-2006, 08:03 PM
I wish I had the magic fishing rod which when dialed in properly would only allow one species of fish to tug on the other end but this is as much of a reality as the state of MA becoming a red state in the years to come.

When fishing the NW corner or anywhere else for that matter it's impossible to predict what you'll catch. But it is not wise to direct others to a location in the EEZ for the sole purpose of catching big bass.

Not trying to call anyone out because this is a sensitive topic and I am sure everyone will have an opinion on it. As for me, my one trip to the NW Corner this year did not even land me any bluefish --124-3

uptonfloyd
07-26-2006, 08:20 PM
I would cheat on my wife before I would cheat in fishing...and I love my wife.

Those of you who would cheat to get into big fish are no better than the poachers many of you complain about who keep under-sized bass.

Play by the rules, or don't play at all.

SherpaT
07-26-2006, 08:26 PM
I hope you guys are kidding.

Smcdermott
07-26-2006, 08:30 PM
When fishing the NW corner or anywhere else for that matter it's impossible to predict what you'll catch. But it is not wise to direct others to a location in the EEZ for the sole purpose of catching big bass.

You know that may be true from time to time but to use it an excuse to blatantly break the law is bull $H!T. Not two threads ago everyone on this board was talking about the need for more protection for the herring. You can't preach for more laws and regulations just to obey the ones you choose. If Soundbite and the others are half the fisherman they claim to be, they can certainly tell the differnce between a bass bite and bluefish bite. Nevermind SBFT! As Tim said. Work to change the law if you don't like it but until then you are just as bad as the poacher Riptide outed and everyone jumped all over.

Sean

e-sea-e
07-26-2006, 08:31 PM
simmer down boys. lets get one thing clear: you cant TARGET bass out there. I have been enjoying catching the huge bluefish out in the EEZ, 41 inches, 16 pounds is the best one ive gotten so far, and yes, once in a while we get some bass. its about a 15-1 ratio. they all go back, no harm no foul. you gonna tell me I cant fish for blues on stellwagen cause I might catch a few bass incidently? Id rather catch a 15 pound blue than a 30 pounder striper any day of the week, they fight much better, and I dont eat stripers much anyway, so catching bass and throwing them back is not a big deal for me, i throw back 99.999% of the bass i catch anyway.

So, I guess no one should be out there unless they plan to catch ground fish, tuna or watch whales. Wait, sometimes people catch stripers while cod/haddock fishing, so I guess they cant go out there either, shut down the summer cod/haddock season in the eez. And sometimes stripers will hit spreader bars or other trolling tuna gear, so all the commercial tuna guys should beat it out of there too, so shut down the tuna season for all who troll. You could chunk for tuna, but, no, that wont work, stripers might eat the chunks. so just forget tuna fishing the way 90% of those out there do it. I guess you could drive around and look for bluefish bltizes, but sometimes you'll get stripers mixed in, so thats not an option either.

By the logic of some of the above posters, no one should be fishing the bank unless you are sight fishing to crashing tuna or harpooning giants. everyone else is a poacher and a cheat. thats a pretty broad brush boys.

again, theres a reason I havent posted much here lately.

JimC
07-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Are you guys aware that NMFS monitors sites like this? That's all I'll say about that.

Smcdermott
07-26-2006, 08:50 PM
E-sea,

Like I said, I know it will happen from time to time and I too have targeted big blues in the EEZ. But if there is a clear bass bite I put the rod down. That is the law as you stated. You cannot target them. The poster was obviously saying he went back to target the bass. I agree you can get your ass handed to you on this site for some pretty silly stuff but on this topic I don't see the downside. If nothing else maybe one or two ignorant folks out there lurking don't know the rules. I didn't lay into anyone on the first post as who knows maybe they didn't know any better. The later replies obviously did.

Sean

e-sea-e
07-26-2006, 08:57 PM
E-sea,

Like I said, I know it will happen from time to time and I too have targeted big blues in the EEZ. But if there is a clear bass bite I put the rod down. That is the law as you stated. You cannot target them. The poster was obviously saying he went back to target the bass. I agree you can get your ass handed to you on this site for some pretty silly stuff but on this topic I don't see the downside. If nothing else maybe one or two ignorant folks out there lurking don't know the rules. I didn't lay into anyone on the first post as who knows maybe they didn't know any better. The later replies obviously did.

Sean

I agree completely sean, my original point was not lost on you at least. notice i didnt mention fishing out there in my first post.

and for the record, I have not seen a real "Bass bite" out there, like fish slashing though bait that are clearly bass. havent even seen the blues doing it. If I did, I wouldnt target the bass, plain and simple.

To post a nice polite public service reply informing people who may not know the rules of what the rules are or to send someone a PM is one thing, but to get the responses above is a little ridiculous.

but, I'll get flamed anyway. par for the course. I could care less, because I am following the rules. may as well flame me for keeping a 40 inch bass caught off singing beach.

SherpaT
07-26-2006, 09:03 PM
E-Sea
That's a lot clearer! It's understandable that your original post along w/ JJ's raised some eyebrows, no?
Thanks for clarifying.

FireFly
07-26-2006, 09:09 PM
E,

I don't think anyone was targeting you nor do I think anyone here thinks you have done anything wrong.

The issue is with the 1st post who targeted bass in the EEZ twice in one day. To incidently catch one while fishing is one thing and no one can be called out for that but to target them and continue to fish for them in the EEZ is not only wrong but it's against the law.

And I agree, people should be given a lot of $hit for participating in this type of activity, much the same as poachers who are caught poaching.

tunawishin'
07-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Isn't the letter of the law that it is not permissible to have a bass in your posession in the EEZ? Posession is not the same as targeting or incidntal catches, it means it is on your boat or in your box...

I really don't think that targeting fish for catch and release on flies will result in any substantial mortality nor does it constitute any breach of integrity or define cheating.

I'm just another fishing enthusiast relaying some positive information on site that often shares info. I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble or tip off the Fed.s. Perhaps I never should've posted it...jeez

e-sea-e
07-26-2006, 09:14 PM
E-Sea
That's a lot clearer! It's understandable that your original post along w/ JJ's raised some eyebrows, no?
Thanks for clarifying.

tim, my original post was directed at how some people have a high horse next to them just waiting for chance to get on it. sean has explained himself and I see his point and agree with it. I hope my position is clear now, and your welcome, I did feel a need to clarify.

riptide
07-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Isn't the letter of the law that it is not permissible to have a bass in your posession in the EEZ? Posession is not the same as targeting or incidntal catches, it means it is on your boat or in your box...

I really don't think that targeting fish for catch and release on flies will result in any substantial mortality nor does it constitute any breach of integrity or define cheating.

I'm just another fishing enthusiast relaying some positive information on site that often shares info. I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble or tip off the Fed.s. Perhaps I never should've posted it...jeez

Atlantic striped bass EEZ fishery regulations

Recreational and Commercial fisheries -

EEZ closed to all striped bass possession or fishing. Atlantic Striped Bass may not be fished for, harvested, retained, or possessed in or from the EEZ. One exception - within Block Island Sound, possession of Atlantic striped bass is permitted, provided no fishing takes place from the vessel while in this EEZ area and the vessel is in continuous transit through the area. This area is north of a line connecting Montauk Light, Montauk Point, NY, and Block Island Southeast Light, Block Island, RI; and west of a line connecting Point Judith Light, Point Judith, RI, and Block Island Southeast Light, Block Island, RI.

FireFly
07-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Terry,

Is CCB also excluded from the EEZ Regulations?

Soundking
07-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Argh g*ddamnit! You guys need to lighten up! My post was intending to prevent people from targeting bass illegally un-intentionally. Boats are out there. Boats are checking the contents of other boats. Boats are making sure the regs are being followed.

uhhh...dude first of all if you're gonna call me out, put some effort into your insults. Seriously. Soundbite? Hellen Keller has said wittier things than that. That was pretty brutal. Like I said, I am fishing for big bluefish out there. Yes, there are bass mixed in as incidental catches but they are not targeted. In all honesty dude, I would if I were you, and slayed fish like you do, I would be more concerned about the draggers that are out there putting the HURT on those bass. Not a guy dredging up bluefish with about a 10-1 blues to bass ratio. You're chirping up a big game from someone who hasn't been out there at all and seen what this is all about. 99% of the time it is schools of sandeels up on top occasionally spraying. When they spray, you make a shot into them, let your line sink to the baking and start stripping. Most of the time, it's a toad bluefish. <5% of the time it's a 35-45 inch bass. More so, people are out there for the whale show. But, it is far from and has been far from for a while a bass bite. Let me restate this just to make sure we are eye to eye on this thing. There are bass mixed in as incidental catches but they are not targeted.

I am so ready to say f*ck it with this site. You can't say one thing without some self-righteous douchebag jumping all over you. Christ.

Trident
07-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Joe-

My understanding is that Cape Cod Bay is not excluded for the EEZ. For instance, say you're from Gloucester (they're always from Glosssstah) and you buzzed over to the Race near P-town and caught some bass within state waters. In order to stay legal, you would have to follow the coastline of the cape (within 3 miles of land) all the down to the canal and then back up the mainland coast until you arrived back in Gloucester. If you took the shortcut across the bay via Stellwagen, you are technically in violation of the law because you'd be in possession of a striper in federal waters.

This is my understanding of the law and I do not profess to be an expert. If I am mistaken.....please correct me.

e-sea-e
07-26-2006, 09:51 PM
youre right, JJ, last time i was out there there was an environmental police boat- a big one, 40+ feet- just off the bank on the way back to gloucester. pretty sure they were ready to either go onto the bank or check boats on the way in.

Smcdermott
07-26-2006, 09:51 PM
uh dude, sorry I didn't put more effort into it. It was a spur of the moment reaction to a post I was sorry to see you make. What happened to the Ginger Kid line. That was mildly humerous. I was one of ten white kids at my highschool so you are gonna have to do better than that if you want to get under my skin. I don't have any animosity toward you but you appear to be backtracking on this one. I don't think anyone reading that post would have read it the way you are trying to clarify now. I just called it the way I saw it. My point was I am just as concerned about the draggers and that if we as a population of recreational fisherman want to have some credibility at the table we need to obey the rules so we aren't just seen as a greedy bunch of resource grabbers. Even a libertarian such as yourself has to understand that rules are rules.

Sean
AKA Opie Taylor, Ron Howard, Carrot Top...

Soundking
07-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the chuckle at the end there. I wasn't intending to get under your skin either, please don't take me seriously. To your point though, gotcha. I understand where you are coming from. It would just be appreciated if you weren't so quick to make snap decisions, as often times there is a lot more than what is posted going on. Like I said, it is not often that you see bass on the surface out there. You mark fish under bait that's on the surface suspended 20 feet or so below them, dredge for them, and most of the time it's bluefish. Mostly for me, it's an excuse for me to be out where I have been expecting the tuna to pop up for the past four weeks now. I can go out there and scout, play with some bluefish and keep a rod ready for the tuna. That's all. I was just trying to keep things tight lipped about this for the exact reason as what this thread has become. Sorry if I offended anyone as I always do. I am an awful person who has a corner office reserved in hell. I'm tired, goodnight and goodluck.

bunker
07-26-2006, 10:04 PM
The beatings will continue until morale improves!!!

saltyric
07-27-2006, 05:45 AM
What a great site. One guy posts a little advice/report and the rest of the "Hero's" jump all over him........
And these same people probably wonder why there are not more reports!

SherpaT
07-27-2006, 07:25 AM
I ran across a good trout fishing board from out west over the winter. There was intense bickering about things like property rights, water rights, strike indicators, etc. When things got too intense, someone posted a "Warm Wholesome Thread Devoted to Pictures of B**bies and Pie" (actual pie: apple, blueberry etc. Not a metaphor for anything unseemly.) The thread got about 700 entertaining and graphic replies, and all the bickering stopped.
Now I'm not suggesting anyone here do that, but it does illustrate that we're not the only ones passionate for our sport, who occasionally take ourselves too seriously.

Too Fly
07-27-2006, 07:45 AM
"All I need to say is that you're all trifling and you ALL need Jesus."

Sorry, I just found out that a very good friend of mine is now Born Again. Not that there's anything wrong with that (clearing throat), I'm glad he finds strength in his new religion. But last time we spoke on the phone to catch up, he read the bible to me for over fifteen minutes. --124-3

And apparently, his favorite thing to say now is "you're a trifling brutha, you need Jesus." :brow

RogerStg
07-27-2006, 07:46 AM
Joe-

My understanding is that Cape Cod Bay is not excluded for the EEZ. For instance, say you're from Gloucester (they're always from Glosssstah) and you buzzed over to the Race near P-town and caught some bass within state waters. In order to stay legal, you would have to follow the coastline of the cape (within 3 miles of land) all the down to the canal and then back up the mainland coast until you arrived back in Gloucester. If you took the shortcut across the bay via Stellwagen, you are technically in violation of the law because you'd be in possession of a striper in federal waters.

This is my understanding of the law and I do not profess to be an expert. If I am mistaken.....please correct me.

Not exactly, the state waters (not EEZ) runs from about 3 miles north of race point, roughly west to just north of green harbor.

Your point is the same though, it is illegal for you to have any bass in your possession if you go into the EEZ, except for the exception in RI.

Frankie G
07-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Hopefully when the tuna show up en masse all this crazy bickering BS can stop. Obviously the fishing is slow hence all the back and forth ****ing matches, and that is not to say that I do consider there to be some value to the thread. Truth is you cannot predict what you catch. If I wanted to target some decent blues, I would likely head to the bank or within the confines of the EEZ. If I inadvertently caught a striper, back she goes, immediatley no questions asked. I do agree that to say " Well we could just say we were targeting bluefish" is trying to come in under the radar and is a bit sleezy. Considering that the same method of fishing can attract a variety of species to the hook, there in lies the issue. The fishing has been slow and, at least in my travels, I find myself blind casting alot more as I just have not seen the bait or the birds working. Therefore, if you can identify that what you see are bass in that zone, chill out, enjoy it for what it is, and move along. The only solution as far as I can see would be to close down any recreational or commercial fishing on the bank and within the EEZ and keep it all inshore. But that is unrealistic and unreasonable. Be responsible for your actions and honest in your intended targeted species. It's a big ocean. I know the spark started by stating that bass were easy pickins on the NW corner of the bank (which is clearly against the law as then one would be intentionally targeting them) so I can see how it all got started. Those who choose to target this species in the EEZ will likely be then targeted by the EPO's, as I have seen several of them in the area and they are more than willing to investigate anyone out there.

SteepBank
07-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Freshwater flyrodders will recognize this debate in regards to 'targeting' broodstock atlantic salmon in NH. ok, the law reads youcannot 'target' them, however in the same stretch of river there are browns to 7 pounds and big rainbows and large smallmouth. now I have seen guys down there with little 4 and 5 weights fishing large streamers. I ran into one guy (who I reported) that bragged how easy it was to get salmon without buying a stamp and how the rangers couldnt 'prove' targeting. In other words its pretty easy to break the law and not get busted if your so inclined. (i.e the wardens are very aware of this practise, if you feel the urge to try I dont reccomend it). I am not as familier with the areas being spoken of, but its kind of the same thing. I dont want to fight with anyone over this I just thought the parralel was interesting.

SK, keep posting kid

Bob Parsons
07-27-2006, 08:00 AM
Obviously the fishing can't be too good since you guys have too much time on your hands to bash each other.

1. first post. Guy targetted bass.
A refresher of EEZ and Stellwagon desirable.
2. other posts basically a mix of misread garbage.

3. Check your charts Cape Cod Bay is exculded from the EEZ . Line runes from 3 miles off Race pt WNW across the bay.

4 Thanks Terry for finding and posting the regs before me.

5. no further discussion on the original post required.