PDA

View Full Version : Androscoggin

casual dress
08-22-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm going to Errol in the middle of September to fish the Androscoggin. I've never fished these waters before and I'mm looking for some advise. We're camping at Molldridgwok State Park. I've made reservations but is there another park that might be better for our purposes?
Any advice on locations and/or fly selection would be greatly appreciated.

Roland-----

Go Fish
08-23-2006, 12:32 PM
The first 5 or so river miles below Erol are a blast. It trades off between fast and slow water so the fishing is really diverse. Fast water holds trout. Slow water holds angry smallies. Rte 16 runs right along the river so unless you are floating (I think this is the best way to fish it) plan on being in and out of the car/truck a bunch so you can cover a bunch of water.

As far as your campgroung choice: I don't think it matters. I would just consider it a place to go after you have floated or car fished to sleep and eat.

I've had the best luck swinging streamers on a sink tip line and high stick nymphing pocket water for trout. For smallies try poppers and streamers fished aggressively

casual dress
08-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the info GO FISH. I would realy like to catch some smallies. The trout are great but they don't pull or jump like sm. I also got some good info from the Clearwater Fish Shop board in Conway. Thanks again. I'll let you know how we did when I return.

Roland---

Go Fish
09-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Well?????? How'd it go?