PDA

View Full Version : East 8/25

ruge13
08-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Short Version - Slow day, half way decent weather, no surface feeds so no fly--124-3 , 1 fish on a Mag 30 down deep below the spread near some whales. Cedar chains that slayed days before never got touched.

Long version - Different plan today with the weather building and reg change. Plan was to start early, hope to run into something on top on the way to old numbers which are beyond the range we wanted to hit in the forcasted weather and put a legal fish in the boat, then run back inshore and pound Crab or the BC. Started out in the dark making close friends with the Sand bar at the mouth of pleasant bay. Gave her a little back rub or good measure but was a nerve racking couple seconds of being splashed around a bit until we slid off it. Got out past crab a bit around the tale end of false dawn and found some birds actively working. Lines in but nothing came of it and the birds screwed off after a few passes, decided to press on. Ran a cedar chain behind a bird lond, cedar chain behind and outrover left. Short GM bar 10-20ft back. Black squid bar 30ft back right, and a Mag 30 somewhere under that. Weather was decent so with an eye on the wind change we ran to the same numbers as the past couple trips. Fleet grew a bit to somewhere over 20 boats before we lost count. Stayed outside the fleet and worked a pod of whales and some rafts of Sheerwaters. After an hour the SE wind had come up a bit and started to change directions a little more westerly. If it made the switch to N we would be in for a bumpy ride so we decided not to be greedy and the decision was made to head in closer to home--124-3 with no fish. As I turned to grab the handle on the 50 to pull in, the 30 next to me with a Repala mag 30 under the far bar starts singing--127-3-. Fish dumps a little line then stops when I slid up to 20lb strike. Thinking small fish but good enough I start working it back, felt light. Fish decided thats not where it wants to be and dumps the 100 yd top shot all the way to the bottom at 20 lbs drag. Now I am excited, I'm thinking bigger fish. Straight up and down and I'm having trouble lifting it a little. Almost went to the back brace. 10 minutes later and a few more short runs down deep and we have color. 40" class fish but hooked back in the Gill plate. Explains the trouble lifting it. Fought a lot harder than any of the other 40" fish we've caught in the past couple days. Thing was ****ed off at the surface splashing all over then going nuts in the boat spraying blood everywhere. Pleasant change from the short lived fight of the others.

Stomach was empty. Fish hit near some actively feeding whales moveing down sea around 4 over water, 5 gps speed. Not sure what the tide was then. Water temps were 68-69 where we got the fish, 66-67 on Crab, 63 inshore all the way home. Never did see that north wind NOAA was calling for but was 10-15 out of the SE and 2-3's as predicted.

Processed the fish and ran inshore to Crab. Set up just outside the fleet for a couple hours blind. Nothing, no visible life either. Seas started building a little past 3's with more frequency so we headed in. Off the water around 11am but at least we had dinner.:cool:

Jacob K.
08-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Shaun
I think you have a typo, or did you keep at 40" fish?
Jacob

nsvencer
08-26-2006, 04:33 PM
August 25th...?

tunnie md
08-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Shaun
Jacob

What is the typo?

sage fly guy
08-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Shaun
Jacob

Heck, if I was him I would have kept 2 40" fish. My sashimi stash ran out and I'm dyin' for some.

chris

Jacob K.
08-26-2006, 07:26 PM
i thought they had to be 47"???

Soundking
08-26-2006, 07:57 PM
The start of "The Pity Slot" began friday, J. 25th-15th 1@27-47, 2@47-73

sage fly guy
08-26-2006, 08:42 PM
i thought they had to be 47"???

As JJ pointed out, Thursday they did, Friday they added a bonus under 47" fish.

I like that it's still 2@47"+, lots of sashimi.

chris

Jacob K.
08-26-2006, 09:19 PM
The start of "The Pity Slot" began friday, J. 25th-15th 1@27-47, 2@47-73
and rippy took me out 2 days early --124-3