PDA

View Full Version : got my mojo workin..north shore tuna report 9/22/06

e-sea-e
09-22-2006, 06:45 PM
I haven’t been posting much about fish I’ve caught so far this year, but today was special, b/c I finally got my mojo back, so here goes.

I have caught my share of tuna this year, but they all came on trips out with people I don’t usually fish with on thier boats.( Thanks for the rides guys, you know who you are)

However, I had yet to put a fish on my buddy’s boat, which I run when we head out. First, we saw and had good shots at A LOT of fish early this year, but couldn’t buy a bite. Then, every time out we went north when we should have gone south, east when the bite was west, etc.. We also fell victim to the dreaded “you should have seen the bite an hour ago" and the even worse “you should have seen the bite after you left”. I was beginning to think that either the boat or my buddy john had some kind of curse or some really bad mojo that killed my usual supply of good mojo whenever I was on his boat. Today, that curse, or whatever it was, was broken in a big way.

Before I go any further, let me give a big shout of thanks to tuna hunter, who keyed us in on a good bite. Thanks again Merrill, I owe you one!

We started on a well-known bank, at the northern end of it, and found a pod of fish right off the bat. Some good shots, but no joy. Dam, here we go again. Then the fish disappear. After an hour or so of fruitless looking, I spoke with Merrill who gave me some numbers where he was getting fish. I was on my way to the general area, but that clinched it. So, off we go.

We get about 2/3rds of the way there when we see a good feed. We get to it, it stops. We blind cast. A fish boils on my buddy’s popper, but doesn’t strike. A fish slams my popper 4 feet in the air. No hook ups. We wait around, and in about 10 minutes they are back. We get to them, position the boat upwind to cast with the wind with john in the bow and me in the back so we can both work the pod on different sides. BOOM! John hooks up. BOOM! I hook up. DOUBLE!!!!

John looses his fish after a couple minutes to a pulled hook, but I get mine to the boat. It’s a nice40-50 lber, and we are about to break the curse and boat the first tuna for johns boat. Then the trouble starts. John cant reach the tail when grabbing the leader with his other hand. So he grabs the popper so he can reach the fish’s tail and SNAP! The fish freaked and the rear trebles broke out of a yozuri popper. We are bummed, but we call it a landed fish and move on. But we both know the curse is not broken.

After 15 minutes of looking, we find another good pod. We both cast and ANOTHER DOUBLE HOOK UP!! These fish were both screaming out line even with the drag set at 14lbs. Eventually we get them up close to the boat and they start to spiral a bit. Mine runs near johns and the next thing we know, our lines are twisted up! We can see where they are twisted and while fighting my fish I manage to get my rod over and under johns and the fish separate. Shortly thereafter, both are landed. Both were right around 40-50 pounds, one 42 inches one is 43 inches. The curse is broken and johns boat is on the board for 2006. It was also john’s first tuna of the year.

The action died down after that, and due to some fiancÚ commitments I had to call it a day. But the fish were just crushing the poppers, never saw the bait they were on but I’d guess half beaks or spike macs due to the aggressive nature of the fish. The key to finding the fish was watching the groups of shearwaters. Pics below of the fish we landed after the 2nd double hook up. They are both the same size, but mines in my lap and john’s is like 4 feet in front of him!

All in all a good day, but I’m still embarrassed the first tuna of 2006 on johns boat came this late. But, with the mojo back and curse broken, I am hoping many more will follow!

tmillerzzz
09-23-2006, 05:47 AM
Ditto on the "Merrill I owe you one!" The guy knows his stuff and is willing the share knowledge....he took my tuna cherry this year!

Merrill your the MAN!

Tuna Hunter
09-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. It makes my day helping fellow fisherman good guys like Eric and Tim get on the fish. Plenty of guys have helped me get on the fish and I know those guys would do the same in a heartbeat.
Now the weather watching and hoping for Wednesday.
Who's headed out Wednesday ??
Merrill

e-sea-e
09-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Im hoping to do a thursday-sunday blow off work fish through the weekend deal, but we'll see.

thanks again merril!

VinnyV
09-24-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm hoping on getting out on my first Tuna trip of the seaon on Tuesday or Wednesday..

Vin

FishSticks
09-25-2006, 08:12 AM
e-se-e

Nice work! Nice fish! All the looking and no catching gets to be a killer. I've gotta get geared for the troll bite next year for when the spin stuff just isn't happening. Maybe a more capable rig next year too.

Merrill has helped me out as well. I appreciate his help. I also owe a thank you to the captain of Naughty Girl.

I'm hoping to get out on Wednesday. I think I'm having ethanol related problems so I'm not so sure I'll run out. Hope you guys crush em if you do!

Cliff