PDA

View Full Version : 9/22/23 Report from MOntauk (Mystery fish)

mikisabicus
09-25-2006, 08:53 AM
I added the pic of my mystery fish from 9/22 - note the gorgeous north-side bluffs of Gardiners...that's a purdy spot...

"After obsessively looking forward to my 9/22 Montauk trip I can now report to you that it was a dissapointment.

The weather was nothing short of perfect. Only problem was the eneormous swells and the fleet of boats swarming like gnats.

I usually fish Tuesdays or Wednesdays, but this year I needed to get out on a Friday. What a bummer. Every time my pal and I found fish on the periphery of the fleet we'd have three 27' contenders barreling down on us in seconds.

I banged a few blues and missed some albie shots - I was a mess that day - and decided to head west to scout out some solitary spots. circled the entire Island of Gardiners and was only ablte to pick up a few schoolie bass on the North side - otherwise there wasn't a fish up-top ANYWHERE.

I did catch a mystery-fish that I will post a pic of tomnorrow. it was 10" long and looked like a walleye - but skinnier and with a smaller tail and more rounded body. Kind of loked like a ling-cod, but with brownish leapord patterns and lots of short, sharp teeth. It hit a blonde clouser fished tight to a submerged boulder...

That's all from here... :cool:"

MarkZ
09-25-2006, 09:32 AM
After obsessively looking forward to my 9/22 Montauk trip I can now report to you that it was a dissapointment.

The weather was nothing short of perfect. Only problem was the eneormous swells and the fleet of boats swarming like gnats.

I usually fish Tuesdays or Wednesdays, but this year I needed to get out on a Friday. What a bummer. Every time my pal and I found fish on the periphery of the fleet we'd have three 27' contenders barreling down on us in seconds.

I banged a few blues and missed some albie shots - I was a mess that day - and decided to head west to scout out some solitary spots. circled the entire Island of Gardiners and was only ablte to pick up a few schoolie bass on the North side - otherwise there wasn't a fish up-top ANYWHERE.

I did catch a mystery-fish that I will post a pic of tomnorrow. it was 10" long and looked like a walleye - but skinnier and with a smaller tail and more rounded body. Kind of loked like a ling-cod, but with brownish leapord patterns and lots of short, sharp teeth. It hit a blonde clouser fished tight to a submerged boulder...

That's all from here... :cool:

That's a shame. When I was out there last weekend there were actually a few chasing the pods in sportfisherman --125-3. BTW the fish you caught was a Lizardfish.

brushfly
09-25-2006, 10:15 AM
MarkZ's right on the Lizard Fish call by the way you describe it.

Mark do you work at the Campsite...have we met somewhere? CCA, Local Pub, etc.?

MarkZ
09-25-2006, 10:41 AM
MarkZ's right on the Lizard Fish call by the way you describe it.

Mark do you work at the Campsite...have we met somewhere? CCA, Local Pub, etc.?

I don't know, but I have frequented Campsite and many of the Huntington pubs for 25 or so years :-%, so maybe...what's your name?

Wild Bill
09-25-2006, 12:15 PM
I spent the entire week at Montauk. The albie fishing was nothing like the same week last year when it was great. In the first part of the week the albies were down right scarce. We caught 2-3 per day. On Friday they became more plentiful but somewhat picky. Saturday they were mixed with blues and it was more likely you would catch a blue than an albie. About noon it started to blow and rain hard. Many of the boats including us headed in. The late afternoon got pretty nice but we were leaving Sunday so used the time to pull the boat and clean up boat an tackle.

The striper fishing was pretty good but the fish were mostly under 28".

Every trip is different. We had plenty of fish but many were caught on wooden plugs near shore or in the rips jigging. My fly tackle was not used very hard this week. Heading back Oct 8 for another try.

breezyloon
09-25-2006, 09:50 PM
A run of lizardfish instead of albies. Went out to the jetty at Breezy last Thursday afternoon to no avail ,walking back to the parking area, literally the last cast of the day my white deceiver was grabbed, small fish brought to hand , nothing I've ever seen before, same description as above. Thanks Mark Z for the identification. I remarked to my fishing buddies that it had a head like a lizard.Hoping for the albies in place of the lizards!!!! Friend and I fished with Capt. Amanda on Friday, as others above reported the albies were tough, we got some,not many, beautiful day, the Captain knows her stuff!

Lov2Fish
09-26-2006, 11:58 AM
I agree, sounds like a lizardfish to me too. We get them ocassionally from Sandy hook to Breezy point to Statue of liberty.

mikisabicus
09-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Now that the pic is up - can you all confirm identity - it looks like a lizard to me too....

brushfly
09-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Lizardfish it is.

JGH
09-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Dude, you are way in on those rocks. Looks like there were no rollers that day, huh.

MarkZ
09-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Dude, you are way in on those rocks. Looks like there were no rollers that day, huh.

Don't believe Gardiner's gets rollers that often.

JGH
09-27-2006, 03:10 PM
My bad. Looked like the south side.

mikemontauk
09-27-2006, 06:03 PM
I have been catching them in Lake Montauk, but in a much smaller version. I have caught them on sabiki's when I get snappers for fluke bait. Someone once said something about "sargeant"(sic?) fish. Don't know to much about them, but they are extremely aggressive, and really go after silversides aggressively.