PDA

View Full Version : 10/3 Montauk Update

mikesopals
10-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Surprising amount of wind today, definately not SW 5-15!! Anyway, burned a ton of gas, always sure we would find the big hungry pod or herd of albies around the next corner!!! Hit the Southside in the late am around 9.....some albies west towards caswells like they have been all week-too many boats on too few fish really puts them down fast. But clearly saw more hookups today and the albies were aggressive if you could get to them first. BTW-the southside still has more fish then anywhere else right now. Then ran to Gardners trying to repeat the action last weekend but the fish were very sparse and very selective-a number of light takes and swirls just behind the fly. Ran to Ruins, Plum, Gulls, and Fishers..............and back to Shag. Just a thought---first time I can remember not seeing anything at inner or outer shag in 3-4 days.......strange. A complete skunk until 5pm. Again a late save, with terrific action at North Bar from 5:30 till dark. Probably 4-6 major schools of Bass, typically fall action--so thick you could walk on the black backs!! Schools were moving from the point back to false bar, 50 to 100 yds off the beach. The surf guys were finally getting some innings. We each picked up 3 bass and a few blues, the bass were all clones around 25 inches. Didnt try to match the rainbait at all, used big deceivers on sinking tip lines on 10wts.
Hope to get out early tomorrow before the wind gets going for the next 3-4 days....could be the last day on the water for me until thanksgiving(if there is a herring run and good weather).
Mike G

PhilDKreal
10-04-2006, 05:58 AM
I'll be out next week, Tues & Weds. Hope the weather holds.

Thinking maybe it could blow open after this full moon. :brow

JGH
10-04-2006, 06:42 AM
Thanks for your reports. I wish there were more reports on this forum. I'm supposed to head out there later this week, though it sounds like the wind may make it a challenge.

Wild Bill
10-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks Mike for the report. I will be fishing Montauk again next week Sunday--Saturday.