PDA

View Full Version : Couple of "First Times"

G-Man
10-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Hey Guys,

A couple of "first" for me yesterday OTW.

First time catching a fish on a fly I tied ... cool.
First time catching over 50 stripers ... all sublegals on the haba ... I never even come close to catching that many fish before.
I had 2 fish pull me almost down to the backing, but they got off.

I give a lot of credit to Ray. Thanks buddy!
I had Ray out on my boat last weekend. He inspired me to tie my own flies giving me some pointers. He also gave me 6 flies he tied. Two of the small flies he gave me were just what the fish wanted yesterday. I was not getting lots of hookups until I started using his small flies and changed from sinking to clear interemediate line. The bait fish were small and swam just under the surface.

In hindsight, I think my flies have too much material. They look more like bucktails. Ray's flies had much less material and looked more like the baitfish. I'm learning and my next one's wil probably be better.

Anyway ... big thanks to Reel-Time for inspiring me to try flyfishing.
-G

ps .. My forearm is still soar. :-% :brow

GULFSTREAM
10-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Congrats on a good day out on the water! :-%

jsynnott
10-05-2006, 10:04 AM
I just tied up my first bunch of epoxy flies, it's really fun, and am heading to the Cape this weekend with them- hope to have a fraction of your luck.

wspnorth
10-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Def very satisfying to catch on a fly you tied!
I've had the same problem w/too much material when I first started. I'd suggest using 1/2 as much material as you think you'll need.

Sean Juan
10-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Congratulations!

SteepBank
10-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Thats some good stuff "G".....Get them!

notime
10-05-2006, 11:03 AM
You seem to be spending a lot time on the water lately. Get back to work.

Chuckster
10-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Congrats on catching one on your fly!

Now, your next challenge is to build a rod, and catch a fish using your handmade rod and a handmade fly... it's just as much fun.

Congrats again, sounds like a banner day.

VinnyV
10-05-2006, 11:27 AM
G-Man
I saw you on the Haba yesterday . You were hooked up 90% of the time I saw you. I had a couple of buddies on my boat and we figured we caught around 100 fish in 4 hours.

Vin

G-Man
10-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys!

That's cool Vin..thx .. you gave your buds a great day fishing.
Any calm days in Oct are a gift.

Good to have a place to share such good news.
Especially, when all your friends and family think you're plain crazy leaving the house in the dark to go fishing....again. :rolleyes:

moxie
10-05-2006, 03:05 PM
G-Man, I knew it was only a matter of time. You built the boat, now tie
flys, rod building has to be next.
MOXIE

Too Fly
10-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Wow, you do boat work too? A Jack of all trades...

What's that post up on the bow made of?

capecodkid
10-05-2006, 06:11 PM
I LUV your boat!!!!!!!!!

FlyFishKid
10-05-2006, 06:50 PM
I got my first fly-rod fish on a fly I tied too. Get lots of satisfaction out of it. Nice boat work too! Congrats!