PDA

View Full Version : CCB 10/9 Afternoon Chase

OffshoreAngler
10-10-2006, 12:36 PM
I got a small window of opportunity to get out Monday afternoon for the outgoing moon tide. I reported the day prior (Sunday) that PB was rushing out of the CCB Harbors and inlets. I thought by Monday afternoon the Bay would be going off:rolleyes: We hit the water at 3pm and friends had been out all day with up and down tuff action. About 4 miles offshore once we hit the 80ft mark, we hit breaking tuna and terns all over them--127-3- It was 15-20 minutes of run n gun fun. We called some people to get there and it died fast--124-3 The bait was so thick we wanted to just wait it out and see. It's nice hit the water at 3 and know the only time you can invest is about 3-4 hours, so no heartache applied.

We all got deeked by the huge schools of porps that looked like the motherload:eek: That headfake took most of the teams off the water but we stayed:brow Right at the YLB, at 5pm we got 1 hour of awesome action. I was hooked up 3 times and dropped all three very quickly. My buddy got to see his first Tuna at 40ft from the boat going off on PB.

I am going to have the perfect (in my opinion) PB lure built by Ocean Lures (see attached)
deleted

This lures is deadly! Casts like a dream, jumps, pops, swims but the hooks are TOO SMALL!!!! Heavy duty but too small. Both my friend (on another boat) and I have had that lure beat on by Tuna and dropped quickly. I had it in 3 different fish mouth it and it just slides out. --124-3 I know the feeling from teasing stripers for customers on a hookless popper. I know Paul at OL very well and I'm sure he'll look into a stock change on the lure. Give it a try!!!

Thanks!

The GAFFMAN
10-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Maybe if you change out the hook to a single, it may improve the loss ratio. I know this is the case when fishing bluefish, treble hooks tend to pull out during strong runs & fights.

OffshoreAngler
10-10-2006, 01:00 PM
I have a few left (they were given to me by Ocean Lures to test) and I am going to change them out. The issue is the hook is never setting or snagging..the lure just slides out. (#$119) However I know they will want to ship it out good to go. It's a small plug. Only 2-3 inched long, fat & heavy. A bigger treble or larger single is they way to go. TFD...any thoughts?

fishoutawater
10-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Just thinking of the mechanics here, a wide lure could open the mouth quite a bit as it slides out. This is different from the l-jacks, crippled herring. butterfly jigs people are using. They are flat and the mouth stays nearly closed as the jig is pulled out. The p-bunker lure is fat and if it opens the mouth on the way out, the small treble can fly right out without catching on anything solid. Seems like a larger single or a dancing stinger type hook might get a better shot at something firm on the way out.
The big game guys figured this out a long time ago, large singles hook and retain large fish. Look at squid bars, green machines,really big diving plugs, cedar plugs. All use large free singles. I'm certainly not a rigging expert, just laying out some observations. Maybe they can make a version that's more like a cedar plug as far as the hook is concerned. The hook is large and the shank is contained in the body with the point well away from the body, and the lure body is free to slide up the line once bit.

Dean

Frankie G
10-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Good report Mike! At least you briefly had a few mouth the lure! I fear my time on the water is coming to a close....Keep at it. Sounds like they are still out there.

Frank

OffshoreAngler
10-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Good stuff!!!;) I concurrrrr

Just thinking of the mechanics here, a wide lure could open the mouth quite a bit as it slides out. This is different from the l-jacks, crippled herring. butterfly jigs people are using. They are flat and the mouth stays nearly closed as the jig is pulled out. The p-bunker lure is fat and if it opens the mouth on the way out, the small treble can fly right out without catching on anything solid. Seems like a larger single or a dancing stinger type hook might get a better shot at something firm on the way out.
The big game guys figured this out a long time ago, large singles hook and retain large fish. Look at squid bars, green machines,really big diving plugs, cedar plugs. All use large free singles. I'm certainly not a rigging expert, just laying out some observations. Maybe they can make a version that's more like a cedar plug as far as the hook is concerned. The hook is large and the shank is contained in the body with the point well away from the body, and the lure body is free to slide up the line once bit.

Dean

TIMOTHY11
10-10-2006, 02:30 PM
maybe i should just take them off your hands and try them on stripers in the canal :brow

OffshoreAngler
10-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I won't let these out of my site! --123-3 Just need a few new hook tests:brow

tunafishdeath
10-10-2006, 02:56 PM
I second what Capt. Mike said. Great lure, good action, and durable. He gave me on of the prototypes way back in July. I have caught over twenty fish on it and it still looks good. Although this was when the halfbeaks were around and the fish were way more aggressive. Since the p bunker have been around I have had several fish swipe and miss. Fun to watch but......
I think a bigger treble hook will do the trick. Dont want to mess the action up with an over size hook.

OffshoreAngler
10-10-2006, 03:01 PM
TFD,

You're a Kung Fu Master!!!

Soundking
10-10-2006, 03:29 PM
40 gram hydrometal, 70 lb split, 4/0 sc15-2h. Just rolls off the tounge at this point. Casts like a dream, accurate as hell, swims gorgeous, sticks em everytime and doesn't come unbuttoned. FWIW, you can get two of these for every one angler catcher.

But then again, if I got free schwag, then I'd probably be writing how deadly whatever it is I got for free was.

TIMOTHY11
10-10-2006, 03:39 PM
now batting. that is funny stuff

OffshoreAngler
10-10-2006, 04:34 PM
But then again, if I got free schwag, then I'd probably be writing how deadly whatever it is I got for free was.

No sell outs here!!;) I gave constructive criticism of the product....Kinda "Building the perfect Beast"--123-3

Frankie G
10-10-2006, 05:46 PM
"But then again, if I got free schwag, then I'd probably be writing how deadly whatever it is I got for free was."

All due respect SK, D-bag comment. I hope you are kidding. I know you know Mike, as do I. I should probably chill, but Mike is a relentess fisherman (I know) not a promoter of stuff that does not work. I know, I puked on his boat 2wice chasing tuna. We scored big. He doesn't quit and he doesn't pump crap that doesn't work.

Frank

Soundking
10-10-2006, 06:07 PM
"But then again, if I got free schwag, then I'd probably be writing how deadly whatever it is I got for free was."

All due respect SK, D-bag comment. I hope you are kidding. I know you know Mike, as do I. I should probably chill, but Mike is a relentess fisherman (I know) not a promoter of stuff that does not work. I know, I puked on his boat 2wice chasing tuna. We scored big. He doesn't quit and he doesn't pump crap that doesn't work.

Frank

Aww dude, I was just joshin around. To be totally honest, it was a joking pitch to any tackle reps seeing it I like Mike, he and I are holmies...most of the stuff I write on here is fooling around, and this one was no different. You see the stuff I've written on here about Ruge? And I consider him to be one of my best friends. I only joke around with the people I like. I know that stuff works, I've caught fish on their spike mackerel. Seriously, no offense meant and it was written with a fond smile on my face.

sage fly guy
10-10-2006, 06:55 PM
"holmies", so what you are both fans of retired heavyweight champ Larry Holmes??

You were writing with a "fond" smile on your face??? I'll leave that alone.

chris

OffshoreAngler
10-11-2006, 07:11 AM
My Jane Fonda face.......:eek:

Frankie G
10-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Sorry SK. Sometimes I take myself a little too seriously.

soundownsam
10-11-2006, 11:58 AM
"holmies", so what you are both fans of retired heavyweight champ Larry Holmes??

chris

I think JJ actually meant retired heavy weight John Holmes.

Sam