PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT, but can help you with your tuna jones.

RedHeadKevin
11-11-2006, 03:06 PM
I stumbled across this link when I was looking for some pics of a Great White Shark. It's a link to the "Outer Bay" tank at the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California. The million-gallon tank has all sorts of fish that are relevant here, like Bluefin and yellowfin tuna, an Ocean Sunfish, and the only Great White alive in captivity. Well, they have a live webcam, and you can set it to run full-screen on your monitor. ( I have my computer set up so that it can run through my TV, which is also sweet.) Basically, I leave it on, and it's like the world's greatest fishtank. It's pretty cool to watch all these fish swimming around, just doing their thing. Anyhow, here's the link.

Monterrey Bay Aquarium webcam (http://mbayaq.org/efc/efc_outerbay/outerbay_cam.asp)

There are some other cool videos on that site, including a sweet one of them feeding the bluefins. From underwater, and the top of the tank. It's pretty eerie to watch a tuna blitz indoors. Hope to help get us all through the long winter.

PeterSorensen
11-11-2006, 05:37 PM
I was in the Monterey Bay Aquarium in May and they have the greatest salt water tank I have ever seen, complete with Striped bass and 400# bluefin. It is a great day trip if you are ever in San Francisco.

BFThunter
11-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Quick question... how do you set it to run full screen? I have a mac, so it might not work... (#$119)

RedHeadKevin
11-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Well, on a PC, you right-click on the video, and a list of menu items comes up. One is "zoom->full screen." and voila.

ON a mac, I think Ctrl+click is the same as a right-click

billfish
11-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Went to the NE Aquarium in town yesterday. Very suprised to see NO stripers, blue fish, tuna, etc... You'd think they would have some of the local crowd???

RedHeadKevin
11-13-2006, 01:38 PM
You'd think so. Every now and then, usually in the "Gloucester Tidewater" tank, or the "Isles of Shoals" tank (the one with the cod and dogfish) they have a striper. The Stripers they have, sadly, are usually very sickly-looking and pale, with clouded-over eyes. It always makes me kinda sad to see them. Each time I go to the NE Aquarium, I always feel like the quality of the specimens is going down. They seem to have kinda skimpy displays, especially in the "side" tanks (ie, not the Giant Ocean Tank.) Their displays of the local fish are especially sad, with the aforementioned sick-looking bass, a dogfish that looked like it had its nose chewed off, no school-of-fish display as of the last time I went, a one-eyed grouper, and fish that generally look "blah." If you ask me, the NE Aquarium seriously needs an upgrade to showcase a "Jefferies Ledge," "Outer Banks," or "Gulf of Maine" exhibit. A new giant tank, (Like the one that Monterrey Bay has) would be ideal. Weren't they gonna do that at some point? OH well, My $0.02.

Biggs
11-13-2006, 04:40 PM
About 10-15 years ago the aquarium had a plan to really expand - most of the expansion was to build New England Exhibits, including a rocky coastline with seals, stripers, etc., marshlands, and a huge gulf stream tank (over 1 million gallons) with tuna, sharks, mola mola, etc. They were also planning on updating all of their current filtration and electric systems (which were built in the 70's). But they couldn't get the financing for any of it. Then it fell on tough financial times and kept declining until it lost its accreditation in 2003.

But since then it seems they have made a strong turnaround as they recently gained their accreditation back - it helps that the Aquarium T stop is again open after being shut down due to the Big Dig for many years. I would imagine the aquarium will get many more visitors once the Greenway is finished as well, which hopefully will help them raise additional funds and maybe one day execute the planned expansion. Sounds like it would have been a great exhibit.

JR13
11-14-2006, 09:26 AM
nice new one in in Morehead city for anyone heading down that way for albie season...makes for a decent day if the fishing gets blown off

anut
11-14-2006, 06:14 PM
I was at that aquarium with the family 10/25. Outstanding. On one end they have a massive tank where they pump millions of gallons of fresh sea water in to replicate a living kelp forest (complete ecosystem from the microbes, krill on up) and the other end a massive tank with the GW, tunoids, Mola, others. It is facinating to watch a 400# tuna turn away from a 200# Juvy GW - good instincts! We missed the tuna feeding, which we heard was unbelievable so thanks for the link, now I can catch it.

Lots of other cool stuff inbetween the tanks, awesome jelly fish displays, Sea Otter tank (they put on a neat show). Extensive kids area. I don't know who was more facinated, my 5&7 yr olds, or me.

Highly recommend it if you are in the area, worth the drive if kinda close. We made a day of it and hit 17 mile drive, carmel to finish it off.

Fishingmaniac
11-18-2006, 08:30 PM
I have not been there but I've heard this one in Georga is excellant and it says it's the worls largest with 8 million gallons:

http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/