PDA

View Full Version : Guide Recommend for Ft Myers, FL??

sped
11-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Could anyone recommend a shallow water fly fishing guide in the Ft Myers, FL area? I'd love it if someone could steer me in a certain direction rather than me just randomly choosing one off the web........Thanks already.....Sped

soundownsam
11-18-2006, 07:08 PM
What species are you thinking of? I have friends in the area I can ask.

Sam

sagamoron
11-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Sped,

I just got back from the Area and Fished with Capt Rob Modys. He was is a pretty solid guy. He has a flats Boat and a larger Center console. Weather and type of fishing dictate which boat he will take. I had a great time in Miserable weather. google "soulmate charters" or PM me if you have any questions.

jeffsod
11-18-2006, 10:21 PM
I fish in that area at least once a season but have never used a guide.

The owner of the bears den mentioned Capt. Joe LeClair who guides out of MA in the summer just got a new boat and is in SW Florida now. You can call Scott at the bears den for his contact info.

For shore based fishing fly or spin I would recommend Big Carlos Pass on the Lovers Key (south) side. You drive over big Carlos pass coming from Ft. Myers beach and just over the bridge on the right is a dirt parking lot. Bring $1.00 and drop it in an envelope at the lock box at gate (self service) and carry the receipt. Fishing is good all along the shore on out to the beach front. I have the best luck early in the morning or late in the day. For fly fishing the seatrout like Olive Rhody flat wings. But the standard clouser should work well too.

loon
11-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Does it have to be Ft. Myers? If you're willing to drive 1 hr 15 minutes south, you can fish in a whole differant world that WILL blow your mind. Drive to Everglades City and fish the 10,000 Islands & south with Capt Ned Small. His website is www.sightfish.com. Tell him Todd recommended.

LastCastMike
11-18-2006, 10:55 PM
One of the best guides I've ever fished with. Been out with Steve several times. You can say Mike from New Hampshire recommended. For some details, try this website: http://www.captstevebailey.com/index.htm

cporpus
11-19-2006, 08:05 AM
My wife and I fish often out of Fort Myers---my recommendations
would be Capt Rey Rodriques for flats and fy fishing and Rick Featherstone/ Magic Hook Charters off shore and larger fish

Can't miss with either

Both have long time local knowledge and do it for a living and fun to be with

Good Luckhttp://reel-time.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
Smile

oldmill
11-19-2006, 09:19 AM
I second Steve Bailey. Haven't been down that way for several years but I
fished with him a couple times. He just plain old knows his stuff. I was staying
on Sanibel and met him just back over the bridge towards Ft. Myers.

JimC
11-19-2006, 10:00 AM
I'll kick in for Joe LeClair. Fished with him last February and had a blast.He's based a bit north of Ft meyers but depending on conditons, will travel to the fish. Give him a ring and if he's set up shop for the winter, he's worth a call.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/jimcbasin/Sanibel036.jpg

riptide
11-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Capt Joe LeClair!--127-3-

cporpus
11-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Forgot to suggest Southwest Florida Best Forum website
All the info and pictures you will ever need

Good Luck

RMEZZY
11-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Capt. Joe Laclair

He'll come pick you up and will launch where the fishing is best. Good guy, and knows the bay.

JakeFF
11-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Definately JOE!!!