PDA

View Full Version : Post ice reports here...

bdowning
01-17-2007, 04:59 PM
for the benefit of us ice fishing nuts looking to get out on it (and hopefully not through it!) .

Here's mine for Hopkinton: Skim ice starting to form uniformly on the shallower lakes. I haven't checked the deeper ones yet. There is no safe ice here yet, but the forecast bodes well for some safe ice by the weekend of Jan 27-28. (I think this coming weekend will still be iffy around here).

-bd

Bob Parsons
01-17-2007, 05:07 PM
I was so confident that we still would not ice soon, I left my ice fishing gear down the cape. It would not surprise that someone will find a small pond marginally safe by sunday. Maybe have to go a bit west to find it though.

BobG
01-17-2007, 05:45 PM
The ice maker in my freezer continues to make copious amounts of crystal clear ice. That ice makes my Stolly and tonic nice and yummy and ice cold. :-%
That's about as close as I expect to get to ice this winter. (#$119)

ruge13
01-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Its supposed to warm up again --124-3 --124-3 --124-3 --124-3

BobG
01-18-2007, 09:54 AM
It's supposed to warm up again. --126-3- --126-3- --126-3- --126-3-

Trout77
01-18-2007, 10:11 AM
I hereby setfourth my intention to not partake in any winter activities. I have tied two tupperware containers worth of flies for the spring, and I have a countdown until the stream temps reach the magical 50 deg mark...

Until then, I will do nothing but complain about the cold.... --124-3 --125-3

teflon_jones
01-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Ice? Ice?!??! Ha ha ha ha ha ha

This is a joke right? :)

bdowning
01-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Not a by whole lot, at least in Metro West and west/north of here. Plus it will go down to the teens most nights, which will make a bunch of ice cubes :brow if the wind stays down. But it ain't gonna stay down Fri night or Sat (gusts to 45 MPH forecasted).

-bd

Its supposed to warm up again --124-3 --124-3 --124-3 --124-3

ruge13
01-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Man I hope you are right!!!!!

loon
01-18-2007, 03:28 PM
The "Inland Sea" (North of the sandbar) froze over yesterday but blew open last night.

bdowning
01-19-2007, 05:08 PM
from another board...

"Checked both A1 and chauncy today each had about an 1.5 inches near shore i tried making it out a bit further to see if the ice was any thicker further out and on both lakes the ice started cracking...so im thinking probably not this week but hopfully next week....I also checked East Waushaccum Pond in Sterling, MA and it was about 3-3.5 near shore and out further about 2.5inches...Ill also be checking a few ponds in princeton later this afternoon ill post reports on Stuart Pond and Paridise Pond tonight"

-bd

silverado mike
01-22-2007, 12:41 PM
I saw some guys pond skating on a good sized golf course pond in Holliston yesterday. gotta love another week of these cold cold nights...

from another board...

"Checked both A1 and chauncy today each had about an 1.5 inches near shore i tried making it out a bit further to see if the ice was any thicker further out and on both lakes the ice started cracking...so im thinking probably not this week but hopfully next week....I also checked East Waushaccum Pond in Sterling, MA and it was about 3-3.5 near shore and out further about 2.5inches...Ill also be checking a few ponds in princeton later this afternoon ill post reports on Stuart Pond and Paridise Pond tonight"

-bd

Eddy Merckx
01-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Cruised by A1 at lunch today, there was a handful of guys on the ice, all within 100 yards of the ramp.

bdowning
01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Thurs and Fri are supposed to be bitterly cold in that area, so I expect a pretty good amount of safe ice on A-1 by then.

If I get a chance, I'll check it out again on Thurs or Fri.

-bd

Cruised by A1 at lunch today, there was a handful of guys on the ice, all within 100 yards of the ramp.

sped
01-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Did you ever get over to Paradise Pond in Princeton?? Wonder how that is......Sped

uptonfloyd
01-23-2007, 10:10 PM
I'd like to formally apologize to everyone out there who ice fishes.

After an attempt at becoming the last ice angler without a power auger, my wife made a gesture of true love and gave me an auger last Christmas. And because my only time out last year was with a couple of guys with augers at the Meredith Rotary, my auger has never been out of the box.

Never rains when I carry an umbrella either...

bdowning
01-24-2007, 10:09 AM
That's a hike for me sped, but if you get over there feel free to report on ice thickness. In my neck of the woods (Hopkinton/Westboro), things are firming up nicely. After the arctic blast of the next two days, places like A-1 should be solid for a while. The southern end of Hopkinton reservoir has at least several inches of hard ice and a bunch of guys are fshing it already. The northern half is still skim from the boat house to the dam, but I think it will lock pretty good by the weekend.

***To uptonfloyd, actually you are the next to last. I don't use no stinkin' power auger! Usually a hand auger or chisel is just as good in eastern Mass waters as long as the blades are sharp. North and west where you can get into a foot or more of hard stuff, that's another matter.
-bd

Did you ever get over to Paradise Pond in Princeton?? Wonder how that is......Sped

BobG
01-24-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm surprised none of you guys mentioned Comet Pond in Hubbardston. :confused: An awful lot of trout got dumped in there this past fall (plus some brood stock salmon), and from my observations, the pond went virtually unfished. ;)

On a related note, and as long as we're talking about ice. I went quahogging this morning in the Monument Beach area, and the water all around me was just beginning to get that cloudy, hazy, slushy look salt water gets just before it freezes. I'll bet Phinney's Harbor will be frozen tomorrow.

Toby
01-24-2007, 12:39 PM
I'll check Comet on the way home and post again.

uptonfloyd
01-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Bill,

Though I live in Upton, my family has a place on Lake Winnisquam in NH, where in "regular" years they drive trucks on the ice. Course, that's not frozen yet either, so maybe I'll see you on Hopkinton Reservoir next week.

Toby
01-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Stopped by this afternoon. 4 groups of guys out there. I asked one guy "how thick" he said 4". Must have been 30 tilts set up between them all. Whole pond is frozen. Good luck.

ssully
01-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey BIll,

I walked out on a large pond in my neck of the woods after work today the fresh holes had an edge showing 4-5" of solid black ice.

Check this site (see MA forum)if you haven't already. www.iceshanty.com

Some beauties coming out!

silverado mike
01-25-2007, 09:19 AM
I saw three guys out in the cove next to the Army labs this morning. must be cold for any part of cotituate (sp?) to be safe.

bdowning
01-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Yep I check that site sometimes. One guy claims he caught 2 pike over 15 lbs and one over 42" long and over 23 lbs (with a photo posted) in the past few days. Needless to say, he won't tell where, would probably cause a stampede :eek: .

Whitehall Lake in Hopkinton has 4-5 inches solid, so it should be at least 6 inches + by weekend.

-bd

Hey BIll,

I walked out on a large pond in my neck of the woods after work today the fresh holes had an edge showing 4-5" of solid black ice.

Check this site (see MA forum)if you haven't already. www.iceshanty.com (http://www.iceshanty.com/)

Some beauties coming out!

Buzz
01-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Caught 6 bass and 5 picks in 3 hrs yesterday on a little pond in Brockton. 3-6 inches

Eddy Merckx
01-26-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm surprised none of you guys mentioned Comet Pond in Hubbardston.

Ayuh. Here's a nice broodstock that came out of Comet before the ice set up. 10.5 lbs.
(That's not me in the pic, it's a Holden guy who made the local paper with his catch.)

The GAFFMAN
01-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Flint Pond Tyngsboro, MA 4-5 inches thick before this bitter cold spell. Species Largemouth, Yellow Perch, Pikerel

notime
01-26-2007, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=uptonfloyd]I'd like to formally apologize to everyone out there who ice fishes.

After an attempt at becoming the last ice angler without a power auger, my wife made a gesture of true love and gave me an auger last Christmas. And because my only time out last year was with a couple of guys with augers at the Meredith Rotary, my auger has never been out of the box.

I too have a manual auger. Looks like it may get a work out this weekend :brow . My daughter has been looking forward to it as we didn't get out once last year. Can't say I blame her, hot chocolate, skating, dad pulling her on a sled, watching me drill the holes, what's not to like?

silverado mike
01-26-2007, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=uptonfloyd]I'd like to formally apologize to everyone out there who ice fishes.

I too have a manual auger. Looks like it may get a work out this weekend :brow . My daughter has been looking forward to it as we didn't get out once last year. Can't say I blame her, hot chocolate, skating, dad pulling her on a sled, watching me drill the holes, what's not to like?

Garth,

you going to try the old tried and true winthrop?

detra-tone
01-26-2007, 10:56 PM
My son and I skated on Robinson pond in Oxford on the 21st. Went by Wallum lake today, and it is just starting to close up, a lot of open water still.

Slappy
01-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Checked out spy pond last night on my run home--it looked locked up all the way across, but it was dark.

notime
01-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Garth,

you going to try the old tried and true winthrop?

Yes. Plan is to hit the ice Sunday AM for a couple of hours. I took the kayak out last summer once or twice for some bass and had pretty good luck. No big fish, but decent quantity. I've found the ice fishing so-so and have seen more action from myself & others at A-1. But with the kids its very conveniant and I want to check out some places I found with the kayak. Have you been out there yet? Quite a few people out today when I stopped by for a look.

Slappy
01-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Spy Pond by daylight--fishable, a couple open spots on both sides.

I wouldn't walk across the pond, coves and edges look good.

silverado mike
01-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Yes. Plan is to hit the ice Sunday AM for a couple of hours. I took the kayak out last summer once or twice for some bass and had pretty good luck. No big fish, but decent quantity. I've found the ice fishing so-so and have seen more action from myself & others at A-1. But with the kids its very conveniant and I want to check out some places I found with the kayak. Have you been out there yet? Quite a few people out today when I stopped by for a look.

I havent been yet but I too stopped to tke a peek and was amazed to see over 40 guys out there.

notime
01-28-2007, 07:50 PM
It was crowed this morning/afternoon too. As crowded as I've seen it. They have a tourneyment in a few weeks so I don't know if it was just the weather or people practicing before the tourneyment. We fished for a couple of hours this late morning/early afternoon and got a bass and pickeral.

The GAFFMAN
01-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Was anyone from this forum fishing Flint Pond, Tyngsboro this past weekend, seen a few guys out there! wondering how they ended up doing!

joebe
01-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Winthrop had 4 to 5", steady morning of flags, pickerel, yellow prch, and 1 hornpout, no bass. Great weather, Tons of people out there fishing. Beats the hell out of watching TV

rhodyflyguy
01-29-2007, 08:00 PM
6" of ice yeaterday at Moodus resevoir in Moodus, Ct. 10 or 11 flags total, got 5 pickerel and 2 perch. Drove to Gardner Lake afterwards, saw a lot of guys fishing there and the volunteer fire department doing drills for if anyone ever went through the ice.

BGIII
02-06-2007, 08:30 AM
I hit lake Memphremagog (Vt/Canadian border) the past two weekends. On 1/27, ice was 9". Caught a bucket of perch, some smelt, one small salmon and one salmon on a jig stick that went 24".
This past weekend, caught a bucket of perch, some smelt and one small salmon. Ice was 14" and there were trucks on the lake. Not me though. I want at least 2' of good ice before i drive my truck out there.
Both days the lake was completly covered.