PDA

View Full Version : Leaders

johnyeye
02-11-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm knew at this so heres my question. If I am tying up leaders does it matter what mono I use, does it have to be a fly fishing specific mono for leaders or can I use any mono leader material.

brushfly
02-11-2007, 06:00 PM
What I would suggest is to go with the same brand of regular mono right down the line or end it with a shot of flourocarbon tippet at your preferred strength. Then again, you can make the whole leader out of flourocarbon but for most of our area it's not necessary but I would go with it as a tippet at the minimum. I like 40-30-20-15, 10 or 8lb. flouro. Usually 9' works, could go shorter if so desired.

mgustav
02-12-2007, 08:00 AM
If you are new, then buy a striper leader by rio or SA. Then cut off the last 2 feet off. Make a loop in the end (and make a loop at the butt too) and loop on your tippet which can be made of any soft mono like Ande, Big Game or I prefer World Wide Sportsman Camo line in as heavy a tippet I can get away with.

LIFlyguy
02-12-2007, 09:35 AM
If your not comfortable tying several knots for a leader, I second the SA or any other tapered leader. Trim it to your prefered length and loop the ends. Some of these come with a loop on one end already. I like Brushflys way but you need several spools of mono and a spool of flouro around. Sometimes the tapered leaders can save time and space.