PDA

View Full Version : preferred knot: fly line to backing?

JSeamans
02-12-2007, 12:09 PM
It's been soooo long but I got some line at Marlboro and need to fill two spools in time for FLA. I seem to remember using an Albright but some books say nail knot.

What do you prefer for fly line to backing?

Strat
02-12-2007, 12:35 PM
The albright is good for light duty stuff

I use a bimini for heavy-duty stuff (though I have never had an albright fail)

I wouldn't use a nail knot for a saltwater backing knot

BobG
02-12-2007, 12:42 PM
An albright has always worked well for me.

RogerStg
02-12-2007, 01:01 PM
I normally tie a bimini in the backing and make a loop in the fly line. The loop is either whipped, or of braided mono or dacron. It allows me to swap lines easily.

Onshore
02-12-2007, 02:17 PM
I like the Albright too.

JohnnyR
02-12-2007, 02:52 PM
A simple square knot works great.

JSeamans
02-12-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm pretty sure I used Albright in the past with a nail knot at the line end to tie on some 40# with a perfection loop to connect to my leader. And Pliobond on the knots at either end of the fly line.

Chuckster
02-12-2007, 05:01 PM
You didn't mention the backing material... standard dacron, gel spun, braid???

I like the Albright as well for dacron, but for flyline to gel spun/braid, I like the Slim Beauty.

ppatricelli
02-12-2007, 08:13 PM
They all work. All they have to do is not fail, and that is only an issue with the really big stuff, poons, sharks, jacks, tuna, etc. that get you way out into the backing.

But I have found it very advantageous, as mentioned above, to have a big (long) loop in the backing and loop-to-loop to something on the end of the flyline. The one can swap in and out lines without having to re-tie anything. Bimini works fine if you want to show off. But really, a double surgeons, perfection, or a nail-loop work fine and are faster. Stresses at the back end of the flyline are just not what they are on the front end.

My take on it anyway.

loon
02-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Another vote for the loop to loop. (assuming you're really talking back, not running line) One thing I have evolved to doing is making the loops on both backing and fly line pretty big. Grand armchair plans don't always work, so I want to be able to put a reel through the loop of the fly line....or, a coiled line or head through the loop in the backing.

I also favor a doubled loop in the backing. Here's a quick & strong one: double over the end of your backing; tie a bowline with the doubled line; you now have two equal loops, down-loop of the bowline tie a double overhand (i.e. surgeons) knot; slide the overhand knot against the bowline line but before tightening it, lead the lower tag of the bowline through the hole of the overhand knot; after tightening the overhand, do simple cinch knot around both loops with the tag and a simple cinch around the main backing with the upper bowline tag. (this took about twice as long for me to type as to tie)

bonefishdick
02-15-2007, 05:27 PM
I use my own version of a nail knot that is about an inch long and it goes through the guides like it's not there. I have never had it fail on me. If it will stand up to a couple of 700/800 pound seals stealing my fish to the point it will straighten out a 1/0 hook rather than get spooled, I guess I will stay with it.

smcisaac
02-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Another vote here for a bimini twist in the backing looped to a braided loop on the fly line. You can switch fly lines on the reel with less effort that way.