PDA

View Full Version : Fly Boxes

johnyeye
03-22-2007, 06:21 PM
I have been looking around for a box for my saltwater flies and cannot decide on one. Some just do not look big enough inside for the bunker flies and decievers. If any of you would like to offer your opinion on what you like it may help.I am just getting started with saltwater fly fishing and tying my own flies so your info will help. Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for any info you can give me.

striperblues
03-22-2007, 06:38 PM
I have two of these cases with double sided slitted foam and think they are excellent. Go to Bear's Den website and click on fly storage to check all of them out. I am sure Scott can ship them to you.

MichaelDS
03-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Cliff's Bugger Barn.

Mike

BFThunter
03-22-2007, 09:57 PM
I have a foam box I picked up at ll beans, I think its a morell. Fairly large, about 10", duel magnets holding it shut. No problem with the big bunker flies, decievers or clousers.

Filled it up quick with all the ties over the winter and probably going to pick up another one for some other vairous flies.

bonefishdick
03-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Check out the Bears Den web site for the Fin Sport fly wallets, they are the best thing since sliced bread. They have zip lock type bags in the them, they hold a ton of flies, come in different sizes/colors and keep your flies dry from the surf or rain. There is nothing worse than tying a bunch of flies and have them ruined by the saltwater before you even fish with them.

Also they are very light and fit into a rain coat pocket vest or shoulder/fanny pack type bag very well.

It's the best. --126-3-

fleshfly
03-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Two Start how are you fishing? Foot, kayak, boat, or chunks? I think a Fly Box will vary based on the way you fish...There are some HUGE boxes available but they aren't too practical if you are not in a boat and and hard to fill if you aren't bored all winter tying flies.....one easy way if you are shore bound you can buy, in LARGE quanities the plastic baggies for flies to keep your flies. simillar to what you see in the shops. They come in many sizes including lots of big sizes, as I have scene them for crazy GODZILLA flies used for bill fish.

catspaw
03-23-2007, 06:40 AM
I use the large Plano waterproff clear plastic box, I put all my flies is 4 mil poly bags, 2"x4" and 2"x10". You can put enough flies in one to last all season. Flies can be organized by color, size, etc. They also stay neat and protected; best system I've tried so far and I've tried many. You can get the poly sleeves on ebay.

dlangan
03-23-2007, 06:42 AM
After investing too much in a stack of boxes I share the opinion of bonefishdick. Those finsport wallets hold gobs of flies, keep 'em safe, and are a breeze to transport. Now I have 3 sizes of the finsport and I have a box on hand to dry wet flies. On yak or foot, this way is working well for me. However, note the wallets are not the way to go for big flatwing pattterns...

peter mac
03-23-2007, 07:28 AM
gotta support the finsport wallets also, have all 3 sizes, great for boat, and wading you can just slide the wallet into the top of your waders and you are good to go...they let you carry dozens of flies with no effort at all.
Peter Mac

CaptSuperfly
03-23-2007, 08:17 AM
I bought this boat box from Orvis
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=73X0&dir_id=758&group_id=792&cat_id=5135&subcat_id=6030

I use it just for big flies. It has these nubs that make it easy to lay the flies on their sides, which i think is the best way to stores big flies. it also makes sure they stay put so they don't tangle with each other. I have flies up to 12" in there, and all in all can fit at least 50 flies between 6 and 12".

Here's a pic of how I arrange them.

brushfly
03-23-2007, 12:45 PM
On my boat and while wading there tucked into old VCR boxes which I lined with foam sheeting. The sheet foam is 1/8" the same material you would use for Crease flies only thicker. Glued in with epoxy or gorilla glue. Cheap.

On the topside I label them: topwater, dec/ clousers, misc, night. Three boxes in my wading bag holds over 100 flies. Downside is some topwater foam stuff gets too thick, boilermakers, etc. For larger bunker flies that are too big for the box, I store them in zip bags with cardboard liner to prevent bending.

Some Orvis boxes for small stuff but the magnets have dropped out on some of them.

johnyeye
03-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all the great info I'm going to check out the finsport wallets I'll be fishing from boat and beach and wading the flats around Island beach. The finsport sounds like the right one for me. Thanks again to everyone

msiler
03-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Finsport wallets!

wendell
03-30-2007, 01:29 PM
VCR boxes with cork glued into the. Made 10 for about $20. Hard shell to keep you're flies looking fly. Clear so you can see in them.

mcurtiss
03-30-2007, 04:51 PM
i did the plano waterproof box, two sheets of thick craft foam from ac moore, and some hot glue for about $10 in total. i'll never buy an extra large fly box again

Gadabout Guinea
05-02-2007, 12:25 PM
I have a couple of these. they fit the biggest flies and the double nubbies are easy for getting the flies in and out.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20445-cat20550&id=0001428313506a&navCount=4&podId=0001428&parentId=cat20550&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20550&hasJS=true

Do you guys worry about putting your flies in the wallet zip bags wet?

Jim Miller
05-08-2007, 08:04 PM
I echo what's been said. I like and have used the finsport or similiar wallets.

Lately I've been using the Bears Den case (large) with the slotted foam. Makes things orderly for smaller flys!

I also made my own case for big flys (bunker, herring & squid) up to a foot long. "rubbermaid" container (11"x14"x4") w/ ripple foam glued to bottom & top.