PDA

View Full Version : Tred Barta??

sped
03-25-2007, 08:23 PM
What up with this guy??......Been TiVo-ing his show lately....that dude is nutty and intense....."Do it the hard way, the Barta way!"....Sped

riptide
03-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi show is a little odd at times, but his book is my offshore bible.

featherbaiter
03-25-2007, 08:41 PM
He is a little bit of a psycho but I am entertained by his show. No lame product placement and some good learning opportunities. Last year he went on an anti fly fishing rant that kind of chapped me a little.

twofinbluna
03-26-2007, 02:36 AM
I've never read his book but if its anything like his show I wouldnt want to. Its entertaining at times but the guy comes off as one of the most arrogant people ever. For all I know he knows a lot about fishing, but I have no doubt that he knows a lot less than he thinks he does.

Will I watch the show if I am bored and nothing else is on...for sure. But I almost always end up getting so annoyed I dont get very far into it before turning it off.

There was one show I saw him steam about 30 through thick fog and pretended as if since he is "such a hard goer" that it was ok...What a joke. Anyone who steams 30 when they cant see more than a few feet is an idiot. No excuse. No radar is good enough for that crap. Thats the kind of stuff he does that makes me doubt his abilities.

Really just have no use for that guy myself.

capecodkid
03-26-2007, 06:55 AM
I like some of his episodes but most are terrible. Terry whats the name of his book?

ShaneY
03-26-2007, 06:59 AM
While the guy is pretty much a jack a$$ he did make some very good safety points at the beginning of that episode but he is kinda entertaining.

brushfly
03-26-2007, 09:18 AM
I've only seen a few...the wacky one I remember was Tred trying to hit a Canada Goose in flight, with a bow & arrow... and he came dam close!

Corny as it might seem, the guys the real deal. He's a well known offshore guy here in Long Island. A real advocate for C&R billfishing tournaments and one who bucked his system when it came to tournament $$$ and fame. Maybe he found it on the box screen?

Surprised to hear about him blowing 30 through fog as I saw another show dedicated to on the water readiness in regard to safety equipment, life rafts and such. With on the water demo's and all. A bit of an oximoron I guess.

Let's face it, producing fishing shows is not easy and open to much ridicule:
I loved Walker's Cay Chronicles but have heard others think its a snooze- fest. I liked Guide House because I fished Montauk for years, but heard from many they felt the show aired a sense of arrogance. Which at times it did, but to each his own. Armchair quarterbacking I guess.

riptide
03-26-2007, 09:33 AM
I like some of his episodes but most are terrible. Terry whats the name of his book?

Its the same name as the show, Best and Worst of TB.

I read it before the show ever came out, it was given to me. There are some OUTSTANDING articles in the book. It's basicly a compilation of his mag articles. The stuff on Tuna trolling and lite tackle are VERY informative and in depth. I find the show to be a bit over the top. The book was much better IMHO.

backman
03-26-2007, 10:23 AM
If you do not feel comfortable navigating at speed on fog you won't be fishing offshore along the southern NE/NY coast line in July/July. I don't like it, but I regularly navigate anywhere from 5 to 50 miles offshore in fog during those months as part of a typical 70 or 80 mile trip.. It makes for a hugely stressful day for the captain.

Obvioulsy you don't blast an inlet, passage or congested area at 27 knots, but once you get out of the inshore areas, running at speed in fog is not a whole lot different than running at night. Your probably not going to see the semi submerged debris 100 yards in front of you either, but you will pick up other boats at 2 miles, lobster pots at 1/2 mile.

W/ one crew assigned to eyeball watch and another helping on radar, and a willingness to apply the "when in doubt back down to 6 knots" approach its no fun, but a managable risk.

fmw
03-26-2007, 11:17 AM
I seem to like the fishing shows that are more geared to entertaining than some of these overly serious people who are doing product placements and trying to tell me what to do. So, I think its sometimes a hoot.

Too much hunting though. They must have run the demographics and figured he had a bigger hunting audience.

NHAngler
03-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Imagine fishing with him or someone like that for a day? I would punch him in the nose before we even got a line wet.

Sorry, I consider myself a bit on the serious side and maybe a little picky to fish with but try my best to make sure everyone in the boat is having a good time.

Think about it though, he markets off of that attitude he exhibits in his shows. You think he is like that in real life?

Brian

twofinbluna
03-27-2007, 01:01 AM
If you do not feel comfortable navigating at speed on fog you won't be fishing offshore along the southern NE/NY coast line in July/July. I don't like it, but I regularly navigate anywhere from 5 to 50 miles offshore in fog during those months as part of a typical 70 or 80 mile trip.. It makes for a hugely stressful day for the captain.

Obvioulsy you don't blast an inlet, passage or congested area at 27 knots, but once you get out of the inshore areas, running at speed in fog is not a whole lot different than running at night. Your probably not going to see the semi submerged debris 100 yards in front of you either, but you will pick up other boats at 2 miles, lobster pots at 1/2 mile.

W/ one crew assigned to eyeball watch and another helping on radar, and a willingness to apply the "when in doubt back down to 6 knots" approach its no fun, but a managable risk.

Ok thats ridiculous. I fish out of Maine, this is where they make fog. The only guys who blast through the fog at 30 are the people who are weekend warriors who havent learned the ropes or just complete idiots. Its not about being comfortable in the fog, its about being smart. We have one of the most powerful radars you can buy for a fishing boat and it still misses things from time to time. And we always fish atleast 30 miles offshore, unless we go to the Middle Bank for a day trip (which is still a 60 mile steam). But how far offshore you go has nothing to do with anything.

You can steam that fast in no vis if you want, and you can trust your radar, but wait until the day when you miss a small boat on the radar and ram into it.

And you try going from 30 into reverse in time to miss a boat that appears in thick fog out of nowhere and you will find out the hard way that you will not even come close to stopping in time. And if you somehow miss the other boat out of pure chance, you will be lucky to have an engine that works.

You pay attention to the guys who really know what they are doing and you see if they ever steam in the fog like that. It has nothing to with balls or anything like that, it has to do with being repsonsible. Steaming through the fog that fast is irresponsible and I just hope you dont fish anywhere close where I do, since I dont want to be the boat that shows you that trusting you radar like that is not a smart thing to do.

Sorry to get off topic but it just makes me worried to hear people say that they would go that fast through thick fog. We all can read the radar as well as anyone since we have fog all the time and I can assure you that you are putting wayyyyyyy too much faith in that thing. I have found out many a time that those things will miss targets, even boats.

Im not saying you have to slow down to an idle, but anything over 14-15 when you are in real fog (as in you cannot even see the pulpit on the end of the boat) than you are asking for it. 14-15 is probably faster than you would want to go, actually. Just wait and see how quickly a boat appears when you are going that fst. If its never happened to you, you are lucky, plain and simple.When you get close to shore, especially in a place like Maine where you will hit a rock not a sandbar, you should go much slower than that.

Tell you one thing, I hope I am never down off south coast (ny i assume?) in the fog if thats how everyone operates.

"Obvioulsy you don't blast an inlet, passage or congested area at 27 knots, but once you get out of the inshore areas, running at speed in fog is not a whole lot different than running at night."

In terms of debris and buoys, yes. But not in terms of other boats. Unless people are running in complete stealth mode with no lights, which is illegal, they would be seen well before they got too close. The main issue is with other boats, and so while I agree that while buoys and debris are hard to see at night, boats arent. Not like in the fog.

twofinbluna
03-27-2007, 01:36 AM
I've only seen a few...the wacky one I remember was Tred trying to hit a Canada Goose in flight, with a bow & arrow... and he came dam close!

Corny as it might seem, the guys the real deal. He's a well known offshore guy here in Long Island. A real advocate for C&R billfishing tournaments and one who bucked his system when it came to tournament $$$ and fame. Maybe he found it on the box screen?

Surprised to hear about him blowing 30 through fog as I saw another show dedicated to on the water readiness in regard to safety equipment, life rafts and such. With on the water demo's and all. A bit of an oximoron I guess.

Let's face it, producing fishing shows is not easy and open to much ridicule:
I loved Walker's Cay Chronicles but have heard others think its a snooze- fest. I liked Guide House because I fished Montauk for years, but heard from many they felt the show aired a sense of arrogance. Which at times it did, but to each his own. Armchair quarterbacking I guess.

There is no doubt that making a show, especially a fishing show, would be difficult. I would never want to have to deal with that nonsense. We have taken film crews a bunch of times for specials (not for a series of shows) and it was bad enough. Its just a pain having to deal with a camera and the demand they have to see something, right now. Thats not how fishing works of course and so I dont have any doubt that making a show is tough.

I also only know about Tred from the show and from a few random articles I have seen him write in mags, and so I dont know from personal experience what the guy is like. While I clearly dont approve of his fog-steaming tactics, I dont know him and so I could be wrong in my assessment.

He is really arrogant on the show, and I think that is pretty obvious, but again, shows can make anyone look like a total a$$. I do find it hard to believe that he is as good as he says he is. But again, thats just my take from the show.

twofinbluna
03-27-2007, 01:40 AM
One last thing- on another site a guy who worked for the Tred show started a thread like this that went on for pages and pages as people either bashed him or stuck up for him. It was basically one big tred advertising thread. Seems like this is going in that direction too. (I am doing wonders for his show in this thread, probably)

backman
03-27-2007, 05:56 AM
but when you clear the islands or are out in the middle of the Nantucket Sound channel at 4 AM, small boats are not part of the equation. Sure; if its pea soup on the way home at 4 PM on a Saturday, your reduced to slower speeds.

I have definitely had surprises over the years with radar and every surprise, myself or others at the wheel has been operator error, not radar error. Radar on 4 mile mode will absolutely not discriminate an 18' fiberglass skiff crossing you at 3/4 mile. Likewise a poorly tuned radar in sea clutter or rain doesn't see anything. Then the responsible operator slows down. Radar used correctedly; scanning up and down the ranges on a regular an conistent basis; adjusted for conditions, eye's on the tube 3600 seconds/hr will identify targets. A static radar display set at 1.5 miles, checked every minute absolutely will miss things.

On fine points, sure 30 is too fast, 14-15 is a much better speed if your boat can run at 14-15, but most sportsfishers don't plane till 17 or 18. I try and run 20-21 knots in the soup till I'm well offshore, then adjust to a more economical 24 knots. Any questions, any doubts and its 7 knots till I get the complete picture again, or till the target has been identified and is out of the picture. We can argue distance and time to come off plane, but my heavy planing boat will fall from 24 to a controllable 8 knots in 30 yards if the throttle is pulled back

Call it how you like, but if you park yourself at the tip of Monomoy July 15th your going to see lots and lots of boats; including commercial fisherman, steaming by at cruise on their way to the tuna grounds. There's little boats in there; bobbing on a couple of rips.

That's an 8 knot 2 mile stretch for me; but once I'm past the choke point and out of small boat territory its up to 20-21; then 5 miles later when I'm out of Pollack Rip and into open ocean its up to 24 knots and a constant eye on the radar. FWIW -I learned this approach to that channel from one of those commercial fisherman 10 years ago back when there were tuna around.

Capt.ChrisLembo
03-27-2007, 04:49 PM
A little intense...

If you are going down , you better go down in flames!

twofinbluna
03-27-2007, 06:45 PM
I was in a pi$$y mood last night backman, sorry to have singled you out :)

backman
03-27-2007, 07:05 PM
no insult taken. We can agree to agree on what we agree on and agree to disagree on what we disagree on :)

twofinbluna
03-27-2007, 07:37 PM
agreed....

Mike M.
03-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Other than the news, I watch tv for entertainment. Tred barta entertains me and keeps me going back to see what he will do next. My favorite episode is when he goes sea duck hunting in rough seas by himself and ends up peeing in his waders. The guy is a bit of a nut (#$119) but he is entertaining to watch.

Anybody want to buy an air plane? --125-3
http://www.controller.com/dealers/detail.asp?guid=&CID=2074&mode=dealer