PDA

View Full Version : Increase Client Base

Captcastafly
04-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Saturday was opening day of trout fishing season in Rhode Island. I’m blessed with having a state stocked trout pond one hundred feet from my property line. In past years there were as many as 75 to 100 children participate. This year there might have been a dozen children wet a line at best. The pond is a pretty safe place for families too with a very shallow bottom. The only current is a spillway overflow which really doesn’t interfere with fishing at all.

Yogi Berra once said, “The future lays a head of us.” How do we make sure that outdoor sports like fishing continue to flourish with the next generation of our youth? Many of you are parents and have children of teenage years. This is the target group I’m trying to address and solicit some advice. Hopefully this will increase my fishing fares in the immediate future.

I plan on retrofitting my current charter vessel to accommodate the changes of youth today, so they can fully enjoy fishing tomorrow. What better way for a child to grow and expand than to experience the “Great Outdoors” on the water. But I need help in several areas to accomplish this?

1. Can Bluetooth Cell Phone Technology be interfaced with my current Garmin Navigational System?
2. Can Play Stations2 Electronic Game be flush mounted to a center console?
3. What is the weather rating of such Play Station2 systems?
4. How many outlet ports would be required to plug in DVD Players, I Pods and cell phone charging stations, and a laptop to download pictures and text messages?
5. Lastly, since teenagers will not get up early to see a sunrise anymore, how does direct sunlight affect the illumination screens of electron games? Does one have to shield them somehow?
6. Have I missed anything?

pkw1689
04-15-2007, 07:43 PM
More questions:
Can your livewell system double as a source of filtered water for your sports' bongs?
Will baiting each other's hooks count as community service for their college essays?

ShaneY
04-15-2007, 08:36 PM
For starters the weather has not really been great for bringing kids fishing lately so I would'nt overreact. I'm kinda disturbed with the idea of putting a playstation on a center console meant for fishing. Im 23 and I suppose I bridge the gap between you and these kids. I would start by saying it begins with the parents. If dad doesnt take you fishing would you be a fisherman now? Also maybe as a captain you could offer deals to people who want to bring their kids up to a certain age before you could charge them for a second person on board. Think of it as an investment in your business. Another thing to think about would be what type of fishing are they doing? what methods and the timing. for example if I take an inexperienced fisherman I always go for the most sure thing the fall striper run for example. If you can get their attention tuned in that first time theyll come back. One of the ideas you had is a good direction though. Having a jack for an ipod would let them listen to the music they like while being out on the water.
Good luck
Shane

Bob Parsons
04-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Make sure you have some of those fishing video games for your play station. Nothing like seeing a 5# bass jump out of the water on the monitor.

Ken Buke
04-17-2007, 07:02 AM
I take one of my three sons fishing alot...They are getting older and giving me a hard time (morning, weather, better things to do.........the list gets longer every year).

BUT, there is hope. My oldest, 15, doesn't want to go. This year we are looking for a new boat to replace the carolina skiff. In choosing a boat, the first thing out of his mouth was...How can my buddies and I fish in that --127-3- --127-3- --127-3- ...it had carpet. It was a good day.

There is hope.

dlangan
04-17-2007, 09:46 AM
You struck a nerve. Valid points. But... we're the one's raising them. Yes, I too feel somewhat held hostage in the need to conform to today's societal norms... but again, we're the ones raising them.

My son is a die hard and for that I am appreciative. My daughter, despite being skilled w/ a fly rod, doesn't go anymore, but occassionally she has a moment of weakness and admits she misses it.....

loon
04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Nah, don't install any game hardware; by the time it's hooked up and de-bugged, you know the technology will be obsolete and the connectors will have changed.

On a slightly more serious note, there is hope! I have been helping a local 8th Grade Scienc/math teacher with one of the exit projects he designed for his class. I've been helping a bunch of 8th graders tie Deceivers, Clousers & Salt-shakers, and will be helping them with the casting. The project has several requirements:
A summary (with map) of the Striper Migration pattern.
A report on their forage and the flies used to imitate.
Tying the flies (only if the report is finished).
A detailed report on one anadromous fish, then present it to the class.
End of year trip..stay in Cambridge and fish the Charles for Stripers and at an upstream location for freshwater fish. (Last year two kids caught Schoolies on flies they had tied).

Steiger25
04-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Like anything with kids, I suppose it all starts at home (but with both parents). Although I fished primarily with my father (who hates fishing BTW --125-3 - he only went because we did a father/son fishing derby to kill time and I loved it), I remember a number of times my mother taking me to a fishing hole to catch catfish. She didn't know the first thing about fishing but she knew I loved it. I hope my wife will do the same thing with our kids after I am able to teach them the basics.

Also, just because a kid loses interest along the way doesn't mean that interest will not come back later - at least that was the case with me. I took a few years off toward then end of college, through grad school and my first job. At the time, there were other priorities (#$119) and fishing just didn't make the list. Then in my late twenties I realized how things got all out of whack and I got back in the game - that was about 8 years ago and I never looked back.

ShaneY
04-18-2007, 08:25 AM
There is hope, I went down to the town pond which was stocked last week and there were 6 kids from 7-12 down there in wading boots and casting away. One of them pulled two fish while I was there and they stayed for at least 4 hours.