PDA

View Full Version : miller's reports

cjp
05-05-2007, 01:26 PM
any reports on the miller's river? I am hoping to head there in the next few days.

shadfreak
05-07-2007, 07:53 PM
I fished the Millers on Sunday and caught some . I have heard from friends that the trout are hitting also. There was a lot of caddis on the water but I saw no risers. Check out this bass that hit a crayfish fly.
Larry

9870 9869

albacized
05-07-2007, 08:45 PM
I fished the Millers on Sunday and caught some . I have heard from friends that the trout are hitting also. There was a lot of caddis on the water but I saw no risers. Check out this bass that hit a crayfish fly.
Larry

9870 9869

For the Miller's River, that's a nice smallie...whenever I fish that river, I typically catch 30 or 40 smallies that are 10" or smaller and maybe one similar to the size you caught (if I'm lucky)

Trout77
05-08-2007, 02:27 PM
The Bearsden just got slammed (stocked) with some BIG browns on the 4th (middle Bearsden) in addition to the browns that like are hold-overs. There are striper sized browns in the lower C&R that I have seen :brow
I fished Sunday where Osgood Brook comes in, and I was getting hits on almost every cast. I was using weighted muddlers, but the bug-life should be showing this weekend... This is quickly becoming my favorite "brand-named" trout water in southern New England!!! ;)

jeffsod
05-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Nice smallie!!!

cjp
05-09-2007, 12:00 PM
small world we must have been fishing the same water. i hit the osgood brook area sunday mid day and nailed a bunch of stockies. also hit up the water down by earving. didn't have a chance to hit the bears den. it was my first time trout fishing in moving water in mass and it was a beautiful river to fish. i tried all different techniques but what worked was swinging flys with a sink tip.

keep the reports coming, i hope to get up there again shortly

Onshore
05-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Larry C. and I fished the Millers yesterday morning at one of the lower catch-n-release areas. He took a 14" rainbow and a 15" brown on nymphs and I had two smaller rainbows on small mudlers.

As we were leaving the stocking truck dumped a load right where we had begun to fish.

Water levels were excellent for a nice day on the river

Tynan
05-20-2007, 08:58 PM
All that rain over the last few days has really increased the volume in the rivers. I was surprised at how much a difference a day made. Anyone know how long it takes to return to a lower level? Or is it a wait and see game?

Gtown
05-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Anyone know how long it takes to return to a lower level? Or is it a wait and see game?

This is the USGS monitoring site. Most of the data is updated several times a day.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ma/nwis/rt

Tynan
05-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks, that is a great site.

Onshore
05-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Not all streams are on the USGS Site. Not all streams recover at the same rate either. Sometimes, it's just a matter of getting to know your favorite stream better.

Now that Beaver have become the State Rodent in MA and are pretty much protected and encouranged to dam; many streams that used to run off faster are much slower as the myriad dams and backwaters and swamps slow down the rain/runoff.

Tynan
05-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Been fishing local and most of the named trout rivers are still really high. Coming down daily though.

Onshore
05-28-2007, 04:04 PM
I fished about a mile of the Swift (E.Br) Sunday. Lots of small brookies and a few small rainbows on little Hare's Ear nymphs. Came home through Hardwick to fish the Ware but water was still high from release at the f.c.dam upriver.

BobG
05-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Bill,

On Nichewag Rd, about halfway between the first bridge, and the power lines there an excellent pool which used to have major hatches nearly ever evening this time of year (at least that was the case 30 years ago). You can almost see it from the rd. The pool is right at what looks to be the remains of an ancient RR tressle, or simply an ancient bridge of some sort. The pool was LOADED with large fresh water clams, and every racoon in the area would feast there on a nightly basis.
I love to have you give it a whirl before you pack up to Fla, and send me a report to see if things are still as they were when I was a kid. I'm really enjoying these trout reports of yours!:brow I really miss that neck of the woods.

Onshore
05-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Bob,

That sounds like where I started Sunday morning. Fished down to where stream goes under Nichwag Rd. and down to a little above the bridge on
Route 32A(Hardwick-Petersham Road.

Looks like we will fish the Millers Thursday AM and Plum Island that evening.

Bill

Tynan
05-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Bob, I will do one better for you. I don't believe this stream has changed in 30 yrs. My favorite place to fish. When you are there you could be anywhere. I took these for you since you sent me those pics of that Hatchet and Stone.

BobG
05-30-2007, 01:03 PM
That's it! I'm selling out, and moving back to central Ma!--126-3-
No, I'm not, but when I see those photos, I sure get homesick. Thanks for posting those Casey. That last photo, isn't that the Green Gate Pool?

Check your PM, I've got an additonal place to tell you about.;)

Tynan
05-30-2007, 02:05 PM
I think it is brown? Never really pay attention as I am all hyped up to get to the water. Path before the first bridge. I will let you know tonight what color that was from.

carrsallstars
05-30-2007, 09:12 PM
..but something really funny is that I have covered most of that water on the east branch- and that spot is not my favorite place in the world to fish- though the pictures are beautiful... and I always enjoy the beauty of the scenery and of the brook trout in that general area. I can't say I've been there in the evening to watch for risers- but I've failed to draw any fish out of that particular pool- having had more luck downstream of that area (strangely- there's another log-drop-pool right around there that looks great but I've only caught fallfish in).
I have taken the long way to that spot along the river- but I think there's likely a shortcut along whatever old road and river crossing once existed. The beavers have really had their way in the stretch upstream of that pool, though I can't say how much fun they were having in there 30 years ago! If you walk in from route 32/122 about a mile upstream of that area until you hit posted property , it looks rather like a beaver farm in many places.

Eric W
05-30-2007, 10:28 PM
I fished that area on Friday. I fished from about 8:00-12:00. It was crazy. There were tons of bugs on the water and the fish were about as active as possible. I ended up with about a dozen rainbows and two dozen brookies. I covered a mile or so of river and anywhere that looked like it should hold a fish, did! --127-3-

Tynan
05-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Starting a new thread on the Swift since this is going a little off-topic.