PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing for Vinny

fyshnutz
05-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Dear brothers and sisters of the angle,

If your fishing buddy twisted an ankle during the last fifteen minutes of daylight of the last day of the best hatch of the year, you’d reel in and help him back to the car, right? Have to think about it? Well, here’s one that should require no thought at all. Vinny Warden, the precious three-year-old son of one of our good friends (Brian) and his wife (Kara), needs help. Now, 64 of Vinny’s “aunts” and “uncles” want to give you the chance to get some great stuff for yourself while helping the Warden family defray the expenses associated with their son’s care.

Who is Vinny?

Vinny was born with an extremely rare neurological disorder called Canavan Disease (CD). Only about 500 cases have ever been documented in the US. Because he lacks a gene that controls acid build up in the white matter of his brain, his motor functions are severely affected. Since his grey matter is not affected, his thinking ability is not diminished. But he cannot walk or speak or even hold up his own head. He can, however, reach out, communicate through noises, and smile and laugh to let you know he is happy. While there is no cure for CD, we want you to join us to help the Wardens make Vinny as happy and comfortable as possible while we are graced with his presence. You can read more about this wonderful little boy at www.vincentshope.org or on
V-bay: the charity auction site to benefit Vinny Warden.

What is V-bay?

http://v-bay.blogspot.com/

As suggested by the name, V-bay is a charitable auction of (generally) fishing related goods and services donated from the heart.

You’ll find:

Flies of all kinds: Unique fresh and saltwater selections handmade by some of the most skilled and inventive tiers around.

Gear: Quality new and gently used rods, reels, nets, and other essentials you wouldn’t want to hit the water without.

Services: Take a guided trip or boost your fishing and tying skills with the help of Vinny’s aunts and uncles.

Vinny’s attic: To us, you’re like family. Feel free to poke around here. You never know what you might find.

Got your attention? Good. Please visit V-bay today at http://v-bay.blogspot.com/ where Vinny and the high bidder always win.

fyshnutz
05-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Bumping this bad boy up. A lot of you have looked at the auction for Vinny, thanks to you all of you. New items have been added so take another gander, let us know if you want to help? Reel Time will be added as a friend of Vinny, thanks again.

Up for auction 'till Sunday
Float trips at the "Ditch" in WY and local steel.
Rods (Scott, Sage, TFO, salt and fresh)
Blanks
Reels
Lines
Flies (Tied by some of the best)
Video (Feltsoul media, recognize)
Art
Books
Luggage
Plenty of accessories

Screamin' deals, great cause, what's not to love?

ACE
05-15-2007, 01:18 PM
hey! this is great! how do I tell if I'm the high bidder?

fyshnutz
05-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Hey Ace, read the comments to see if you are the high bidder, and while you are at it read some of the comments, these guys and gals rock and are funny to boot (think there are going to be side bets on whether Reef or 'fud wins the float trip in Oregon.)

Thanks again everyone..

fyshnutz
05-18-2007, 05:00 PM
A few more days to go, many new items added, including:

A $100 Gift certificate to Eldridge Brothers Fly Shop in Cape Neddick ME,

starting at only $50!!!

bobfishgerald
05-20-2007, 06:16 AM
I just checked out the site. I really think this is a thoughtful way to raise money for this young boy.

Great gear and great deals with all the money ending up in the right place. A lot of stuff is ending tonight.

fyshnutz
05-31-2007, 04:05 PM
I would like to thank everyone that followed the link, read the information about Vinny, and may have even purchased something from our auction. We raised about $3,800 to help the Warden family pay medical bills. It's not a lot compared to the bills that have piled up, but we did what we could to help a fellow fisherman and we feel pretty good about it. It's not to late to read about Vinny and see what you missed.

Thanks again, fyshnutz

Too Fly
07-12-2007, 11:44 AM
I'd like to bump this one up too.

kkbward
09-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Hello - this is Vinny's dad. I was poking around looking for albie patterns for my annual trip next month and noticed this post. I didn't know nutz posted this for us here....

My thanks for everyone who participated as the auction really helped us upgrade his wheelchair....you could get a reasonable boat for what these things cost.

My thanks again folks. feel free to un-pin this one as the auction is over and if we do another, we will re-post if folks are interested.

brian