PDA

View Full Version : vineyard tomorrow (6/1) Advice needed

Manomartian
05-31-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm taking the 6A ferry over and fishing all day. Never been there. I will be using the island bus and my bike to get around. I've read the archives and if possible will check in at Larry's B&T.
Conditions tomorrow: High tide @Wasque is 10:44A. Overcast, possible am showers, winds SW 15-25. Light tackle.
I can pretty much get anywhere on the island by 8am. Any recent intel or reccommendations?

TimBB
05-31-2007, 02:29 PM
I fished Wasque last Sunday, by boat. Both bass and blues. Bass were 25" to 31", good size blues. There were lots of people fishing from shore.

Ray
05-31-2007, 02:31 PM
If you want to trek up island take the bus to Menemsha then the bike ferry over to the pond. There is nice drop you can wade which will have fish on the changing tides. You can also take the bus up to Aquinnah (no longer called Gay Head), walk down to Dogfish Bar and work all the way down to Menemsha.

Ifyou want to spring for the cheapest rental car you can get it would be well worth it and save a ton of time.

Good Luck.

Manomartian
05-31-2007, 03:18 PM
Okay, Ray... went ahead and rented the car. Great idea. My wife will be urinated but I'll tell her one of the moderators insisted.

Can't wait. Last ferry back is at 9:30pm. Should be able to hit a couple of spots.. Maybe up inside of Pogue gut..

Thanks..

Manomartian
05-31-2007, 03:19 PM
thanks for the report on wasque tim

Can't wait

IanB
05-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Although a car is absolutely essential imo, one thing that is also very important is to stick to the public parking area's. Residents (read MILLIONAIRES) don't like anyone, anyone, anyone parking on thier road frontage, driveway or anything else that might look like a 'fishing pull off'. So, find parking in the area's that are public and be sure to enjoy the fishing. Might be a good idea to invest in some nice light breathable waders so that hiking great distances won't be a problem. Just my .02 about the parking.

IB

arcane
05-31-2007, 05:18 PM
Wasque is a long hike even with a car, and not the best flyfishing spot unless you're really lucky. Dogfish Bar, and Cape Pogue Gut on Chappy (incoming better than outgoing), are better bets, but they're an hour or so distant so you should know which way to head when you arrive. Larry's will give you advice on best tides, and maybe on other locations. I'd call and talk to them now.

Take plenty of $$: lots of ways to spend monery there, like the Chappy ferry, and you've got to eat, and buy something for the wife, right? And pay attention as the ticks are numerous this year.

brushfly
05-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Two Options by bike or car.

Sengentacket (Splling?) I hear is fishing well. You can work the turn of the channel into the pond on the incomming and wade as well. Should fish well on a moving tide around sunrise/ sunset.

Lake Tashmoo- Main St. through Vineyard Haven. Left on Dagget to the end. Dirt road on your right. 1.5 miles will bring you to the channel. Fish should be tight to the jetties and inside the pond on the edges of the channel. You can wade pretty far out wading south and then in towards the channel markers. Should be holding fish.

Good luck and report your results. Heading up end of summer.

Manomartian
05-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Lake Tashmoo- Main St. through Vineyard Haven. Left on Dagget to the end. Dirt road on your right. 1.5 miles will bring you to the channel.

Is that a place I can park without getting a ticket or towed?

Thanks for the info.;)

brushfly
05-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Here's the deal on Parking:

Lobsterville: Yes but extremely LIMITED
Sengontacket Pond: Yes, plenty along the Edgartown Oak Bluff Rd.
Menemsha Basin Side: Yes, but at first light to around 10:00
Cape Pogue Chappy Side: Yes but limited
Lake Tashmoo: Ample Parking

None of the spots above require any kind of permit. Google Larry's and there's flags with Beach Fishing and Fly Fishing info.

Manomartian
05-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks! Very helpful.

Duke of Fluke
05-31-2007, 10:26 PM
i read in the paper (MV Times) that a 60.1 pound fish was taken there on monday. you should probably target one of those since it's pretty obvious that the're running now. however, if you got the compact rental car you may have to upgrade to the midsize to get that hog back to the ferry.