PDA

View Full Version : Flats, Wade, Fly, Sight and blind, S.E. Cape 6/3:

RandyJones
06-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Flats, Wade, Fly, Sight and blind, S.E. Cape 6/3:

Started off on a low tide hole that tends to hold lots of fish. Ton's hanging here, easy pickens, lots of bent rods, all 24-26 inch'ers. Normally a few bigger, but not today. With the sun trying to make an appearance and then finally staying out for a good 2-3 hours today (surprise!) we moved 100 yards to one of the best flats in N.E. 4-5 schools of 15-50 fish, even combination of Bass and Blues, LOTS of BIG single and double resident Bass. :) Probably around 200 or so sighted over this VERY short period of prime time kick arse sight fishing. Almost steady fish. Our bonus of the sun and sight fishing finally disappeared so we called it another grand day of many. Covered several miles, my feet hurt. Hope you all get a chance to sample some of the finest flats wade fly/spin sight fishing around, some time soon and wishing you the best of luck!
Best Fish's,
Randy
www.yankeeangler.com

RandyJones
06-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Randy,
I am curious where you saw all those fish?
I fished the bath tube on thurs and south beach on friday and the fishing was sparse to say the least
thanks, Rich
-
Hi Rich,
I was in your same general area on a flat and possibly surf. No secret's. Same ol same hole. We had a challenging day on S.B. last week also. It helps to be on the sand almost everyday working (full - time guideing :) for the last 10 years or so. Also, notice that the tides are getting better since last week? That alone helped us yesterday. Most of us experienced a lil slower fishing last week due to the slowness of those tides, the extra distance that had to be consistently achieved to get the fly on'm fast and accurately when sighted, combined with mother natures all day rumblings.
Best Fish's,
Randy
www.yankeeangler.com - Fishing Reports, Pictures, Ramblings, Tips, Articles, Etc....

sandy
06-04-2007, 09:11 PM
We fished the area 6/1 through 6/3 and had some interesting fishing. Friday on the inside there were some huge pods of pogies. I've attached one of the guy next to me surrounded by them. At first there were some big stripers herding them back and forth and a large deceiver brought in a nice one. Then the blues showed up, the stripers took off, and things turned into a bloodbath. It was pretty amazing to see them swimming through the center of hundreds of pogies. Saturday we headed to So.Beach and had a great time sight-casting to pods cruising the beach. Things didn't turn on until about 1pm. I love seeing 40" fish in two feet of water! Sunday we headed back to SoBeach in the afternoon but clouds made it difficult to spot fish. Blind casting lead to some schoolies, some blues, and a couple cows hooked but lost. Overall, a great weekend but nothing over 28" landed.

SteepBank
06-05-2007, 10:47 AM
I swear I have never fished from shore and been surrounded by that many pogies...that pic is off the hook and I got stoked just checking it out. Nice report!

G-Man
06-05-2007, 10:51 AM
I agree ... and that part of the Cape I have only fishing a half dozen times ... It's magical ... big area ... but very special.

What could the caption be on the seal pic?
One seal talking to another ...
"Boy, I wish he would get fishing .... I'm starving!" :cool:

Thanks for the reports guy.

sandy
06-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I think those seals have learned what a bent rod means. Packs would stop and stare at us for 15 minutes. During that time we hoped to not hook into something big as it would have been their lunch.