PDA

View Full Version : R they 'here' or just going 'north'?

DaleH
06-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Given this latest bought of toona caught off the NWC and locales. Every June we have seen them crash the mackerel schools while bass fishing off of Cape Ann, and I mean every season for the last 20+ we've (brothers and I) have kept logs.

Now ... 'til the latest SBFT craze ... no one that I know really targeted them in the Spring season.

So are these fish being caught staying here or are these just your typical migrating fish that are heading north into Maine and/or Canadian waters ... (#$119)? I think they could just be fishing swimming up the globe. Then again, the bluefish are about 3 weeks early to my locale this year, as early as I've ever seen them.

Anyone venture a guess as to the toona? I guess if we don't seem them around in the next few weeks, then I was right then - huh??

FireFly
06-12-2007, 04:48 PM
My guess is they are just heading north and passing through the waters much like every other year. Why? Because I have yet to see the small SBFT and these are more or less what show up late July and stick around until November. What you see on the NWC right now are much larger than the SBFT we chase.

ruge13
06-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Happens every year, there is a flurry of excitement early, the fishing is slow and cold so people's hearts and will are broken after a day or two of no life and expensive fuel. It dies out a bit and people go back to bass fishing until warmer winds roll in later int he summer. Just more and more people looking for them, realizing what they are looking at, and reporting back to the masses online.

I don't think its anything all that abnormal. The fish can tolerate cold water, not a surprise they are passing through when its cold. I think it has alot mor to do with the fisherman, not the fish.

Soundking
06-12-2007, 05:26 PM
SBFT?! WHERE?!!!! Gotta go rig up my tube n worm!!!!!!

OffshoreAngler
06-12-2007, 08:04 PM
If you have access to both sides of the Cape, you can target them from Mid June-Mid August...South of MV to Chatham, Then Mid August to mid November CCB to the NWC. Passing through yes but they just keep coming through. We caught them mid to late June last year on the to early July without targeting them. We then got them from Late July through mid November moving around and targeting them. If you can move around I think they are always here from June to Nov is reasonably close waters in "good enough" numbers and of course at times great numbers.

IMO, If you are only fishing the SWC and NWC you are missing 30-40% of the season.