PDA

View Full Version : Fishing up the Qunnie

NatickDave
06-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Qunnie Regulars,

How feasible is it to put in above the powerhouse (or whatever that is called) and wade up the Quinnie to the Cable Pool or even Canada Mills. How many river miles is that?

TIA,
Dave

BobG
06-13-2007, 11:07 AM
The "powerhouse" right at the spillway entering Wachusett, all the way to the "cable pool"?:confused:

Tynan
06-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Feasible yes! Do you have a bike? If so it will be extremely easy. All you need to do is ride the rail trail that runs up the side of the river till you get to the end in Holden. Also the Rail Trail hits all the best spots and gives you the best access to the cable pool.
I have toyed with the idea of using my canal bike down there but would have to adjust my rod holders to be able to hold fly reels.

Mileage. From the Quinnies Mouth in WB it is about 2 miles or so to the cable pool by rail trail. I assume givin that the river bends it is a little longer than that to the cable pool by river. It would be a fun day though.

NatickDave
06-13-2007, 01:07 PM
By "powerhouse" I meant the point where the river meets the res...basically, the lower limit of river, the upper limit of the basin.

Thanks,
Dave

Eddy Merckx
06-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Like Tynan said, bike it. You can go all the way from the rail trail parking lot in West Boylston to the big pool in Canada Mills, hitting all the best spots along the way. It's about three miles from the WB parking area to the cable pool. The old mill area is worth checking out, it's a little farther away from the road and a decent walk in from the parking area in CM, so it doesn't get as much pressure as other parts of the river.

NatickDave
06-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Eddy and Tynan,

Is the "old mill" upstream or downstream of the spot where River Rd. crosses the river at CM?

Thanks for all the input,
ND

Tynan
06-13-2007, 05:29 PM
About half way downstream towards the dam.

Tynan
06-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Dave, I didn't get a chance to go up River Road driving by today but the lower portion of river, the "Basin" area is way down. Lowest I have seen it for a long time. It appears they shut down the water coming out of the aquaduct to get it that low. I will check it out tomorrow and let you know what the upper level looks like.

When are you planning on doing this trip?

Eddy Merckx
06-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Upper levels are fine, I was there last night.

The whole reservoir below the Oakdale dam is very low for this time of year, not sure what's going on.

smcisaac
06-15-2007, 10:07 AM
What flies were working, Eddie?

NatickDave
06-15-2007, 10:14 AM
I was considering a trip there this weekend...my wife is from Holden and she will be taking the kids up there for a father's day visit to the folks. Her loving father's day gift to me is a day off from kid-herding, which means a chance to fish. I often hit the Cable Pool and Trout Brook (sometimes with my father in law in tow, he grew up fishing those waters for meat) when we visit, and I thought I might make a bit more of a trip out of it and fish my way up from the res to Manning Rd. or something like that.

I have only fished below the 195 bridge once and only for a short time, so I don't know the river at all other than around the Cable Pool. My biggest concern is not that, but of crowds on father's day. I might just stay around the 'hood and hammer the warmwater fish, or even brave the puckerbrush for some brookies.

Dave

Tynan
06-15-2007, 12:50 PM
I do not think crowds will be a factor for you Dave. So much access and so little flyfishers. The main areas and the better pools are usually pressured but you can get away form them with ease. Check your inbox and any questions let me know.

The_T
06-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Dave,

Did you manage to get out on Sunday? I got out for a couple of hours at the cable pool from 2-4. I wish I could've stayed out till dark. There were a bunch of dragon flies touching down on the surface laying eggs and the trout were trying to grab them. It was fun to watch.

I picked up two (brown and brookie) on an elk hair caddis and missed two others on a sulphur comparadun. The fun thing was that I could see the trout in the tail of the pool and target specific fish.

.T

NatickDave
06-18-2007, 10:09 PM
T,

No, I didn't make it out there, but it sounds like I should have! Congrats on a fine time on the water.

I knew that my time on the water would be only the middle of the hot day, and I really didn't feel like driving given my two long trips coming this week. So I stayed home and tryed my hand at a local UDL that is reported to contain brookies...the water was gorgeous and cool, but the stream was so overgrown that I could barely move, much less cast. I gave up after about a half hour, came back the the house and then hit the Charles for a bit. The water is still high (or is that high again?), so some places were off limits without the canoe. Still, I managed the regular assortment of sunnies, calicos and largemouth. The sunnies were obviously still on their redds, and they were positively bursting with eggs. Some had torn up bellies, I assume from moving gravel (?)

Thanks to all of you guys for the great advice and pointers on the Quinnie. I'll be back out there soon.

Dave

Tynan
06-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Low and slow. Warming up fast. A few out of the way pools had fish but that was it.

Eric W
06-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Ive been fishing the Quinny a couple nights a week. I have had good luck a pool above Canada Mills that doesn't seem to get any pressure. I have been getting a nice mix of brookies and browns. I fished the Cable pool for a little bit last night. Lots of rising trout and I forgot my dry fly box....

Tynan
06-21-2007, 07:43 PM
That seems to be the answer. You need to walk a little to find what fish are there. Almost got to the C Pool but had decent fishing above it a ways.

Eddy Merckx
06-25-2007, 03:10 PM
After a weekend of kid and yard duty I rewarded myself with a quick outing on the Quinnie. Only there for about 90 minutes, but got into fish above, in, and below the Cable Pool. Couple of bows, a brown, and two brookies, all on a variety of dries. Didn't see anyone else on the river.

Tynan
06-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks, almost saw me there, but had to be good for tonights all-nighter. Wish I went as these thunderstorms may impact the trip.