PDA

View Full Version : Gull Island

Glory
06-27-2007, 06:11 AM
Usually around the end of June a wave of big bass arrive at Little Gull. Anyone been there in the last few days? I was there last week and only found bluefish.

Glory
07-04-2007, 06:19 AM
Still no replies about Gull Island? If I make it out today I'll report.

AndyF
07-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Hey Glory, any luck? I stopped by the gulls yesterday (Sunday) and Little Gull had about a half dozen seals on the north side. Too bad, because the fish finder was marking a lot of big fish, although there was no top water/bird activity at least when I was there mid-morning. There were groups of smallish blues about a half mile south of the gulls, and also by the race. Gardiners Bay is full of voracious blues, especially around Cartright.

I thought it was late in the year for seals, but I checked with the Riverhead foundation and they say it is not unusual for some to be around this time of year.

There must be some other reports from this past week?

Glory
07-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Andy.. I never made it out to Gull. When I was there a couple weeks ago I noticed a couple of seals. Very surprising. I've never seen seals there before during the summer. Can't be too good for fishing. If I get out this week I'll report back.

brushfly
07-10-2007, 02:20 PM
My log shows a fat Grey Seal in Montauk Harbor 6/12/89. The same one ? or another was just beyond the breakers behind IGA the next day. Only time I've seen them after Mem. Day. Was deffinetly a grey and not a harbor. BIG.

mctrout
07-11-2007, 09:19 AM
i personally have not been to the the gulls much, but have not seen allot of fish and have seen allot of seals, and very well maybe related. Last time I was there I saw one eat a striper right in front of us. small one. Yesterday I was there on a strong incoming with not allot happening...

MarkZ
07-11-2007, 10:23 AM
seals=lots o' fishies

Glory
07-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Sounds like I missed the Gull action or that it never happened this year. Too bad.. it's usually one of the highpoints of my season. Was nice to catch big stripers one after another while simulataneously dodging rocks. Not relaxing fishing.. but fun.

mctrout
07-11-2007, 03:40 PM
definately hasn't happened yet but will

browndog
07-11-2007, 07:59 PM
The Gulls were rockin on the new moon in June. Lots of nice bass.

Glory
07-12-2007, 09:45 AM
What date was that in June? Hope you're right Brendan but I don't see it happening this far into July.

browndog
07-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Mid month.