PDA

View Full Version : Outtrigger for small boat

JoeA
07-09-2007, 11:06 AM
I need some help rigging my 23 foot seacraft with outriggers. I don't have a t top to mount them to and I was wondering how I could approch this problem. I really need to get outriggers on the boat because I want to troll squid bars. How do you guys rig your small boats with outriigers?

marlinslayer
07-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Joe
Contact member Go Fish (p.m. him) , he did what you speak of doing and he did his really nice. He can steer you in the right direction and he's a super nice guy! Good luck ......
Dennis

DaleH
07-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Yup, he uses Taco "Strike" gunnel-mounted riggah bases. I have an older set for 1-1/8" bases for sale, $40 + delivery if interested.

No poles, just bases and "J's" to hold/position the poles into the bases. These are the older style, using the locking pin (like a rod gimbal). Their new ones are $110 on-line and use a faceted engagement mechanism.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/smd/images/prodimages/taco/ta1310_L.jpg

ReelTime1974
07-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Hey Joe,

It is Roland (Denise's husband), we just purchased the 24 Hydra Sport Vector around the same time you purchased your sea craft. I would recomend using the gunnel mounted outriggers. There are serveral different styles you can get (removable and fixed mounted) so it will depend on what you are looking for. To be honest, we do not even use outriggers on our boat, we have the t-top to mount them on but you do not even need them if you are planning to run 3 rods or less in your spread. We fish 2 rods from the gunnel rod holders and the 3rd from the leaning post holders on the center. The 3 rod spread works out nice and we had close calls with the bluefin last weekend. If you are planning on running more than 3 in your spread, go for the gunnel mounts.

If you have questions or need help, let me know, would be more than happy to give you a hand or get you out on our boat so you can see the set up. r_lizotte3@yahoo.com or 774-437-1882

parapapam
07-09-2007, 02:58 PM
I fish a 23 foot CC. Recently I have landed several tuna (45 - 60 inch) on a 20 foot boat and a 17 foot Whaler Newport. IMHO you don't need outriggers to be successful in small boat tuna fishing in shallow (non-canyon) waters.

Obviously you need outriggers to run a 9 rod spread. But I have had good luck with a 4 to 6 rod spread. I think that is all you really need in CCB or East of Chatham.

Some alternatives:

1. Out rodders: Fish the bars from the corners and leaning post. Fish chains or single lures from the out rodders. You can get 5 rods to run easily this way.

2. Mike's Cheap A$$ Uprigger: I run two bars from the corners. Then I run one bar out of the wash from my leaning post. The leaning post has 4 rocket launchers. This leaning post rod is about 8 feet up (Four feet to the holder and 6 foot rod... then subtract some overlap)

Then I stick a collapsable 12 foot painters pole with a release clip taped to the top in the leaning post. I stick a second rod in the leaning post and run it from the clip on the painters pole. This can be raised and lowered to give me about 12 to 14 feet of elevation. The two leaning posts rods can cross back and forth over each other without tangling since they are seperated by about 4 feet in elevation. (make sure to secure the rod with a safety strap). I can run 6 rods easily this way, 4 bars and 2 daisy chains, which is more than you really need.

Yes I broke the painters pole "greenstick" last year. It cost me $15 for a new one.... ya it is that cheap.

3. Side riggers: If I was going to spend the money for outriggers (which I am not) I would buy these instead: http://www.siderigger.com/index.htm.

These are just some alternatives that work just fine for small boat, near shore tuna fishing.

Mike

saltyric
07-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Sideriggers work really well. Give them a look.

siderigger.com

PeterSorensen
07-10-2007, 07:23 AM
I put the Taco Gunnel Mount 1 1/2 inch Striker bases with 15' poles on my 19' CC and they work great. I can troll a nice 4 rod spread. When I don't need them they pop right out for easy storage.
http://home.comcast.net/~bigpete55/4rods.jpg

Go Fish
07-10-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm set up EXACTLY like Pete. 1.5" X 15' Taco Riggers and 1.5" Striker bases. I also run a single 1.5" X 15' Taco rigger pole out of my leaning post as a center rigger. It is an excellent set-up for a small boat and allows me to run a nice 6 rod "Big Boy" spread (although I usually only run 4).

While you can run a decent 3 or 4 rod spread under the right conditions (1-2 foot seas and some wind chop) with outrodders there are two serious deficiencies and both are related to how high you can get the line off of the water.

On sloppy days waves will often be higher than the rod tip of an outrodder mounted pole when the boat is in a trough. You will find that the line will slice through a wave and the bait attached to it will dive. It is nearly impossible to get a squid bar to run correctly under these conditions.

On days when it is calm, and fish are boat shy, you will not be able to run baits far enough back and keep the line out of the water. Keeping the line out of the water is key. The line and the "V" in the water stick out like a fat chick a supermodel conference and they won't go any where near your baits.

backman
07-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Kevin.

Run one side straight up and down and one deployed out to the side. You can drop your biggest bar back on the vertical rigger to get more distance; run a smaller one on the other side and something else down the middle.

I get a lot of comments on Skipjack's "one legged look" on the water but I'd say 60-70% of my strikes over 7 years have been on the long bar on the upraised rigger.

last week in brutal conditions I ran both riggers high and varied the distance to make a diamond pattern which raised fish.

Height = distance and distance is more important than a wide spread.

Go Fish
07-10-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm right there with you on height Larry.

That is what my oversized center rigger is all about. It sticks almost straight up out of the leaning post so it is about 18 feet off the surface of the water. When it kicks up I can still keep a big bar running well in the WAAAAY back spot.

I like your "one legged" method and will try it the next time conditions are right (or wrong if you like)

parapapam
07-10-2007, 02:04 PM
On days when it is calm, and fish are boat shy, you will not be able to run baits far enough back and keep the line out of the water. Keeping the line out of the water is key. The line and the "V" in the water stick out like a fat chick a supermodel conference and they won't go any where near your baits.

I respectfully disagree.

If the line in the water was a big deal, how could you run a single bait that sinks (green machine, rig ballyhoo, whatever)? All baits require the line in the water unless you are fishing with a kite....

As for bar in vs. bar out of the water, there is another thread running on that right now. But splash bars (they sell a ton of them) have the bar in the water.

Not slamming here... just offering a different point of view.

As for height..... My cheap painters pole works the same as your expensive uprigger for keeping the lines from crossing. If money was more plentiful, I would buy the outriggers. But then again if money was more plentiful, I'd buy Larry's boat (or one just like it.)

Mike

Go Fish
07-10-2007, 02:23 PM
I hear you Mike.

I ran outrodders for a couple of seasons and caught fish. I think they are a great solution for small boat trolling. I still use mine when I don't feel like fussing with setting up riggers.

The point of my post was to suggest that there is value in riggers on a small boat, not to discourage the use of other proven tools.

The line in the water comment comes from an article in one of the offshore mags in which the author put a diver in the water and trolled all kinds of baits over him. The observation of the diver was that in the turbulent water around something like a squid bar or daisy chain he couldn't make out the line between the baits but the line before the bait stuck out like a sore thumb and the "V" was really visible.

The diver also had a hard time distinguishing actual color but could clearly observe the difference between light and dark baits....but that could be another thread in itself....

fishahn
07-10-2007, 04:37 PM
JoeA,
I am going thru the same choices. I decided to go with double rigger that fits in one rod holder, one is in the traditional flat line position pointed straight back and the other is at a 90 degree angle, made of schedule 40 aluminum, custom made in Florida. if you put in redneck riggers on ebay you will get a good view of them. I didnt go with the redneck but just regular double one. the redneck has a drink holder welded on which I liked but just didn't end up with it. the owner is real nice too. pm me if you want or I'll let you know how they work out. cost was much less than sideriggers and I didn't see a huge benefit to the side rigger over this! also looked at EZ outrodders which I liked but only hold one rod versus two with these.

Rich