PDA

View Full Version : Guatelmala Sailfish

sa1280
08-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Has anyone gone to Guatelmala to fish for the supposedly bountiful sails down there? I am thinking of looking into a trip down there this winter to give it a try. I have been to Costa Rica twice now with nothing to show as far as sails go. I know of the Pacific Fins lodge, but I do not want the whole 5-star thing- I am fine with staying in a cheap hotel, I'd rather spend the money on a few days of charters. Has anyone done any charters not provided by the lodges?

CaptGeneKelly
08-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Check out tropicalfishing.com/guatemala.html for information about a less expensive alternative to fishing in Guatemala
I deal with locally owned boats and a very nice hotel on the Ocean.

Has anyone gone to Guatelmala to fish for the supposedly bountiful sails down there? I am thinking of looking into a trip down there this winter to give it a try. I have been to Costa Rica twice now with nothing to show as far as sails go. I know of the Pacific Fins lodge, but I do not want the whole 5-star thing- I am fine with staying in a cheap hotel, I'd rather spend the money on a few days of charters. Has anyone done any charters not provided by the lodges?

backwater
08-29-2007, 03:31 AM
I've been to Guatemala for sailfish last February and it more than lived up to the hype. There were sailfish everywhere. Four of us fished for three days and we each caught about five or six a day. That was considered a little on the slow side for that time of the year. We stayed at the Sailfish Bay Lodge and really enjoyed it. The operation was first rate in every way. I would highly recommend it. As far as a do it yourself/budget trip. I would book through a lodge. We fished out of Puerto Iztapa, about three hours or so from Guatemala City. There weren't any hotels that I could see near the marina. If you've never been to Guatemala before you might want to consider that the overall safety level is significantly less than what it is in most of the tourist spots in Mexico. The people are friendly, but there are armed guards everywhere and violent crime is not that uncommon. That being said, I never once felt uncomfortable, even on our last night out in Guatemala City before we left. I'm just not sure that I would have wanted to do a DIY style of fishing trip here, on my first trip. Anyway, the fishing was outstanding, I would love to go back again. Good luck,

Tom

Kevin Styles
09-08-2007, 09:30 AM
We run one of the longest running operations in Guatemala - and I can confirm that the fishing is outstanding. That's why we are down there (there isn't much else compared to Cabo etc !)
If you want to review the fishing, we put out (almost) weekly fishing reports that you are welcome to browse at greatsailfishing.com/en/weeklyfishing.htm

gresmi
09-08-2007, 08:47 PM
What's this about safety? Should I pack my M4?

sa1280
09-09-2007, 08:06 AM
How does it compare safety-wise to Costa Rica? I've been to CR twice, never had any problems, and never felt uncomfortable. I also met several people, girls included, who had travelled through central america alone and not had a problem. I think a big part of it is not being the "dumb tourist" type with a fanny pack and giant camera bag hanging around your neck, looking like an easy target.

CaptGeneKelly
09-09-2007, 09:24 AM
There are partf of Guatemala where safety can be an issue. But not the area where the fishing takes place.
The road to the coast is mostly expressway, and once you are on location you will only be at your lodging place or on the boat. There is nothing else in that area except for sugar cane and cows.