PDA

View Full Version : Eleuthria Bahamas

streamside
10-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Heading down on the 12 of Nov. Be staying @ the Rainbow Inn. Appreciate any advice on fly patterns,guides and DIY flats.

Thanks in advance Ray

SageBoy
10-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Was down there this past Spring. What a beautiful place. I'm sure there are others who will chime in that know the island better then me.

Airport Flats, Savana Sound, Ten Bay, Governors Harbor are some flats that are always mentioned.

The pier right off of Governor's Harbor is a great place to watch the sun fade. Many nights we would go down there with a rod and drink and wait for the Bonito to show. We would also see many other creatures of the deep. Pretty cool to watch them in shallow water chasing bait.

englishman
10-13-2007, 07:43 AM
I would also be interested to hear from any one that has been to Eleuthera and done a DIY, How did they find the fishing , was is busy there, lots of fishing pressure? cost of eating , price of gas etc
Was wade fishing easy. any information at all would help
many thanks

Jim Miller
10-13-2007, 08:38 AM
do a search on this site. Lot's of reports and info.
Have fun..... it's a beautiful island! :-%

SageBoy
10-20-2007, 09:39 AM
I would also be interested to hear from any one that has been to Eleuthera and done a DIY, How did they find the fishing , was is busy there, lots of fishing pressure? cost of eating , price of gas etc
Was wade fishing easy. any information at all would help
many thanks

The fishing on my trip was tough. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the moon phase and or fishing pressure but those fish had lock jaw. Finding the fish was not a problem. Getting them to eat was.

It was not busy at all which is what I liked. It was obvious that there had been people fishing in some spots but overall it's a very quiet island.

Cost of gas was about $2 higher then the US at the time I was there. Cost of eating is a little higher but if you find the right places you can have good food at reasonable prices. We ate in a few times which is something to consider.

Wade fishing is very easy. It's cracking the code on the fish that was tough for me.

Overall a great island. The friendliest people I have met outside of the US.

MKDeceiver
10-20-2007, 10:22 AM
I got my first Bonefish up around Current Island, which were the best flats I saw, IMO. Only problem is that's about all I did up there because the winds were blowing from the North, thus blowing fish off those flats...

I saw the most fish in Savannah sound but those fish are definitely tough. Not enough time to dedicate to them with the Girlfriend now ex around. It's not a bad place to go...Food, gas, all that expect to reach into your pockets...Not many places to eat, except at resorts...I guess you could get a guide, but you could do very well DIY as long as you don't have a cold front pushing through. As any trip, you need some luck...

Henry
10-23-2007, 11:26 AM
I ldearly love fishing Eleuthera and because of that...I can't give you specific directions to any flats not commonly mentioned over the internet. What I can offer you...is that you should carefully study "Google Earth" images of the island and compare the appearance of "known or publicised" fishing flats, with flats you can see on GE!. A small hand-help GPS unit helps greatly in locating just the right spots (you get your way-points directly from GE).

Somehow, someway...get access to a kayak or canoe. This will help you get to flats that other DIY anglers can't normally fish (thereby...dumber bones....real dumb...okay!, STUPID BONES!!!). Of course, weather permitting...as I so soberingly discovered my last trip this spring.

As for guides, I strongly suggest you look up Paul Petty and have him take you out. NOT to the Govenors Harbour flats or the Schoolie bones in Balara!...Pay the extra bucks and have him take you "SOUTH". He's got some killer spots that he's the only one that fishes. He's pricy though for a trip like that (approx. $400-$500 a full day) but if the weather is reasonable,...you'll get bit by some real bruisers!!!). On North Eleuthera, If you're lucky, try to book Joe Cleare (of Dick Brown "Flyfishing for Bonefish" book fame), and have him take you to the vast flats of North Eleuthera. He'll put you on fish for sure...you just have to make them eat!!!

I've already said too much...mabey because I might not get back there this spring for the first time in 5 years. I've been concentrating on Cuba lately...basically a virgin fishery with totally uneducated guides and even more uneducated fish.

Best regards!!! and tight loops.

Henry

SpexnReds
10-23-2007, 11:31 AM
I really envy you Canadians with your ability to go to Cuba, and you know why.

titleguy
10-24-2007, 07:39 AM
I fished there in late Feb of '06- had a great time. I fished to mornings with Denny Rankin out of Savannah Sound- tough fishing, but good learning. I cruised all over the island in my time there and would second Henry's thought of south- Look at Google Earth and check out the southern end, you'll like what you see; probably about 1.5 hours driving from Rainbow. I didn;t fish the Atlantic side beaches much, but heard that the fish there are bigger and dumber. Size six tan sili leg gotcha got all my bones. For jacks, etc., size 1 or 2 white yak hair clouser. Brought an 8 and a 9 and had a ball.

For food- I ended eating dinner at Mate and Jenny's in Palmetto Point most nights, except forthe Friday Fish Fry in Governour's Harbour- have to go to that.

Really fun place, great people and wild scenery. Have fun and report back.:-%