PDA

View Full Version : Patriots By 14 Points

Onshore
10-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Now, I watched the Dallas/Buffalo game last weekend and came away thinking what a clutz Romo is. Then, I've listened to all the media hype this week and the LasVegas line is now Patriots by 10.

I still think he's a clutz, but they have won 5 games and lost none despite that.... So......

Patriots 31
Cowboys 14

FlyFishFrostie
10-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Bill,

I like your forecast, but Dallas will be the first team with a winning record that the Pats have faced this year, so I'd be inclinded to narrow that spread down a little more from the average margin that the Pats have beaten all of their losing-record opponents thus far.

Pats 48, Cowboys 38

sage fly guy
10-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Patriots 52

Cowgirls 6

anglin4bass
10-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Bill,

I like your forecast, but Dallas will be the first team with a winning record that the Pats have faced this year, so I'd be inclinded to narrow that spread down a little more from the average margin that the Pats have beaten all of their losing-record opponents thus far.

Pats 48, Cowboys 38

I would be hard pressed to think that the Pat's will allow Dallas to score 38 pts.Dallas has a good record but look @ who they played........:rolleyes:

There is way to much hype for todays game,the Pats are gonna lay the boots to Romo.Think about it,Romo got picked off 5 times last week by the Bills.The freakin Bills!!! We kicked thier ars!

Samul,Vrabil,Colvin and now that we have Rodney back our D-fence is gonna tare a large hole in there offence and not let up, then Brady & Co. will capitalize on it and walk away--126-3-unlike the Bills who stuggled offencivly and couldn't get the job done.

42-17 Pats:cool:

Anglin_

Onshore
10-14-2007, 12:24 PM
edited: 10/13/2007
Patriots 37
Cowboys 14

Since the forum does not allow me to edit the title of above post, I'm posting my edited/revised prediction here.

After careful review of all factors, I'm giving the Patriots another TD and leaving the Cowboys the original 14 pts.

I think that TO will self-destruct(if he hasn't already) and take Romo with him. At the same time, Randy Moss will have his best day as a Patriot.

Patriots by 23

Bill

Onshore
10-14-2007, 08:01 PM
They are who I thought they were !
What else can be said ?

Patriots 48
Cowboys 27

Maybe that will quiet those who say they are lead by a second-rate quarterback and a coach who cannot win without cheating.

Bill

FlyFishFrostie
10-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Bill,

Congratulations on your spread prediction . (I said the Pats would score 48). However, I don't recall anybody on this board ever suggesting that Brady was a second-rate QB.

I will say that at one point in today's game toward the end of the first half and start of the second half, the Pats reminded me an awful lot like the collapsing team in last season's AFC championship game. They gave up a two TD lead and fell behind, and their defense again seemed to have a tough time adjusting to short passes thrown in front of their defensive backs, just as they did in the second half of last season's AFC championship game. If they can shore up that weakness, they should be golden.

Schoolie
10-15-2007, 07:24 AM
As a dyed in the wool Cowboys fan since 1967 (at the age of 6, when Don Meredith was their QB-- I come by it honestly,--- my father is from East Texas;)), I must say I'm ashamed of the drubbing they took yesterday.--124-3 I had hoped for much more, and at the start of the second half, when they came out strong, I thought they were gonna deliver.:rolleyes:

That said, since I am also a native New Englander, I am also a Patriots fan, since they are the "home" team... so long as they're not playing my beloved Cowboys.--125-3 The Pats are certainly a force to be reckoned with. Looking ahead at their schedule, the only solid team they have to play in the upcoming weeks is the Colts. Yesterday may well have been a preview of this year's Superbowl.... congrats to all you Pats fans...:)

Onshore
10-15-2007, 07:29 AM
You know, the Cowboys are still #1 in their division. They did not play a bad game yesterday, far from it. They and Tony Romo are a force to be reconed with in future years.

Schoolie
10-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Far, FAR too many penalties.... cost them dearly....

Other than that, you're right, they didn't play that badly overall..... when they were on, they were on.... but the Pats dominated on both sides of the ball. 17 unanswered points in the second half, which up till yesterday was the Cowboys time, combined with over a hundred yards lost on penalties, put the nails in their coffin.

See y'all in February... ;) :brow

albacized
10-15-2007, 08:11 AM
It could've been worse if not for that bogus reversal of a call which took a Brady/Moss TD connection away...that was a brilliant catch and it was a robbery to take that away.

G-Man
10-15-2007, 09:24 AM
It could've been worse if not for that bogus reversal of a call which took a Brady/Moss TD connection away...that was a brilliant catch and it was a robbery to take that away.

Really .. you think?
It's a moot point, but he did drop the ball as soon as he hit the ground.

Cowboys do have running game ... they have the tools to do well. But ....

That was sooo sweet to watch the Pats hand it to em ... in their court.
Man, these are good times to be a NE sports fan.

Now ... let's see the Sox deliver tonight, eh? :cool:

FlyFishFrostie
10-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Moss did make a great catch, but on the slo-mo replay, I thought he was shifting the ball around slightly in his hands after he somehow got both feet inbounds, so I thought that he probably did not have complete possession of the ball. Thus, I thought reversing the TD was the correct call. I didn't think that Moss' losing the ball as hit hit the turf out-of-bounds would have had anything to do with the call, despite the announcers' commentary, because by that point he either made the reception in-bounds and with complete possession or he didn't. The ball coming loose upon contact with the turf either in-bounds or out-of-bounds should have no bearing on whether the receiver had the possession required to rule a pass a completion.

Also, great observations on the Cowboys' mistakes. If it hadn't been for all of those penalties and a few other miscues (e.g., tossing the ball right into Junior Seau's hands), the game's outcome could easily have been different. The game was a lot closer than the score would suggest, and Brady was fortunate to have stayed healthy after the pounding he took in the first half. We Pats' fans, rather than being smug, ought to count our blessings after this one.

manomet
10-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey I'm not complaining! They covered the spread for the 6th straight week.
A hypothetical $100 could be parlayed into $6,400 right now and I would let it ride next week against Miami! What kind of spread will it be ???:eek:

soundownsam
10-15-2007, 12:09 PM
I agree that the game was closer than the score shows, however, the Cowboy's miscues were not gifts that gave the Pats and edge. Those miscues were just another result of the Pats level of play and the complexity of the game plan. Confused or beaten linemen hold and rushed quarterbacks with covered receivers throw pics.

sam

SteepBank
10-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Great game but I think the D was suspect. We really couldnt contain the run consistently and how about that near safety? We had at least 4 chances on that one. The secondary didnt look great and overall the D was helped by all the penalties coupled with the amount of time the offence had the ball. They went toward harrison alot but I think he's still rusty. If this had been indy the defense couldnt have gotten away with thier play. Dont get me wrong they did what they needed but 0nce dallas found its legs they moved the ball pretty good on them..but jeez, what about Moss? unreal..brady overthrew 2 touchdowns as moss had seperation both times and then had 2 tuochdowns negated...the second with the supposed 'pushoff' was a suspect call

Schoolie
10-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Dallas also suffered from a bad call on TO, who WAS pushed out of bounds... that should have been a TD....

I thought the Moss call was good. He did not have control or possession of the ball in my estimation....

I agree the game was closer than the score.... but my 'boys did NOT execute, particularly on defense, particularly against the pass, allowing Brady his personal best game.... the points made above are very well taken, about the Cowboys errors being the result of superior play by the Pats... linemen hold, QB's throw INT's.... very true and well said.....

My best hope at this point is that Dallas regroups, shakes off their first loss of the season, and comes back strong. The Giant game in NY in November is gonna be pivotal, and the Giants played well Monday night.... The Pats should sail through the rest of the regular season, Indy is their only competition right now..... their schedule is full of losing teams for the next 6 weeks or so, except for the Colts.....

Like I said... See y'all in February! :D

FlyFishFrostie
10-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Schoolie,

You're right about the OB call(s). I thought the refs consistently made errors in calling OB. I always thought that if the receiver caught the ball and had possession but was forced OB before getting both feet down inbounds, the call is supposed to be ruled a completed pass inbounds. No? Well, the refs appeared to get this wrong several times during the game. And the announcers' commentaries only added to the confusion. The JD Drews of TV journalism and referreeing.

And, now Brady's photo is on the cover of Sports Illustrated (again). So far, though, Brady seems immune to the SI curse, which was the start of the downfall of Michigan QB Rick Leach in 1978.

soundownsam
10-17-2007, 05:02 PM
The Globe had a good article the other day that made me feel much better about the, at times, shaky Pats defense. The article pretty much said that what the Pats coaching staff and front office had learned in the last few years was that Defenses won games, until, they ran into a team like Indy. A team like Indy that had so much scoring potential that they could put more pressure on the offense than the defense did. High scoring offenses make the other offense so one dimension that the quarter back holds the ball, the O-line holds the D-line and the net result is you improve the play of your own defense by through scoring pressure on the other team.

I think we are seeing this strategy work.

sam