PDA

View Full Version : Small Snook caught today Cockroach Bay (S.E. Tampa Bay) ...

fxfly
10-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Hello All ... not a big Snook @ all. I caught this fish today on an eight weight fly rod--Lefty Deceiver.

The temperature only reached 79 today and was over cast all day from a Low pressure system moving threw! The water temp is still 83 also caught a Redfish 23'

flyaddict
10-26-2007, 09:14 AM
I caught my first an only snook on the fly 2 years ago at Indian Rocks Beach on a chartreuse/white clouser. Awesome fish huh!
Never caught a red though. Congrats thanks for the photo!

fxfly
10-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Yes; great sport fish ... I have been a conventional spin fisher man all my life! This is my first snook on a fly. I caught the redfish on a spin set-up using a once jig head with a soft plastic body. The largest snook I have ever caught is around 23' ... this one picture hear is less than 12' .

Strictly artificial for me regardless of the type of set-up!

This was my second trip on the water with the new fly set-up (pictured hear) I snapped it just after I caught the snook ... so I put it in it's case and started fishing with my Karma Rod.

My hat comes for G Loomis they are sending me a new rod and a return shipping label, for the busted rod--to facilitate a prompt return ... no questions asked!

Corbin FLetcher

En Fuego
11-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Sweet fish!

We dont get the monster snook in Tampa Bay. Particularly on fly. (got to use live bait, ooops)You got a red also? Thats not an easy trick, head a little further out and get the trout on the grass flats.

I am a noctural fisherman, fishing docks lights most of the time. The average range for snook is 20-22", but lots of them.

Sorry to hear about the rod, but you cant beat Loomis' return policy. I own several Sage RPLXi's and one Loomis Cross Current. My next rod will be a loomis.

En Fuego
St.Pete

fxfly
11-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Yes; Loomis is great ... I have had many spin set-ups (from Loomis) over the years and have loved them all! Never had to warranty anything until I snapped the CC Fly Rod. I already have the new rod, and the old rod is on it's way back to Loomis!

En Fuego--do you catch snook under the dock lights on a fly (?) if so with a spoon fly or what pattern works best, for you?

I have not had a chance to catch snook under the dock lights ... would love to get a chance soon!
I often see dock lights for miles, on the small Manatee River and could imagine there are plenty of Snook held up there-at night!

Corbin

pescator
11-07-2007, 05:00 AM
When I was in Florida (Sarasota Bay area) I caught snook under lights or at night with an anchovy pattern (Purple Ultra hair topped on Clear Blue ultra hair, a bit of flash and epoxy on the first inch).

White deceivers, about 5 inch work well and a french shrimp pattern brought me some nice fish.

But I thought fish were hanging on the docks mostly in summer, isn't the weather too cold ?

fxfly
11-07-2007, 12:37 PM
This time of year, in Florida ... we are just starting to receive a break in the very hot temp's. The water temperatures are well into the 90° in August and September ... and still in the 80° in October the fish are able to migrate back into shallower water—in November ... when the water begins to cool off some.
Today the surface water temperatures are still in the low 80's, in some locations (North of Tampa Bay) maybe 79°!

Corbin