PDA

View Full Version : 3 to 5 year ban on tuna fishing

happytuna
11-10-2007, 10:39 PM
i hear there a chance they might shut us down for three to five years for them to rebuild i hope that does'nt happen but it is out there hope our gov does the right thing for us

twofinbluna
11-11-2007, 01:27 AM
That would be absolutely ridiculous. Cutting the US fleet any more would be insane. We have been cutting and cutting since the eighties. Our country and Canada are the only nations who have consistently followed ICCAT scientific advice and we have led the way on monitoring and all that. We have been cut to the point that any more cuts would not only have little (if any) impact on the stocks, but it would cripple us.

Shutting down the US fleet for 3-5 years would mean the end of the US fleet. There would be no coming back. And like I said, the problem is the overfishing done in the East/Central Atlantic and the Medit.

Lets hope that for once our government sticks up for us at ICCAT and takes fight to the ones doing the overfishing. Our government set the wheels in motion 15 years ago when they championed the false '2 stock theory' and they have been hurting us ever since. All the while, the rest of the world has caught more and more and more with no concern over minimum size rules and fishing on spawning fish.

It would be nice if our leaders did the right thing on this, for once.

north coast
11-11-2007, 07:06 AM
"It would be nice if our leaders did the right thing on this, for once."

Ha Ha ! your joking right? our leaders?? right thing?? since when?

fishahn
11-11-2007, 11:33 AM
that would truly suck! the small fishery this past year seemed pretty healthy to me! are they proposing a ban on all size BFT?

happytuna
11-11-2007, 07:18 PM
yes it would be all blue finn if it does happen i hope it do'nt happen

twofin did you get that email with what they are looking at at iccat

twofinbluna
11-12-2007, 12:21 AM
I talked to one of the guys heading over to Turkey for the ICCAT meeting, he said that Hogarth is going to push the moratorium on the east...not Atlantic-wide...but with some of the enviros we got today, they could easily try and push our managers to do it regardless. Again, it would be pointless.

If that does happen, the entire tuna fleet will have to band together like never before. Not only is a moratorium in the West *NOT* needed, we would NEVER see the fishery open again. I guarantee that.

Soundking
11-12-2007, 12:49 AM
I talked to one of the guys heading over to Turkey for the ICCAT meeting, he said that Hogarth is going to push the moratorium on the east...not Atlantic-wide...but with some of the enviros we got today, they could easily try and push our managers to do it regardless. Again, it would be pointless.

If that does happen, the entire tuna fleet will have to band together like never before. Not only is a moratorium in the West needed, we would NEVER see the fishery open again. I guarantee that.

Exactly. How dumb can the management be to not understand epipelagic migration? Ugh, this is so frustrating. Anyways, Chris, I am in the process of starting a blog on various fishing tactics for guys who really get it, it is saltwatergurus.blogspot.com. The idea is to take an ecological approach and ultimately show people how important prey is to the fishery. I would tremendously appreciate it if you would be willing to contribute to the site. If you get the chance and are interested, please shoot me an email at jshields52(at)gmail(dot)com. We would love to have you as a contributor.

Cheers,

Jay

happytuna
11-12-2007, 12:57 AM
thanks twofin
i hope he can talk some sence in to them your right if we loose its all over for us i hope more fisherman would get in volved in the tuna like the herring we need voices so our gov will get it right we have done our part for years with quotas and size time to give us a break with the bait here the big fish will come and stay like they use to and there a lot more small one these days to

twofinbluna
11-12-2007, 02:53 AM
By the way, had a typo in my last post that I didnt catch until right now...in that second to last sentence it should read that a moratorium here is *NOT* needed....

dereks
11-13-2007, 04:13 PM
I also spoke to one of the people who is now in Turkey about the proposed ban and he made two very important points. First, yes they are going to propose a moratorium on the fishery but this is meant only as a "shot across the bow" of ICCAT to illustrate how serious the scientists are in the US about the overall poor health of the fishery. And hopefully encourage the Eastern Atlantic to reduce their overall catch. Secondly, it was acknowledged that it would be impossible for such measures to pass simply because of an enforcement issue. The most interesting enforcement problem apparently comes from what they believe are 10's to 100's of thousands of pounds of bluefin stored in long term freezer storage in Europe. These groups sit on these frozen fish until the demand grows and then sell them for more $$$$. The problem in a moratorium would be in determining which fish are coming from storage and which fish are coming from the ocean!! I thought it just went to illustrate how challenging the entire issue actually is.

twofinbluna
11-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Talked via email with one of the US guys at the ICCAT meeting in Turkey. He said that the EU is doing its normal thing: strongly denying that mixing occurs and telling us that we have no right to tell them how to fish. Mixing is obviously occurring. The EU sucks. Until our state dept. steps up to the plate on this, we probably will see the rest of ICCAT (other than us and Canada) continuing to disregard quotas.

The real solution would be to have those nations actually regulating their fishermen as they are supposed to do once joining ICCAT, but that is not going to happen anytime soon. We need to force them to do it.

As Derek points out, this was kind of a warning shot...hopefully it will be followed soon by real, top level action. (I can dream, cant I?)

And good point on the frozen fish. While there is no way the EU or anyone on the other side would ever go with a moratorium, if it were somehow to happen, you can bet it would be all but impossible to enforce.

Frankie G
11-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Exactly. 1.How dumb can the management be to not understand epipelagic migration? Ugh, this is so frustrating.

2. Anyways, Chris, I am in the process of starting a blog on various fishing tactics for guys who really get it, it is saltwatergurus.blogspot.com. The idea is to take an ecological approach and ultimately show people how important prey is to the fishery. I would tremendously appreciate it if you would be willing to contribute to the site. If you get the chance and are interested, please shoot me an email at jshields52(at)gmail(dot)com. We would love to have you as a contributor.
Cheers,

Jay

1. Another vapid statement by Soundking with yet again nothing constructive to offer, followed by 2) a shameless plug for your own internet fishing venture. I guess I support your ideals, just not the forum you choose to solicit in. Send Chris a pm if you need better content.

We're Here
11-21-2007, 04:34 AM
No fears about any moratorium being implemented to slow the slaughter of Eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean populations of bluefin! The proposal, led by Canadian and US members of ICCAT (NMFS head William Hogarth is also the ICCAT chairperson), was defeated at last week's meetings held in Turkey. Wonderful!

SeaHunt
11-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Salwater Gurus is definitely not something I'd want to plug.... Not much of a website... Sounds like another young egomaniac trying to find the easy way out....

capemike88
11-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Gentlemen, how quick you both are to bash JJ, when he has put more useful information on this website then either of you ever have!. Do a search on his posts & threads and see how many reports etc he has posted over the past 5 years and then come back with the same comments!

On topic; Is the EU seriously attempting to make a legitimate arguement over the mixing of fish stocks?

Mike Fallon

twofinbluna
11-22-2007, 07:28 PM
On topic; Is the EU seriously attempting to make a legitimate arguement over the mixing of fish stocks?

They are still arguing it...mixing that is. It is far from a legitimate arguement, though. Mixing has been proven, they just dont want to accept it. As more data piles up they will eventually have to accept it. When that will happen is hard to say.