PDA

View Full Version : Spring / Fall Camping

CRegalis
11-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Turkey Day is over and the bass are just coming into their own in Cape May... but we're already thinking Spring. My wife and I are planning to camp this year, and contemplating a trip to either North of Highland Campground (Head of the Meadow Beach) and / or Nickerson State Park. (Fishing will be involved. :brow )

Anyone have any experience / input? Or other suggestions?

Toby
11-29-2007, 12:12 PM
We go there a few times every year. Real nice campground, no elec, water of sewer hook ups. The choice sites (really all sites) fill up 6 months in advance. Go to reserveamerica.com to make reservations, and do it 6 months to the day in advance or it will fill up. Looks like they are doing some upgrades this spring and won't be open, check the above website for details. Sweetwater forest isn't bad, a little loud sometimes, could happen anywhere.

loon
11-29-2007, 05:11 PM
We had a good late fall camping at Sweetwater. What are you going to be camping in?

CRegalis
11-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the help guys- Loon, we'd be tent camping- good size dome tent used by two. Wouldn't be concerned about hook-ups. (In fact, we'd be happier without 'em. :) )

dudley
11-30-2007, 08:40 AM
We spend a week or two every year at Nickerson.
It's an easy drive to fish inside, outside , Chatham, lots of good spots.
We always go during prime fishing season, the spring and fall.. never in the summer ;)
Campsites are wooded, well spaced and most are fairly level... made for tents
The price ain't bad either....$15
Over the years I've picked out a few sites I like better that others...it makes a difference.
A good day trip this winter might include driving though, checking out the areas.
You'll be able to make an informed choice when it comes time to make a reservation.
.... you can get a site off-season without a reservation, but probably not a good one

uptonfloyd
11-30-2007, 10:19 AM
If you're seeking a truly unique experience, consider signing up for a campsite on Washburn Island in Wacquoit Bay. There are 10 sites available, and each has a multi-million dollar view of the mouth of the bay and Vineyard Sound.

You can't drive there. It's boat access, but you can paddle to it via kayak or even canoe. Fishing is within sight.

Toby
12-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Can you land a 21' boat and camp at washburn Island? can you beach the boat then camp there, if you have reservations of course.

uptonfloyd
12-03-2007, 09:34 AM
You wouldn't so much beach your boat as you anchor in the shallows just off shore (otherwise, you could become a slave to the tides). But yes, boat access is what the Washburn scene is all about...

And with a 21-footer, you can wake up at your campsite, and go have breakfast on the Vineyard (where you drop the wife for shopping so you can go fishing).

Note, they have porta potties, but everything else you must bring (and take away).

Toby
12-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Anchoring would make a lot more sense. Good idea about the wife, but I think the tent will scare her into not going. My 6 year old would love it I bet.

uptonfloyd
12-03-2007, 05:52 PM
You'd be surprised what you can get your wives to do if you dangle brunch in Edgartown in front of them...

CRegalis
12-06-2007, 09:15 PM
We've read about Washburn Island... it really sounds cool, although I suspect not for a first time camper. (Her... I fish out of a camp in South County in RI several times each Fall...)

Much of what I had read indicated access by kayak (or presumeably canoe).