PDA

View Full Version : How to clean LCD screens

Captcastafly
02-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Any one have any good ideas how to clean computer, TV, and NAV/DEPTH screens of LCD quality?

How do you get them spanky clean without smudges or scratching the screens?

I've use clean water with micro fiber cloths but never seem to get all the smudges out. I suspect it may not be just water stains, but some other oil by product.

I use horizontal straight stokes, never circular.
Is there any cleaner that may be useful to cut this film?

On camera lenses I use isopropyl alcohol, but that might damage plastic or the coatings.

super-fly
02-19-2008, 02:12 PM
According to the service techs a Raymarine....They reccomend water and a micro fiber cloth...big help they are(#$119)

FireFly
02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm not telling anyone to do this because your results may vary but I use iso alcohol and a micro fiber cloth to clean pretty much everything: computer screen, DLP screen, camera lens and lcd screen, GPS screen and sunglasses. Never scratched anything...

rsmith
02-19-2008, 02:18 PM
There is a product called Klear Screen safe for HD and LCD screens there web site is KlearScreenHD.com we use it for all the digital cameras we rent.

paulj
02-19-2008, 02:32 PM
I've been doing some research on this recently because we keep a computer in our kitchen. That's a great way to get a screen really dirty really quickly! The thing to avoid, evidently, is alcohol as it can cause cloudiness on the screen by reacting to the surface.

I'm using a product called Read Right ScreenKleen, which seems to be working well. They come in packets with a dry and a wet wipe. First wipe the wet, then immediately wipe with the dry. I think you can get them through Staples, along with many other similar products.

You can't go wrong with clean water and a microfiber cloth, but that doesn't always get the job done. The smudges, etc. from the kitchen wouldn't come off with just water.

Oh, I also read a suggestion that you make sure the screen is cold, so leave the monitor, TV or whatever off for a while. Might be paranoia, but it can't hurt!

gseries69
02-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Circuit City and Best Buy sell a product for LCD and Plasma screens. I think Monster Cable puts it out.

riptide
02-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Just remember that the screens on the boats have an anti-glare coating. I've "wiped" that off of a unit before and the screen all but is unreadable even though there are no scratches. FW and a clean microfiber cloth always works for me (Now). Just don't let the water sit and spot. Getting water spots off the screen is a PIA.

Captcastafly
02-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks guys for all your help. I'm fussy about clear screens. I'll try one of the products mentioned on my puter screen.

Usually I leave the clear plastic on (that comes with the new unit on board) as long as possible. Much easier to clean without doing damage from saltwater. Just a little Poland Springs does it.

JoeJ
02-20-2008, 07:38 AM
http://www.navprotector.com/

I put these on my Chart plotter and Digital Camera last year. Now I just wipe them with a damp towel or my shirt and don't have to worry about scratches. I don't think I would use them for the Computer or TV though.