PDA

View Full Version : 4/10/08 It's about time!

Slappy
04-11-2008, 11:23 AM
What a perfect day yesterday! Plan A was to drop in on the Fishstix guys and talk about fishing, but with the weather so perfect, I opted for plan B--go fishing!

As soon as I got to the area I started graphing small fish. I hooked a couple on the small fin-s but they were real dinks and all fell off before I could even see them. After about 20 minutes I realized that these weren't the fish that I wanted to catch so I trolled around a little and picked one up on the troll.

As I was taking the fish off the hook I realized that I was hearing fish popping near me. Bust out the fly rod, see a break and hook a fish. It turned on pretty good and the fish were definitely there in decent numbers.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o216/Yakfishpics/fish.jpg

These were a bit bigger than the dinks I was hooking before and were all in the 20-25" range and eating the flies on top.

After I filled my "I need to catch a fish" jones, I switched over to the 9" sluggo to try for something bigger. I think I averaged 5 hits a cast, but no bigger fish were showing so I moved.

First cast in a new spot, legal fish, next cast legal fish. I finally got my first legal of 08. This has been a tough winter of fishing and I was surprised that there are so many fish around now. These aren't fresh fish yet.

SteepBank
04-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Maybe they werent fresh but it sounds just what the doctor ordered after this freakin winter...good work, I'm impressed as always...but could you take a moment and please explain again why you use braid?:)

G-Man
04-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Nice going Slappy.
I have not even started looking for my fishing stuff ... and you got a keeper already. Way ahead of me. :cool:

Slappy
04-11-2008, 03:45 PM
...but could you take a moment and please explain again why you use braid?:)

Its hard to explain. I only follow the crowd.

There was a guy that fishes for Marlin in Australia that was quoted in Sport Fishing magazine and he thinks that braid is bad. So I stopped using it.

Now I hear that in the June issue of Sport Fishing magazine there is a kayak fishing guy who fishes for stripers in MA and he says braid is good.

I'm flummoxed, I'm only a bait shop boy and not smart enough to figure out what to do unless I read it in a magazine.

SteepBank
04-11-2008, 06:06 PM
hmmm, thats what I thought...good man for coming to grips with the truth;)

e-sea-e
04-11-2008, 10:40 PM
sweet slappy. theres a reason Im looking for lights for my harbor boat....