PDA

View Full Version : Polarized glasses - cloudy day?

G-Man
04-14-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm wondering if polarized glasses always need to be tinted?

I was thinking about this Sunday otw. It got cloudy and too dark for the nice sunglasses about 6pm, but I still would have liked the polarized feature to see into the water.

Can lightly or even non-tinted glased be polarized to see in the water under low light?

Maybe those "transition" glasses be polarized?
You kow they change the darkness ... activated by light.
Whatchathink?
-G

Drift
04-14-2008, 06:22 PM
I've got a pair of yellow tinted lenses. They work better than my darker glasses during overcast/ low light conditions but I still have trouble seeing through the water at those times. Nothing beats sunshine and no wind.

Go Fish
04-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Polarization filters out light that is not oriented in the proper "direction". Even clear polarized lenses filter out (on the average) 50% of the light that is trying to hit your eyes....

That being said, lightly tinted polarized lenses (yellow and amber are my favorites) kick ass in low light conditions.

e-sea-e
04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm wondering if polarized glasses always need to be tinted?

I was thinking about this Sunday otw. It got cloudy and too dark for the nice sunglasses about 6pm, but I still would have liked the polarized feature to see into the water.

Can lightly or even non-tinted glased be polarized to see in the water under low light?

Maybe those "transition" glasses be polarized?
You kow they change the darkness ... activated by light.
Whatchathink?
-G

there are many colors of tint on polarized glasses, each with its own application. as kevin noted, amber and yellow are great for low light conditions. Grey is great for bright sunshine. I think green is a good all around color. the costa del mar website has a list of their colors and what conditions they are best suited for.

My costas are grey tint, and arent the best in low light conditions, but they do work markedly better than no glasses at all.

mainecoast
04-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Amber. They even help to enhance available light.
Works well in fog also.
It is beneficial to have multiple pairs for prevailing light conditions.
Unfortunately there is no one lense that works for all light conditions.

riptide
04-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Costa Del Mar makes a Polarized Yellow Lens (one of the few that do) called "Sunrise" They claim to brighten up early morning / overcast days AND remove the glare from the water. They are on my short list. Not likley to wear them all day, but for the run out in the morning I think they might be the hot ticket.

FTMedia
04-15-2008, 07:39 AM
I too carry a couple of pair with me. An amber and a gray cover most conditions. Smith optics also makes a yellow tinted polarized set of glasses that work well in low light conditions. I do not own them, I only tried out a friends pair.

blueYak
04-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Polarization doesn't work if it's cloudy. Since the light is diffused and coming from all directions, you won't be able to see into the water.

e-sea-e
04-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Amber. They even help to enhance available light.
Works well in fog also.
It is beneficial to have multiple pairs for prevailing light conditions.
Unfortunately there is no one lense that works for all light conditions.

and unfortunately, the good glasses aint cheap- tough to have multple glasses of any quality given the cost.

SteepBank
04-15-2008, 11:59 AM
being mostly a shore wading fisherman I have always used amber as its better for depth perception..that way I dont walk into a deep hole or a spot thats over my head by accident.....of course you may not need this on a boat and there are also probably better colors for bright days with a hard saltwater glare

Smcdermott
04-15-2008, 12:00 PM
and unfortunately, the good glasses aint cheap- tough to have multple glasses of any quality given the cost.

Depends on your priorities...for a sight fishing I would rate having a few good pair of shades at the top of the list even over the rod and line etc...If you can't see them you can't catch them. I have two main pair of Smith/Action Optics in amber and yellow that cover most of my bases. Looking at trying a new pair of Costa's this year with the 580 lenses. The Costa's are about $210/pair and the AOs were about $150/pair.

Sean

BN2FSH
04-15-2008, 12:48 PM
I use Haber amber on the cloudy days and the rose/copper on sunny days. You can buy a combo for about the same cost as buying a single pair from some of the others and there is no sacrifice in quality. Check out the recent posts on the bulletin board at www.danblanton.com.

G-Man
04-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the replies and good info guys.

What's your thoughts on an interchangeable system like h3O?
I'm considering it... h3opolarized.com
Are there any better ... or reasons not to?

soundownsam
04-15-2008, 02:04 PM
As stated above amber or yellow are best for low light. If you are looking for one lens that is good all around I would look at the green mirrored Costas. The green is a coated amber and gives better low light performance than the blue mirror while still performing well on bright days.

I currently have the blue mirrors, however, next pair will be green mirror.

sam

JAVIDANGLER
04-15-2008, 08:44 PM
G-Man,
Seeing that you generally fish near shore. The vermillion and amber colors will highlight the weeds. The weeds are generally some shade of brown to rust color near shore. Add polarization, and they become quite visible. Grey, doesn't do this. Guess what feeds near the weeds ?// I have amber, and have had the vermillions (dark rose) in the past, the amber is better on a brighter day. But I still wear them up untill the headlights of my truck come on.

John

ShaneY
04-15-2008, 11:48 PM
I use smith action optics with a light amber lense

Fish On
04-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Smith Action optics does make a "transitional lens" I forget the percentage they change. It does not go clear to opaque, but does allow change based on light conditions.

phlyphyshr
04-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Cloudy or sunny polarization works the same. Polarized lenses filter glare. They only allow light from a single plane to pass through which allows you to see into the water. Light transmission is controlled by the density of the lens color, which allows for the "squint" factor. The quality of the polarization used (glass can't be polarized, glass lenses are a sandwich with film between) determines the effectiveness of the lens. Quality sunglasses also filter cancer causing UV, if you spend time outdoors and value your eyes, cost should not be a factor in protecting them.
Multiple pair is the optimum solution, bronze or rose will give you the most universal coverage from bright to low light. Gray are the darkest (especially in glass) and should be reserved for those bright days on open water.

blueYak
04-18-2008, 08:49 AM
PHylphyl wrote "Cloudy or sunny polarization works the same. Polarized lenses filter glare. They only allow light from a single plane to pass through which allows you to see into the water. "

Maybe you could explain to me why I cant see thru the water on cloudy days then.

spitfisher
04-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Just to pile on here, I use the oakley half jackets, you can buy different tint lenes that are polarized and non polarized. My favorite for bright conditions but not sunny is a vermillion color called the G30 lens I believe. Even with the 2 extra lens bought in adition to the one of your choosing that came with a pair you are still under $200. You could also buy the lens at alater date obviously. With some technic they pop in and stay in.

I like oakleys because in hot or humid conditions they are cooler temperature wise than glass lens, vision to the side is better too, because the frame ear stems are higher off the temple.

regardless, what everyone has contributed is correct, the only thing i'll add is that polarized lens filter horizontal wave lengths from flat surfaces, water, dash boards that sort of thing.

My 2 euros

JAVIDANGLER
04-18-2008, 03:26 PM
When you take 2 polarized surfaces, and turn them 90 degrees to each other, you can't see through them. Just look at the lens on the gas pump at an angle, the numbers go away... So while you are pumping it doesn't seem so bad !!

phlyphyshr
04-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Yak, if you have trouble seeing on a cloudy day, it's because of a lack of light, or glasses that are too dark,,,not that there's no glare. Can you still see your reflection in a pane of glass on a cloudy day?

Tin Boat
04-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I just returned from a bonefishing trip in the Bahamas. where I had great trouble seeing the fish with my prescription amber polaroids. Today I turned them sideways to another pair of polaroids and they did not black out. The polarization has vanished in my prescription glasses! Has anyone else experienced this? My pair is seven years old. Brand is Bolle.

blueYak
04-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Who can't see thru the water for sight fishing in overcast or cloudy conditions.

PHYLPHYL wrote "Yak, if you have trouble seeing on a cloudy day, it's because of a lack of light, or glasses that are too dark,,,not that there's no glare. "

NOT TRUE, have you ever been on a sand flat ?

In order to sight fish (thru the water) you need :
- high enough sun angle
- blue sky
correct viewing angle in terms of wind ripples and sun position also has an effect.

I will put a plug in for Maui Jim's here. Best glasses I have ever used.