PDA

View Full Version : 4/27 Riptide / Cod / Thats Odd!

riptide
04-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Once again the shack nasties caused me to change things up and head out bottom fishing. While not my thing, we do seem to have a knack for it. I made up thae crew late yesterday (Bob Pink, Big Scott Pills, and Split) We headed out of Plymouth at 0730 and headed into 4-6' seas towards our lucky haddock numbers. The big Contender made short work of the big seas and we made a comfortable 35 mph into the head sea.

Once on site we set up and split hung a haddock, a dog, and a sea robin quickly on clams. Jigs only got us a few snagged sea herring. On the way out I marked allot of bait in some shallower water. There were whales and birds in the mix as well. I decided to head back to that location and take a look. This proved to be the move that made the day.

At the new numbers we had loads of life and the sounder lit up top to bottom. Instantly all 4 of us were hooked up on cod and some with doubles. Jigs, clams and teasers were all getting crushed before they could even hit bottom. We fished this area with a 1.5 miles drift and stayed on fish the entire time. The action was the best the guys had ever seen. we had about a 6 or 8 to 1 short to keeper ratio. Thats not a big deal when you landing them 6-8 at a time! All the fish were packed with sandeels and as fat as could be.

Around 1400 we decided to head for home. We had limited out all 4 guys on cod and had one keeper haddock. The ride home was fast with the following sea. At 40 mph it was a quick ride home. Once again the big boat ate up the water so well Bob Pink got to take a nap dispite the seas and the speed we were running.

Final tally for the day a conservative estimate of 250+ fish with 40 solid keepers. The jigs did as well as the clams today. 3 of us fished with Williamson's Benthos Speed Jigs with Fin S and Gulp teasers. Unlike as trip the jigs got bit just as much as the teasers and by larger fish. The water had some big swells but was very fishable. We started in 190 feet and moved shallower. All of the action was in the shallower water.

Overall just a lights out day of cod fishing. While not huge fish, the action was so fast and furious, numerous fish were taken by dropping to the bottom, rod holdering the rod to take a drink and grab a bite and before you could do either, the rod was doubled over! I'm still not a huge fnan of the bottom fishign scene, but with back to back trips like this it is starting to grow on me!

josko
04-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Those bottom e-charts you use ought to be made illegal. It's like 'technological doping'.

riptide
04-27-2008, 11:06 PM
We still ran long. I don't freeze the fish. I'll eat the 10# I got in the next few days. I gave 10# to my neighbor (his wife trades for KILLER deserts)

Josko's right, since I got those new Navionics Platinum + charts, this bottom fishing stuff is kind of a no brainer. These are my first two attempts at bottom fishing around the Cape and we BAILED them both times. Gotta love technology :brow

striper 46
04-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Terry, do you have a little more info for the may 8th event? Do you have to be a member to get in? Are you talking about boat fishing or fly/surf fishing..

thanks Doug

riptide
04-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Terry, do you have a little more info for the may 8th event? Do you have to be a member to get in? Are you talking about boat fishing or fly/surf fishing..

thanks Doug

Doug, I checked the handout on the meeting. It's posted on Reel-Time here : http://reel-time.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12277&d=1209139945

Both Members and Non-Members are welcome. It's a great club and a good place to meet local anglers. I'm looking forward to the new venue.

It will definately be boat fishing. Fly/Lite tackle and some live bait. It's pretty casual for the most part. Going off on tangents is allowed. ;)

silverado mike
04-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Once again the shack nasties caused me to change things up and head out bottom fishing. While not my thing, we do seem to have a knack for it. I made up thae crew late yesterday (Bob Pink, Big Scott Pills, and Split) We headed out of Plymouth at 0730 and headed into 4-6' seas towards our lucky haddock numbers. The big Contender made short work of the big seas and we made a comfortable 35 mph into the head sea.

Once on site we set up and split hung a haddock, a dog, and a sea robin quickly on clams. Jigs only got us a few snagged sea herring. On the way out I marked allot of bait in some shallower water. There were whales and birds in the mix as well. I decided to head back to that location and take a look. This proved to be the move that made the day.

At the new numbers we had loads of life and the sounder lit up top to bottom. Instantly all 4 of us were hooked up on cod and some with doubles. Jigs, clams and teasers were all getting crushed before they could even hit bottom. We fished this area with a 1.5 miles drift and stayed on fish the entire time. The action was the best the guys had ever seen. we had about a 6 or 8 to 1 short to keeper ratio. Thats not a big deal when you landing them 6-8 at a time! All the fish were packed with sandeels and as fat as could be.

Around 1400 we decided to head for home. We had limited out all 4 guys on cod and had one keeper haddock. The ride home was fast with the following sea. At 40 mph it was a quick ride home. Once again the big boat ate up the water so well Bob Pink got to take a nap dispite the seas and the speed we were running.

Final tally for the day a conservative estimate of 250+ fish with 40 solid keepers. The jigs did as well as the clams today. 3 of us fished with Williamson's Benthos Speed Jigs with Fin S and Gulp teasers. Unlike as trip the jigs got bit just as much as the teasers and by larger fish. The water had some big swells but was very fishable. We started in 190 feet and moved shallower. All of the action was in the shallower water.

Overall just a lights out day of cod fishing. While not huge fish, the action was so fast and furious, numerous fish were taken by dropping to the bottom, rod holdering the rod to take a drink and grab a bite and before you could do either, the rod was doubled over! I'm still not a huge fnan of the bottom fishign scene, but with back to back trips like this it is starting to grow on me!

Hey Terry,

Wheres the first of the High def deck action?
didnt you get the bugs worked out of the new camera yet?

riptide
04-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Mike,

I got some HD footage of the Hadock trip. I really didn't want to debute the whole HD thing with a few SW carp coming over the side. On the Cod trip I left the camera home due to the rain showers forcasted. The Hadock footage came out pretty good, but its still pretty boring fishing to watch. Just bent rods and bloody decks. I'll post it up eventually, but it won't be the first stuff I show.

Sashamy
04-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Terry,
Whats so odd about cod being on top of the bank this time of the year? We never ran east of the bank in the past until the middle of may...just my two cents...Doug

silverado mike
04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Hi Mike,

I got some HD footage of the Hadock trip. I really didn't want to debute the whole HD thing with a few SW carp coming over the side. On the Cod trip I left the camera home due to the rain showers forcasted. The Hadock footage came out pretty good, but its still pretty boring fishing to watch. Just bent rods and bloody decks. I'll post it up eventually, but it won't be the first stuff I show.

Figured..
go find those early season slobs and flim it!!!

sardasarda
05-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Wow!! Your odds are really good Terry, you should go to Las Vegas. Did you know that your party can catch 1 fish every 1 minute 55.2 seconds based on lines in the water for 8 hours.!!!!! Based on your 250+ fish for that trip. Not to mention you stated, you had to move to shallow water. Boy that's pretty impressive. I hope your as good with your math as I.
Sounds like a fish story to me!!!!!

CHUCKNDUCK9
05-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Wow!! Your odds are really good Terry, you should go to Las Vegas. Did you know that your party can catch 1 fish every 1 minute 55.2 seconds based on lines in the water for 8 hours.!!!!! Based on your 250+ fish for that trip. Not to mention you stated, you had to move to shallow water. Boy that's pretty impressive. I hope your as good with your math as I.
Sounds like a fish story to me!!!!!

Math obviously isn't your strong suit...Based on your "expert analysis", fishing probably isn't either (#$119)

Welcome to RT! :rolleyes:

sardasarda
05-05-2008, 10:37 AM
The math may be hard to figure out. Let me clarify, you take 8 hours but you must convert the hours to minutes=480 then divide by the 250 fish =1.92 but the you must convert again= 1 minute and 55.2 seconds. Hence, taking a fish every 1 minute and 55.2 seconds in a 8 hour peroid, those are great odds, if it happended. It's basic math.Kodos to Terry if he can take a fish every 1 minute and 55.2 seconds. My hat goes off to him.

Codfisher
05-05-2008, 10:55 AM
The math may be hard to figure out. Let me clarify, you take 8 hours but you must convert the hours to minutes=480 then divide by the 250 fish =1.92 but the you must convert again= 1 minute and 55.2 seconds. Hence, taking a fish every 1 minute and 55.2 seconds in a 8 hour peroid, those are great odds, if it happended. It's basic math.Kodos to Terry if he can take a fish every 1 minute and 55.2 seconds. My hat goes off to him.

Try figuring double headers into your equation which is the norm on the bank this time of year. Terrys numbers sound more than reasonable to me.

Maybe you should try trolling other waters.(#$119)

sardasarda
05-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Sure I can figure the math out but then you would need to add in the extra time to dehook 2 fish and rebait x 2, consistantly over the 8 hour period. It would seem to be mathamatically impossible, provided it was for a 8 hour period. And I believe he stated he left Plymouth at 730 with then a run time to lines in and a run time back which in theory would take away from his 8 hour period. Thus, lessening the 8 hour fishing time which would lead to an even lesser time to catch those 250+ fish. Simple math gentlemen. If ones wants to boast then it needs to be believable. We all like to tell stories but keep it real. Smart people can do the math.

CHUCKNDUCK9
05-05-2008, 11:21 AM

Yeah. Math is hard alright. Try adding FOUR anglers into your math. Its 8 hours PER angler (=1920 minutes). OR you can divide 250 fish by 4 guys (62.5).

In any event, it's pretty obvious that you don't ground fish. I've got 10+ years doing it professionally in these waters, and althought we had a real good day-it wasn't a great day quantity wise.

You can take that hat off now. :rolleyes:

soundownsam
05-05-2008, 12:36 PM
4 guys putting 250 fish over the rail in 8 hours on top of the bank at this time of year is more than believable.

sam

riptide
05-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for sending Sarda to remiedial math!

BTW Sarda, nice first posts :cool:

farrmar
05-05-2008, 01:20 PM
A train leaves Chicago going East at 65 MPH and a Cod leaves the hump heading west at 20 kts. If the wind is out of the NW, how long does it take to filet him?:confused:

Capt Dave
05-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how he got 8 hours!

My math says fishing time was about 6-1/2 hours minus the time to get from Plymouth to the fishing spot.

Looks like he needs to take remedial math 2.

Ray
05-05-2008, 01:24 PM
is knucklehead (knuckle head) one word or two?

welcome to RT bonito

BobPink
05-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Pretty amusing progression on this thread. Having been one of the four aboard I do recall a few moments when we all started to try doing the math in the middle of the mayhem. I usually don;t give two sh*ts about 'numbers' while fishing but this one was pretty funny.

Anyway how about turning this thread back into a more productive direction. It is a fact that we stayed on one drift for at least a 1.5 miles, catching pretty much the whole way. Now, I can't imagine a school of cod being that large, so we were wondering if having four anglers fishing hard was creating a bit of a frenzy, maybe even the hooked cod puking up some recent baits and chumming their brethern into the mix. Easy to extrapolate that into the head boat situation and see how once a bite gets started it becomes self-sustaining.

Theories are cheap, what say ye?

riptide
05-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Theories are cheap, what say ye?

I still like the theory that the cod were lined up to be caught so they could get an up close look at the new Contender :brow--125-3

backman
05-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Captain Terry - its time you get the Shimano Butterfly Fish Clicker counter to keep track of the score.

e-sea-e
05-05-2008, 04:03 PM
I still like the theory that the cod were lined up to be caught so they could get an up close look at the new Contender :brow--125-3

terry, they knew it was you and just lined up to surrender quietly...:)

Im no math whiz, but that many fish in that amount of time is doable, Ive done it myself on a few occasions when they are piled up out there. with multiple anglers on a good group of fish, 4 every minute or so would be what I'd expect. when they are like that its drop jig/bait, hit bottom, hook fish, reel back, repeat..

Gadabout Guinea
05-05-2008, 04:27 PM
See, if Terry had the HD camera going we could just send the tape to Pricewaterhouse Coopers and they could independently verify the numbers (for a small fee of course).

Maybe Terry will stop by the BU Photonics Lab and get them to install sensors to count fish as they come over the rail? But maybe a simple sensor won't do though because we might want to verify species? Then if he wants to get really fancy, he can have them put in a vision system with artificial intelligence to grade the tuna quality when he's fishing for bluefin - (i.e. Sashimi, Sushi, Chicken of the Sea, Tender Vittles, McDonald's Fellate O Fish).

Speaking of artificial intelligence.....

:brow

riptide
05-05-2008, 05:04 PM
The camera was on for the haddock trip. Not the cod trip. I just don't want to debute the HD video with groundfish. It's decent stuff and there's plenty of fish on video, but it's pretty boring stuff to watch.

FWIW, they have the technology that Gad is talking about already. BIG comm boats can tell amount of fish in the net at a given time. Real time telemitry from the sea bottom. We're not that high speed yet.

And if it pleases sarda and lets him sleep better how's this

REPORT EDIT: We got skunked, there are no cod or haddock on, near or around the bank. Don't waste your gas even looking. We did terrible, it cost us thousands in fuel, we got beat up because the Contender rode like ****E, I got seasick and puked up my left lung, then I slipped on said lung causing further embarrasment as I lay on the deck of the rough riding boat covered in my own puke without a fish to show for the entire humiliating ordeal. Now none of the guys I took out will even talk to me, I have nobody that wants to fish with me after such a pitiful effort. This whole ordeal has left me in the corner of my bedroom closet in the fetal position with my thumb in my mouth wishing my mommy was here to make it better. Overal I suck, I can't catch fish, I'm goign to give up fishign forever and I'm going to become a Philatelist.:rolleyes:

striper 46
05-05-2008, 08:09 PM
hey sardra do you go by the name of DRAKE on another board!

bluefishbnb
05-05-2008, 09:25 PM
With all the posts and photos of Terry(Riptide) and crew putting the hurtin' on slob Bass and even slobbier Tuna, not to mention his rep. as a tried and true skipper, willingness to share technique and even location. I think it is a stretch(to say the least) that he would tell a fish tale about ground fishing.(not that it is'nt brag worthy)
Sounds like somebody's bored and jealous and needs to think about his/her posts a little more before sharing a narrow opinion.
Usually those who are most skepticle about fish stories have the most experience telling there own grand tales!
Way to slay Terry!
I'm jealous too! Especially over the Contender! WOW!

ruge13
05-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Anyway how about turning this thread back into a more productive direction. It is a fact that we stayed on one drift for at least a 1.5 miles, catching pretty much the whole way. Now, I can't imagine a school of cod being that large, so we were wondering if having four anglers fishing hard was creating a bit of a frenzy, maybe even the hooked cod puking up some recent baits and chumming their brethern into the mix. Easy to extrapolate that into the head boat situation and see how once a bite gets started it becomes self-sustaining.

Funny you should mention this...
A friend of mine was a head boat Captain in a former life down in Daytona and mentioned the same problem. That several head boats working in an area cause problems for each other when one boat drifts and the others anchor over a school or structure. That with the ground fish there the drifting boat can pull fish off the structure and cause the other boats to go dry even if they were catching.

He even told a few stories of how when the fishing was really good back a few years (20-30) that captains would purposely go from anchor to drift so a boat could pull the fish away from the fleet so the anchored boat's mates could keep up with the catch.