PDA

View Full Version : Spring tom opened Monday...

BobG
05-01-2008, 08:00 AM
...anyone hunt?
How'd you, what did you see?:brow

Gadabout Guinea
05-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Called in a hen that hung around with my decoys for a long time which I think helped me call in a big fat Tom. He couldn't find his way through the brush but he was ****ed thinking another Tom was messing with his hens, and we had him close for a good 20 minutes. My son eventually tried to sneak around for a shot but ended up spooking him of course. It was the first year we've had much action. There were a number of other gobblers calling back to us too. I don't think it was other hunters because of where we go, but you always have to be a bit skeptical.

I was planning on going out again Saturday but now the Mrs is saying she doesn't want any turkeys coming home?!?! :eek: WTF? I guess deer, pheasant, ducks, woodcock, quail, most things that swim, etc. are ok?!?!? I think because we had a clutch of chicks behind the house three years ago that we watched grow up.

Women, can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em!

Chris

--username-deleted--
05-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm sure you know this, and I don't know how old your boy is, but I'd caution you to use *extreme* care when stalking turkeys. I've done it, and it's a definite challenge to get close enough for a shot, but it some states they've actually made it illegal due to the danger of people stalking decoys and shooting hidden callers. That said, MA is not one.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S418573.shtml

Gadabout Guinea
05-01-2008, 08:11 PM
No, I'm very nervous about safety with turkey hunting. I think it has the highest accident rate of any shooting sport. My son is older (16) but I never let him out of sight. He basically went about 10 yards directly in front of me on his belly through the brush to get out the other side.

I lived in TX and NJ, two states with a very high proportion of yahoo hunters!! Every single season without fail, one hunter would call another hunter to him and someone would end up shot!! I've tried to impress on him the fact that you can't assume what you hear is actually a bird and not another hunter. We bring blaze orange with us for moving around, and keep a good distance from our decoys.

Chris

Go Fish
05-01-2008, 09:39 PM
I used to hunt Miriam's in WY but havent found the time to chase our local version yet...in spite of the fact that I am building a long list of good hunting locations.

Today I was out for some exercise on my Mt. bike and came around a blind corner at speed and almost ran over a HUGE Tom that was lit up and gobbling. Not expecting him, it scared the ho-ho's out of me and I just missed a tree in the confusion. The bird sounded like a teredactyl when it took off...it was a BIG bird.

--username-deleted--
05-02-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm not hardly a hardcore turkey slayer, but I see them all the time on the NS, mostly where I can't hunt them. Nice to see them for sure, but it can be frustrating spending time trying to scout them, getting up early and setting up a plan that fails, only to see something like this on the way home, close enough to whack them with a well-placed rock. That's OK, though. Their cousins the waterfowl pay dearly every year come October... :)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/turkeys.jpg

BobG
05-02-2008, 07:39 AM
L,

All those birds in your photo are mature toms.:brow The good news is, the entire state has an amazing number of birds at the moment. There must have been an extremely succesful polt hatch last spring, b/c I've never seen so many small jakes as I did this spring.
I killed a decent jake (17lbs) on Monday. However, on Tuesday and Wed, in spite of being in a couple areas which had some massive old toms, it was near impossible to hunt them due to the number of small jakes in the area. They had the smallest beards I've ever seen, I'd say around 2".(#$119) Though legal, I was trying to fill my second tag with a larger bird, so I passed. But these birds were such a PIA. I'd get up and move a half mile down the ridge until I heard another tom gobbling, set up, and begin working him, and those damn little jakes would come running, and find me all over again.--125-3(#$119) Finally, I stood up and let them see me, and that was enough to send them packing for good.--125-3
I moved down the road a couple miles to another spot I hunt, and within 20 minutes, I had 3 new jakes, all with 2" beards standing not 20' away, gobbling like fools.
This is my 24th season hunting turkey in Ma, and it's been a real pleasure watching our state become a top notch turkey hunting state.:brow

Gadabout Guinea
05-02-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm not hardly a hardcore turkey slayer, but I see them all the time on the NS, mostly where I can't hunt them. Nice to see them for sure, but it can be frustrating spending time trying to scout them, getting up early and setting up a plan that fails, only to see something like this on the way home, close enough to whack them with a well-placed rock.

Boy, dealing with frustration is one of the keys to being a successful hunter! I used to hunt the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge and there would be days where I wouldn't see a thing and then as I drove home, on the border of the refuge was a county park where hunting was banned and there would literally be hundreds of deer!! Varmints!! Of course when I lived in the Jersey suburbs, they were like rats and I would see dozens every day - now I live in rural Mass and maybe see a dozen a year!!

bostoned
05-02-2008, 08:54 AM
All of these stories is making me very jealous. My wife and I had a baby girl 2.5 months ago who decided to show up 2.5 months early! So Wednesday was her actual due date, pretty amazing.

Anyway, no hunting this spring. I might not have many opportunities to go fishing either. Not complaining b/c I love being able to spend time with my daughter and help my wife find some sanity but I would also love to be out fishing and hunting. There is always next year.

Keep posting the stories so I can live vicariously through you.

medic3
05-02-2008, 09:10 AM
I got out wednesday morning, was set up above a creek calling to a tom, things had got quiet for about 30 minutes when I happened to turn my head back toward my decoy and what was standing 10 feet in front of my blind? Big ole coyote, red, grey and black, big dog, all by himself. It didn't take him long to realize something was amiss, I wish I had my camera and not just my bow. Never been that close to one in the wild, I suppose that is why I never saw the bird I was calling.

Onshore
05-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi, Bob,

Talked to my daughter Kathy in Rutland last evening. She's walking every day and says she's seeing many more Turkeys than usual. Both in her yard and the north side of the road past the rail trail - usually late afternoon.

Gadabout Guinea
05-02-2008, 10:06 AM
All of these stories is making me very jealous. My wife and I had a baby girl 2.5 months ago who decided to show up 2.5 months early! So Wednesday was her actual due date, pretty amazing.

Anyway, no hunting this spring. I might not have many opportunities to go fishing either. Not complaining b/c I love being able to spend time with my daughter and help my wife find some sanity but I would also love to be out fishing and hunting. There is always next year.

Keep posting the stories so I can live vicariously through you.

Don't worry, I gave up bowhunting for over 15 years for child raising - but then it goes so quick and they get big enough to go hunting with you! If you're lucky, they even push you to get off your butt and get out in the field!

Chris

(Hey is that "Boston Ed" or "Bo Stoned" ??)

jay
05-02-2008, 12:42 PM
I've been out a few times. Passed on three Jake's, waiting for something a bit bigger. Still many hens around getting all the attention. It will only get better!

bostoned
05-02-2008, 12:51 PM
it kind of works for both! My name's ed and I do bowhunt. So it can be "Bo Stoned" or "Boston Ed".

charlie biddle
05-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Taken from my "office":

/Users/g5imac/Desktop/P1010048_1.JPG
/Users/g5imac/Desktop/P1010035_1.JPG