PDA

View Full Version : Where are the fish?

GULFSTREAM
05-19-2008, 11:13 PM
My friend and I put in well over 50 hours over the past week hitting up several spots in and around Boston with very poor results. All the way to Manchester and spots south to the Charles. We used both fly and spin gear and it's been reeeeeeal slow from shore. Between us we have caught a total of 10 stripers. Wonder whats going on, because it's almost June and the fishing for us has quite honestly been depressing. Our only moment of triumph was fishing the Locks at a well know spot in Beantown and getting one each before being asked to leave the premises by the State Police Marine Division. We couldn't help it, the bass and herring were schooled up and there were some monster stripers in the mix. Never seen anything like it! Whats everyone experience been so far from shore? Im sure we have erred, but what the heck are we doing wrong?! Not looking for spots but how has everyone else been doing this spring? It's almost as if an alien ship took all the fish and left a few pitiful schoolies...:confused: --124-3

Adrian

NHA2005
05-19-2008, 11:55 PM
I fished Boston as well....didn't do so well, one small bass. I think this cold weather is killing us. My prediction: fist warm spell means the mass of fish.

Either way, I am depressed too. It's caused me to drink more.

GULFSTREAM
05-20-2008, 12:00 AM
LOL, at least we aren't alone. It has been cool, but wth, the herring are here and in good numbers as are other baits. I have seen silversides and shrimp in the marshes...Like you said it's the cold weather and once things heat up, things will get better. Still depressing...Well good luck to everyone else, and hopefully well get into some quality fish and fishing soon enough. Keep tipping the bottle, but keep it in check lol.

Adrian

e-sea-e
05-20-2008, 12:05 AM
soundking and i trolled tube and worms around marblehead late sunday afternoon trying to cover water to see whats around,, got a few small fish. I trolled the danvers river and ran out of worms, got a couple very close to legal size.

I havent really put in any time off the north shore, but Id keep at it, its still a tad early up here but any day now the bigger fish will get here...some already are, for sure.

FlyFishFrostie
05-20-2008, 12:08 AM
There's little question in my mind that the stripers have been on a steady decline for the last 5-10 years in New England. Oh sure, we hear how great the fishing still is for the boaters and kayakers who use sonar to find baitfish and GPS to pinpoint regular holding spots for fish, but the shorebound anglers who I know have been complaining about the same thing; significantly fewer stripers in NE waters than in the late '90s.

That spot you referred to in Bean Town with the herring and big bass underneath them probably is not an indication that status of the stripers is secure, because that spot at this time of year has been great for many years.

GULFSTREAM
05-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Agreed Frostie,

that spot we fished is well known and is not indicative of the health of the striper population. It was just amazing to see after such a spotty season and low numbers of fish caught etc. Just a little frustrated with the time spent and the mileage put in but hell, thats a part of fishing anyways. I had better stop whining and just be glad I get to fish etc, even with the sub legals and schoolies we have encountered. It could be worse but like you said the fishing seems to get worse yearly for shore guys. Scary, actually. As a side note after reading some posts on this thread, maybe some of us including myself need to open our eyes and take into account some other factors etc. Lets keep this from getting nasty people. :)

Tight lines,

Adrian

FlyFishFrostie
05-20-2008, 12:31 AM
To e-sea-e:

You might be right. I may be getting less skilled and less knowledgeable the older and more experienced I get. Or, maybe you're just a fantastic fisherman, and I suck at it. Same with all my buddies.:rolleyes:

bb1
05-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Your so right....shore fishing has been dismal for years, even when there is bait all around! I really don't understand why....but I do know that gas prices, huge tackle increases (and the new SW fishing license) is going to keep me away. Running around trying to find (so few) fish just isn't going to be feasible for many.

Kuskus68
05-20-2008, 06:20 AM
It is just getting good in the Ct river sunday a friend had 60 fish with 8 keepers I will be out today.
I usually hammer big fish this time of year and earlier the water is still cold for this time of year.

SteepBank
05-20-2008, 07:51 AM
shore fishing really hasnt been that good for the last couple of years I think...I've only been out once this year and got one small one but I think part of the problem is the water temp..its still struggling at 48-49 degrees...I think it needs to get above 50 for the fishing to pick up...But I tend to agree that in general I put in alot of hours for a few fish..a skunking for a shore bound angler (especially when you compound that with fishing with the flyrod only) is way more common occurence than people realize..

Bob Parsons
05-20-2008, 08:59 AM
I was off Gloucester this past weekend cod fishing. The bait was incredible. Small macs and 9" sand eels. There were some sightings of stripers feeding on the surface but they could not be targeted. This type of think could be keeping the fish away from the shore.

Jacob K.
05-20-2008, 10:00 AM
There's little question in my mind that the stripers have been on a steady decline for the last 5-10 years in New England. Oh sure, we hear how great the fishing still is for the boaters and kayakers who use sonar to find baitfish and GPS to pinpoint regular holding spots for fish, but the shorebound anglers who I know have been complaining about the same thing; significantly fewer stripers in NE waters than in the late '90s.

shore fish are possible.. the fish are around. I have one keeper already.--127-3-

SteepBank
05-20-2008, 10:04 AM
heres the bag ....and the cat...Jacob were you fishing in the boston area?

GULFSTREAM
05-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Good to hear someone bagged a keeper, the alien kidnapping the fish theory I guess doesn't hold (#$119). Im not saying they aren't around it just seems ultra spotty etc. Im in a frenzy to catch a few fish before I leave for the summer, I guess. I need to chill out and just be glad to fish while I can. Thanks for all the replies etc, it's good that we can communicate and at times comiserate with others in like situations! Again thanks and tight lines everyone! :-% --127-3-.

Adrian

SteepBank
05-20-2008, 11:17 AM
nice editing job btw;)

Jacob K.
05-20-2008, 11:19 AM
thanks.
importantly though, the bit has absolutly turned off about 10 min. before sunrise. i was OTW yesterday morning at 430 and i had exactly 35 minutes of fishing, i was OTW at 330 today, which gave me 1.5 hrs of fishing. so get out there early....

SteepBank
05-20-2008, 11:33 AM
you certainly put your work in for them...good job slammin then early and thanks for the report..much appreciated. I just heard that there were some fish caught (schoolies) yesterday in the harbor and there was a small blitz that was available for a very short time...possible good news

Slappy
05-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Gulf, you may be suffering from the luck of the draw this year and just showing up at the wrong times. It has been slower than usual for bigger fish but there have been plenty of smalls around so far. There aren't as many fish here yet as in years past, but the numbers should increase greatly in the next week.

Stripers have been a little more difficult to catch and some inshore spots don't hold as much bait as they used to. But the quality of the fish has changed. In the late 90's 50-100 fish days were common, but the fish were small. Now the numbers are down, but the number of larger fish is much better. My number of legal size fish per trip is about double what it was 5 or 6 years ago.

Jacob made a good point, if you want to get on the fish, you have to do what it takes to get them.

Jacob K.
05-20-2008, 12:58 PM
In the late 90's 50-100 fish days were common, but the fish were small. Now the numbers are down, but the number of larger fish is much better. My number of legal size fish per trip is about double what it was 5 or 6 years ago.

how much does this coincide with your use of big plastics?

Slappy
05-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Back then I used to carry 6" sluggos, I don't anymore. But there were many more dinks around.

The striper population seems different than it was a few years ago. I see a wider distribution of sizes, especially since those big year classes of the 90s are good sized now. I think there should be more schools of small fish around, but maybe I don't see the smalls as much because I night fish more.

e-sea-e
05-20-2008, 02:44 PM
nice editing job btw;)

if you are referring to the post I deleted, let me explain:

I posted a reply to frosty's post that was up for about a minute before I decided that it wasnt appropriate and deleted it. I dont like to get personal here or cause trouble and after minute of reflection felt the post didnt reflect what I am all about and was the product of a bad day.

frosty and I came to an understanding months ago and I decided that it was better to say nothing.

if thats not what you meant, thats cool too.

Jacob K.
05-20-2008, 02:46 PM
if you are referring to the post I deleted, let me explain:

I posted a reply to frosty's post that was up for about a minute before I decided that it wasnt appropriate and deleted it. I dont like to get personal here or cause trouble and after minute of reflection felt the post didnt reflect what I am all about and was the product of a bad day.

if thats not what you meant, thats cool too.
he was talking to me E.

MatthewP
05-20-2008, 02:47 PM
I think the shore fishing, from the cape anyhow, has been pretty damn good. Last year was the best year I've seen. 50 and 60 fish days are not a rarity in May, in my experience.

That said, this last week sucked big time. My buddies and I hit it hard from Wednesday through Sunday. Worst trip ever. I was surprised because it had been building prior to. I've got a handful of keepers this month.

e-sea-e
05-20-2008, 03:06 PM
he was talking to me E.

very well, carry on. looks like youre doing well jacob, keep it up.

SteepBank
05-20-2008, 04:40 PM
sorry about that I was referring to jacob....it was an inside joke...hey i thought it was my turn to pile on frostie anyways!

FlyFishFrostie
05-20-2008, 06:10 PM
E-sea-e, no worry, because I'm beyond the point of being offendable now. I realized you might have been trying to nudge my goat a little, and that's fine with me. Keeps things fun and interesting.:) Your point that you planned to kill at least five bass this season was funny, until I realized you probably also were serious about doing it (please don't --124-3).

Jakob K, I never said fish couldn't be caught from shore. I said the numbers are down from shore. Big difference.

I think Slappy's and E-sea-e's recent experiences are more of the exception rather than the rule due to their fishing prowess and ability to cover lots of water, fish at night, and fish with a wider variety of methods.

But, for one-dimensional dummies like me, it's definitely tougher. A lot of the low-hanging fruit close to shore has been plucked, and most shorebound flyfishermen generally seem to agree. It's tougher now, that's all.

SteepBank
05-20-2008, 06:34 PM
oh my god....I agree with you! this is a milestone...just kidding man, but your right when your tethered to shore its a matter of number of opportunities which are definately fewer..plus you have to want to walk about 2-3 miles or more in the dark each outing...scrambling over rocks..taking chances on jetties....dodging skunks...I dont want to get into this again but thats the reason I used barbed hooks for salt..when i do have to chance to hang a good one i need every single advantage since i have already in effect disadvantaged myself by using only flies in the first place!

GULFSTREAM
05-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Well after a week of not fishing i'll try again this evening. Going to check out the ususal spots desite the Easterly winds around Boston and the bright conditions this evening. Ive got a gut feeling that something will bite, but even if they dont it will be nice to get out. Hope everyone is having a good weekend and is taking a moment to remember and honor those who have given to ensure our freedoms. Tight lines!

Adrian

FlyFishFrostie
05-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Here is something very encouraging from a natural pessimist.

Yesterday was a good morning (6-11 AM) in a N. Shore estuary. The bass were there, but it wasn't apparent until we let our flies drift all the way to the bottom and then stripped them back in with short, jerky retrieves. Suddenly, we were getting hookups with bigger bass (24-28" landed, a 35+"-er lost on a cutoff on the bottom) than I would have imagined at this time of year in this location. These bass apparently had followed 10" pogies into the estuary and were hanging there on the bottom all along but may not have been inclined to chase a lot because they had all the food (bunker) they could have wanted, not to mention the cooler water this late-coming spring.

Also, another encouraging sign was that there were some ultra-dinks in the mix, stripers that were only about 6-8" long and apparent migrants with sea lice and bright coloration. Such a variety of sizes mixed together supposedly is a sign of a healthy fishery, or so I've heard. Let's hope.:)

GULFSTREAM
05-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Encouraging! Beautiful day out there although the wind was a bit hairy with a 2/0 half and half zing by your face with the wind at your back. Another day tommrow, might hit it up in the evening.

Adrian

FishHawk
05-26-2008, 07:25 AM
I have noticed that the terns are not around yet in great numbers on the Elbow. It's the cool temps and lack of bait that's the problem.
Not that there isn't bait around but just not in great numbers yet. What we need is a spell of warm weather to stir things up. FishHawk