PDA

View Full Version : WARNING - Watch for the Cable off the ol' Dumping Grounds!

DaleH
07-01-2008, 01:49 PM
From First Light Anglers ... map attached below from my C-Map PC Planner ...

***Posted by For-Reel: ***
I work at a West Marine and we had a customer come in with flyers warning boaters of a "floating" messenger line that runs 8" below the water from the LNG offshore terminal. 3 boats have already hit the STEEL cable and have had SEVERE hull damage. DON'T BE NEXT!

These are the 2 waypoints for the ends of the cable, they are only marked with tiny lobster pots which do us boaters no good what-so-ever. The cable runs about 1/4 of a mile along the edge of the dumping grounds so stay clear. we dont want to be reading about you and your boat going down.

Buoy A: Lat. 42 23.6N Long. 70 35.5W
Buoy B: Lat. 42 23.9N Long. 70 37.0W

Mark Cahill
07-01-2008, 02:03 PM
for sharing the important info...

e-sea-e
07-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Am I the only one who thinks a 1/4 mile long cable should have, you know, like MARKERS ALL ALONG IT, rather than just the ends?? Idiots.

north coast
07-01-2008, 06:59 PM
probably take a drowning before they properly mark it.

fleshfly
07-01-2008, 07:05 PM
That is crazy. Thanks for sharing. Any idea to how the buoys are marked? I was in this area yesterday, and luckily missed them. I did see a boat just outside of Bakers which appeared to being doing something with a cable. It was a red boat, and I think the name of the vessel was Northern Canyon?

e-sea-e
07-01-2008, 07:08 PM
probably take a drowning before they properly mark it.

at least we head out well north of it.....I feel bad for folk coming from boston, its right in the way.

someone will or be seriously hurt, and then they'll fix it.

to the captains out there, is it proper under coast gaurd regs (or any other that apply) to have a cable a 1/4 mile long and just under the surfcae marked only at both ends? Sounds fishy to me, but Im not a licensed captain yet.

z-drive
07-02-2008, 01:43 AM
not sure, as it isn't a 'VESSEL.' i hope to be working that terminal and the second one construction will be starting on in august--- i'll get some inside info if i can.

there are regs for dredge pipelines and other junk, but assuming it is charted the actual markings can be pretty insignificant.

i'll see what i can find out.

micmac
07-02-2008, 08:51 AM
It is right on the way from Boston to the NWC. The markers are barely visible...they look more like lobster pots. Luckily they have had a boat out there which warned me to move out of the way otherwise I would have ran it over as well.

capemike88
07-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Not sure about the legality of the matter, however it is unbelievable that they allow a 1/4 mile long pipe 8" under the water to be marked only at the ends!

Mike

sandy
07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
That boat flagged us down as well as we were heading right for the cable. Seems ridiculous that their plan involves having a boat out there every day waving people down. The guy had a rod in his hand though so that must be a pretty sweet job.

riptide
07-02-2008, 11:14 AM
I poured over the USCG Notice to Mariners pages last night and was not able to find anything on this. Did I somehow miss it? Or is this not worthy of a NTM??? Seems like a sure way to get someone killed and /or destroy a boat.

browndog
07-02-2008, 12:37 PM
The rules don't specify marking for a submerged cable, but common sense would would call for markers. A pipeline on or just above the water requires flashing yellow lights spaced along the length of the pipe. It seems lights and bouys would br cheaper and more efficient than keeping a boat on station.

Capt Dave
07-02-2008, 02:33 PM
FYI----While I agree that the cable should be marked better, I'm pretty sure that cable is in a security zone that has been established that you are not supposed to enter in the first place.

north coast
07-02-2008, 08:20 PM
FYI----While I agree that the cable should be marked better, I'm pretty sure that cable is in a security zone that has been established that you are not supposed to enter in the first place.

As sad as it is ,how many folks out there actually know that.
How many actually know the rules of the road for that matter. In my experience there are an awfull lot of (what does SK call them again? googins??:)) out there that don't.. seems to me anyone with half a brain would clearly mark this cable.
think about this one- these folks are supposed to be professionals in charge of an LNG terminal.I hope they're not as careless with their product.:eek:

z-drive
07-03-2008, 03:19 AM
some of us work in this industry and have to deal with rec. boaters everyday, some good, some bad. as long as they're legally marked per the regulations, its not their problem. it probably comes down to the security zone thing, i should know more but i don't at the moment. next week i can have the full story from the inside.

otherwise, at the end of the day, the second you get on the water--- just by doing so, you agree to play by the water's rules. ignorance isn't a defence.

and about the guy with the rod--- any guess what i will be doing when the new tugs are online and standing by? :cool:

PER THE LNTM OF WEEK 18/08:
SAFETY ZONES-MA-BOSTON-ATLANTIC OCEAN-NORTHEAST GATEWAY-DEEPWATER PORT (REVISED
The Coast Guard is establishing two temporary safety zones 500 meters around the primary components, two independent submerged turret
loading buoys, of Excelerate Energy-s Northeast Gateway Deepwater Port, Atlantic Ocean, and its accompanying systems. The purpose of
these temporary safety zones is to protect vessels and mariners from the potential safety hazards associated with deepwater port facilities. All
vessels, with the exception of deepwater port support vessels, are prohibited from entering into or moving within either of the safety zones.
The safety zones include all navigable waters of the United States within a 500-meter radius of the two submerged turret loading buoys of the
Northeast Gateway Deepwater Port located at 42°23-39- N, 70°35-28- W and 42°23-55- N, 070°36-48- W, however mariners are advised to
avoid the area within a full 1,000-meter radius of these two locations due to potential safety hazards associated with the underwater
infrastructure. Additional details regarding this regulation can be found by going to www.regulations.gov and doing a search for "Northeast
Gateway."

'nuff said.

z-drive
06-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Not to unnecessarily re-activate an old post, but its that time of year more and more folks will be heading out there. I am currently working out there a few days a week running "security" which means chasing small boats out of the way, aka playing pirate, so i would like to share some information.

first off, this is an area to be avoided per the CG, see the NTM's. Inside the area to be avoided are two secure areas, each one around the two buoys. the "cable" is actually a high-performance line, i.e. spectra, dyneeema etc. the line is attatched to the submergered turrent buoy a good distance below the surface. 300+ feet of this line float on the surface, at the bitter end it is marked by 3 buoys. two yellow buoys with strobes, and a high flyer with radar reflector. first off, you shouldn't be near the bouys if you pay caution to the area to be avoided, and defiantely not in the secure area. these are marked on all the new charts you should have on board, or at least have looked at.

Last season a big sportfish ran over one of the lines despite the support boats best efforts to ward them off. they lunched all of their running gear, and guess who ended up getting taken to court? :brow that line isn't cheap to replace (divers, line, support boats) when you tear it up with your boat! lets just say you won't have any luck suing the pipeline for damage to your boat and they'll probably counter for any damage you did the to lines.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post them here or PM me...i'll answer them up no problem. I'll post one of our flyers when i get a chance.

Also, there is as you have probably seen ongoing construction on the second terminal, to the north. i reccomend you keep a CPA of at least 3/4 mile from all vessels, as some are anchored up with 4-point anchor systems. a collision with one of those buoys will destroy your boat. your best bet is to monitor ch. 16 on your run in and out, as its not only good seamanship, but if youre in a bad spot the vessels can call you and give you directions to avoid any dangers. ifyou are in doubt call the gateway endeavor on 16 for info regarding the buoys south of the dump, or the KESTREL (big blue/grey thing), NORD CLIPPER (big orange thing) or american constitution (right off tinkers).