PDA

View Full Version : Southern Maine picking up??

Potter
07-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Headed up to Scarborough & Falmouth this weekend. Are things improving after the slow start up there? I'm hoping to fish the north side of Higgins (Spurwink) and hopefully by boat in Casco Bay. I hear there have been lots of macks around...is that making the bass more selective and less inclined to take a fly?

ptlndsurfcaster
07-16-2008, 04:06 PM
only one way to put it. "Ayuh, it still sux some wicked bad"

Duckonthefly
07-16-2008, 05:23 PM
No luck for me the best person to as is jim at eldrige brothers fly shop. he will most likely tell you not to waste you time fishing. hasnt picked up at all in the piscat all the local guides have canceled trips till the fishing picks up a very sad state of affairs.

tmillerzzz
07-16-2008, 06:05 PM
" "Ayuh, it still sux some wicked bad" ROTFLMAO!!! TOO funny

maineguideman
07-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Fished Kennebunkport / Wells Tue Morning I took the kids No fly fishing. We had to go to six different spots to round up 5 mackerals and two Pollock. Took about two hours to find bait. I tried three of my best spots from back in the day when I used to guide . i hit the boulder field on the north side of the Mousam, Lords point and the reef point that sticks out from the Parsons mansion at the end of Cresent Beach.
Nothing, Nada, not a Hit, not a swirl, did'nt even spook any fish???????
I thought the Piscat was fishing slow. I heard a tourist Kid caught a 51 inch bass off Wells Beach on a clam Mon evening. He promptly killed the fish and filleted it
Due to the cost of gas I canceled My annual pilgramage to the Kennebec.
I did see alot of seals???

reelecstasy
07-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi Guys, first off I will say that I am a full time guide on the Piscataqua River, who fishes mainly chunk bait..
The fishing is certainly slower this year than in the past, however the fish are definately around. I have not been canceling charters at all and have two trips a day booked on many occasions.
The fish are more selective this year than in the past, and few if any are on top, although I saw a few working the surface today around 10a.m.
Fishing chunk, I usually get 10-25 on a 4 hour trip, which is about half the number in past years, yep it is a slower season.

Flyfishing from all the people I know has been very, very slow. Fishing after dark around the terminal lights has been better for those casting.

I and a few others, I trust the opinion of, just feel there is sooooo much bait in the river this year it is causing the fish to be more selective than past years.
I actually snagged a squid in the river a few days ago on a circle hook.

Just thought I would add my two cents.
Me and the buddies love this site and use it mainly to check the Tuna reports for fishing on my days off.
Good Luck.
Joel.

KeithL
07-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Fished out of Old Orchard Beach this morning. Found plenty of macs. Ran to a bunch of spots but only came up with one 19 inch striper. At least the weather was nice.

TwoLightsKid
07-17-2008, 09:31 PM
There are a few fish around, but I've only had good luck when it's fully dark.