PDA

View Full Version : Stellwegan Sunday report

gkc44
07-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Ran from the NWC down the inside to the SWC and then on to the Race and down the backside a bit. Back up the outside of the bank to the NWC and then back to Boston. A 130 miles of whales and bait but nary a tuna marking or sighting. Only good news is the new 200 HDPI engine did the whole run on 39 gallons, woo hoo!!

fishahn
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM
what size boat you pushing with that HPDI? I have the same motor on a 21' CC. I average about 4 mpg.

rich

gkc44
07-21-2008, 12:29 PM
21ft Contender. The 24 degrees dead rise smooths the ride but eats gas. I got about 2.4 mpg with the old OX66 on it.

twofinbluna
07-21-2008, 01:07 PM
These fish are odd this year. 3 planes and 5 harpoon boats saw them thick on thursday, thats a fact. They were there that one day but by the sounds of it they either went back offshore, or were not showing very well at all the days after that. The tides have been ripping and that was limiting the show a bit (slack tides were the best) but there is no excuse for some not to show.

Codfisher
07-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Everythings screwed up this year. Reports out of Hampton have mackerel so thick you can walk on them and not a blue in sight...go figure:confused:

twofinbluna
07-21-2008, 01:32 PM
I know that where we have been fishing, the weather has really been a pain. We get a day or two a week of decent weather (if that) and then 5 days of junk. The fish have been thick thoughout much of the GOM (offshore) for well over a month, we just have not had hardly any chances to get out and chase them. As far as stuff inshore (little tunas, stripers, etc) I think that it is still a bit early for them and that before its you guys will be all set!

We all just need some consistently good weather. The weather pattern has sucked all summer and it just needs to change. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Fishingmaniac
07-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Two guesses I've heard that seem plausible are all the lightning storms that came from on shore chasing them away, and the full moon. Short of that it sure is aggravating for them not to be here eating all this bait...and my hooks.