PDA

View Full Version : Can't we all just GET ALONG (Save Reel Time)

Frog
07-24-2008, 07:44 AM
The number of posts and the amount of actual info being shared here on Reel Time seems to be steadily deceasing. The generally slow bass fishing is probably the biggest factor, but I think we need a debate on what to post and how to post it , how to respond( no ad hominum attacks for example) etc.

Reel Time is one of my favorite sites to visit. At its best its a funway to learn alot about fishing and to chat with some really smart people. Much of the chatter is funny, whitty etc. Some of the resposes to posts are downright mean though and often in a way that is not called for.

On the Tuna forum Mike has been castigated for a recent post that was generally well thought out and informative. Any post after a succesful trip will sound to some one like self aggrandisement. Take it with a grain of salt but don't attack a person as dishonorable. Its just not right and might lead really smart people like MIke not to post.

Here on the Picataqua I recently posted on a a litlle revival after a slow period. A certain individual flat out called me a liar because he can't catch a fish. The attack was aimed at a misperception that I was saying the fishing hadn't been slow. The post was even tiltled the river ishowed her good side after being in a foul mood (Petulant). The effect was an ignorant pesron created a negative mood, about fishing a sport we both love!

A healthy debate is great. taking on a post for words used messsage intended, can all be great fun but personal attacks should not be tolerated!

Just yesteday a newcomer posted , all excited, about a great day catching fish...he was attacked for spot burning. Here in the Piscat we can spot burn a little becasue there aren't that many fisherman/ I understnd that in Mass with much greater pressure things have to be done a little differently but unless people provide some actual info why bother with this site at all.

The Tuna section is another example. Without Riptide and Mike what is there. The First Light Guys seldom post even on their own site. I suggest Captain John Ford as a paradim for guide posting but he is in Maine with no where near the fishing pressure Stellwagon or the race will receive after good intel.

If anybody still cares lets debate it...I hope we can help reinvogarate the site. IN the 07 spring the piscat fishing was weeks away when a post appeared about catching a few bass on Jopa. My buds and I spent three weeks having a great time fishign the Mack. Without the tip we wouldn't have known.

The proper way to fish a blitz need to be discussed. In North Carolina they have a skippers meeting before the Albie Blitz and discuss things . This valuable site could present a forum for such discussions ( If we are all nice )

Can't we all just get along!
Frog

rustbucketfish
07-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Well said........some of those who take pleasure in ridicule ought to get a life.

FishHobby
07-24-2008, 08:28 AM
I agree...way too much negativity. I'm new here so I'll probably be told to go stuff it or something, but there are two "rules" in the FAQ section that seem to be often ignored by some:

"2. Flaming, trolling, baiting, taunting, personal attacks and slander, or anything we judge to be of the same ilk, are not allowed and will result in deletion of the post and/or banning of the offending party, and this will be done with or without notice at our discretion.

6. Be nice or be gone. Period. There are places on the Internet you can go to be a jerk. This is not one of them. "

Ray
07-24-2008, 09:14 AM
The number of posts and the amount of actual info being shared here on Reel Time seems to be steadily deceasing. The generally slow bass fishing is probably the biggest factor, but I think we need a debate on what to post and how to post it , how to respond( no ad hominum attacks for example) etc.

RT is not likely to tell members what to post. We will continue to moderate threads, posts, and members as we have been for over a decade. Things turn south when fishing is slow, members don't adhere to the posting guidelines (http://www.reel-time.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53608), and people just want to start fights. For example when we introduced the tuna and offshore forum there was plenty of arguing about spot burning and accusations of false claims.

The mid summer slow down after good spring and early summer fishing is another time when bored and disappointed fishermen have short fuses.

We'll continue to moderate the crap out. I was tempted to close the recent thread by Clouser Man because of the attack on guides without merit. But letting it continue allowed it to, so far, turn around. I image his next posts will have more thought put into them. if you don't mean something then don't write it. If a member has a pattern of starting bad threads or posts they won't be around for long. We've cut loose plenty of folks over the years who demonstrated a pattern of poor behavior.

jim pod
07-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Has Squidbrains been reincarnated:eek:

brushfly
07-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Good suggestion because the same has basically killed the NY/ NJ Forum.

Capt. John
07-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Sitting here looking at the 3 inches of rain droping in my yard right now and have been thinking the same thoughts about this board. Number one it's a tough to place to mix a bunch of people together. There are guys I would like to fish with here and others that could'nt pay me enough to spend the day with them on my boat or thiers. That in a way just plain sucks (#$119). Guys who are on this board are already many steps above 80% of the fishermen out there... hell you would not even be here if you did not LOVE to fish and be on the water. YOU should be able to post info, places, tactics etc. without offending anyone else in the process...if you can't then don't post, it's simple.
If you look at this way... if someone can tell your personality by your post you are probably going too far.
On another note: Slamming guides or other anglers is just not good karma :rolleyes: , guides help pay for this site and should be given a bit of slack.. it's a double edge sword for them. They are helping alot of anglers out on one hand and on the other may be looking to fill a few days as well. Not sure where the guide slamming came from all of a sudden ? But a few "you know who you are" felt it neccesary to ruffle feathers over the past couple days ? Not sure if it's just boredom, jealousy or whatever but you got to know that guides in general have big ego's and are going to get offended by comments like that. We generally bite our tongues because we have a business to run but continued comments like those are going to only produce a downword spiral of guys not posting at all... look at Nat/Derek they very seldom post anything here anymore, granted when things are slow on the tuna front there is not much to post about and they do let guys know when things are good but I'm sure they just try and keep neutral and stay out of the crap slinging...that's what going to happen with the rest of the guides and good anglers, this site will see less and less posts and general banter. I for one (not bragging at all) don't have a day open until mid Sept. right now (if the damn weather let's us fish) so I don;t need to post anything. I just happen to like to keep in touch with other fishermen and share opinions on fishing related issues.so let's try and keep it at that.... FISHING related issues and just good banter between good fishermen ;)

Striper Stalker
07-24-2008, 10:16 AM
I love this post! I personally don't believe in the term "spot burning" & "UDL" I always have and always will share information with anyone that asks. Again I don't post much on here as the site has changed and I don't want to ruffle anyones feathers! Fishing is my escape from a 8-5 work schedule and I have a handful of places that are a guarenteed catch as long is it's under the cover of darkness. I'm sure a handful of you know about them if you live on the upper cape but if anyone asked I would be glad to share the info which translates into a new fishing friend! I may not get the "bigguns" all the time but I do get my share of keepers and plenty of blues for the cats. Fishing is a way of life lets share the wealth!--127-3---126-3-

maineguideman
07-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Yes Lets all get along Tmillerz and I have been trying to put together a beer drinking excursion we could all get together over beers

Vitamin Sea
07-24-2008, 10:20 AM
I am new to posting on this site, but have been reading it for a while. I have been on other non-fishing posts for a looooong time. The patterns are the same. Some people posting useful and sometimes too useful information. Many people just lurking. And a few people posting in a negative manner. My solution is to just not read the negative stuff and focus on the good while contributing while I can. And remember it is the internet. Mostly anonymous which allows for bashing without having to back it up. I can't imagine people would be so confrontational in "real" life. So take the internet for what it's worth.
My contribution:
Been bass fishing once this year and tuna fishing twice each time in a boat on the Cape. 4 keeper bass, 1 schoolie and 0 tuna. Livelining macs did the trick. The 5 month old daughter has been putting a damper on the fishing hours put in.
Have a nice day.

Mark Cahill
07-24-2008, 10:24 AM
The thing to remember is that this is a community - while we can police it, policing only makes sure you can walk the streets, not that you can actually enjoy them...

I've been thinking lately about what we can do to improve the forums. There's lots of little things I can do, but there the single biggest thing is if everyone starts actually reporting more. I can think of a few users that have been here for over a decade, and I can't remember seeing a single report from them...and I know they fish almost daily.

Be a positive force in the community, and others will follow. And as I wrote so many years ago "There are places on the Internet you can go to be a jerk. This is not one of them."

I'm welcome to all other ideas about what I can do, by adding features or whatever, to make this community better!

Mark Cahill
07-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Yes Lets all get along Tmillerz and I have been trying to put together a beer drinking excursion we could all get together over beers

Oh yeah, cranky fishermen and beer, that ought to solve our problems...:-%
:brow

Onshore
07-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Good post, Frog. No longer living in New England and fishing there, I do post frequently of fishing in my area - on the Florida Forum and have been thanked by many who travel here on vactation, etc.

I also will chime in on a post if I think I can lend something from my long experience fishing NE waters.

Occasionally, I have posted some sarcastic comments, much more in jest than in a
serious vein but; I'll be more cognizant not to do that in the future.

SteepBank
07-24-2008, 11:00 AM
I think this site is much better than when I joined. .there were threats of physical voilence for spot burning back in the day...real threats...not just bitching..so its much more relaxed. Also there arent as many locked threads when you think of it. Whent he fishing slows or its wintertime than people get ranky...just human nature...The one thing I do think would make it better is if people posted more reports. I try and post a report every time I get out, even if I get skunked and sometimes feel like theres not many of us that do that anymore. Ive never been attacked by posting a fishing post. Ive had guys say crap that was just to get me riled but Im pretty good at indentifying that and I just dont respond. A good general note: If someone says something controversial to you on this board and you try and type a response and after the third try cant word it right...dont post it

This is a great site and the moderators let us mostly work out differences which in the end makes a stronger community

so is it time to talk football yet?

Jackhammer
07-24-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm brand new. From what I've seen so far, we have a LOT of territorial fisherman here. Offer help, offer tips - If a guy is having a hard time finding fish, put him onto a decent spot!! We all supposedly get the same enjoyment out of the catch, why not share the wealth?? I wouldn't go posting on every NE fishing website "HOT NEW FISHING SPOT!! - BIG BASS!!" and go giving GPS coordinates. But seriously??. The way I see it, the more info shared amongst us real fisherman, the better. Greed is for those with egos larger than the supposed fish they are landing.

JSeamans
07-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Only problem I've had was with someone who publicly blasted me for sending them a PM (non-controversial, just asked for some info). They could have sent a terse reply and not broadcast it to the world.

Other than that, the Great Flame Wars of the early Reel Time were our WWII. We can tell today's kids about it but they'll never know what REAL war was like.

Mark Cahill
07-24-2008, 12:21 PM
WWII, when we had to edit the html of the darned board to remove posts. Good Lord, that was awful.

PeteV
07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I took a little vacation from the site ...some of the content was making me feel old & I had a hard time adjusting to the change in maturity level ... I definitely don't have a problem with young fishermen or anyone just starting out but the chest thumping studly attitude just because you caught a decent fish or your dad gave you a new boat was just a little too much to handle.

Soundking
07-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Holy Lech Walesa, Batman! Check out the solidarity.

A handful of thoughts I had when thinking about this. A small preface as well. Please, please, please do not take my reports seriously. If you don't have a sense of humor and can't find the meaning, don't read them. The fishing stuff is completely serious, the fishing was exactly as described, but the tone is designed to parody others, to be self-depricating and generally humorous. Malice, chest-thumping and other misconceptions are the furthest thing from my intent.

1) I'm fairly open about inshore stuff. I don't mind talking about locations of bodies of fish, but the "3rd rock to the left" stuff I don't believe in posting.

2) The reason behind that is my personal philosophy about fishing. It's not about specific locations, it's about reading the water and disecting the environment. My desire is to learn how to catch fish, not where to catch fish. Things learned about certain locations can be applied to similar ones. Learning how fish react to different conditions and environment is the key to developing a skunk-proof skill set. Please don't attack me for the skunk-proof comment, obviously everyone gets skunked but the ability to catch one fish when the fishing sucks is what makes someone really good. That comes from learning why fish feed in certain places, not where fish are feeding.

3) I think I'm done posting reports about tuna. Where I fish, the grounds are far too accessable for most people. Tuna are very exciting fish but they are also very challenging fish. I don't want people to jump on me for this, but there are a lot of people out there fishing for them that have no business doing so. In my opinion, to even have a shot at these things your skill level on inshore needs to be off the charts good. That will put you in position to hit the ground running when you get out there and ease the learning curve. These fish expose every flaw someone has from boat handling to fish fighting. The first five trips (they were for everyone I know) are usually lessons in humility. I'm not trying to use hyperbole on this, but there are people offshore targeting them that serve no purpose other than to pollute the fishery. Most good bites where I fish have a max sustanance of 5-10 guides and super-hardcore guys. Guys who respect eachothers space, learn to anticipate were and how they will feed and finally know how to make their shots count. Add one boat who doesn't know how to do the tuna game and it can ruin it for everyone. Therein lies my hesitance to post when the fish are going off. If someone were to PM me at any time, I would be more than happy to give all the information I know. Guys who post on here are good enough to manage the fish, it's the people who read the boards but don't contribute I am worried about. Tuna word spreads like wildfire.

4) I will post ad-nauseum about trends, techniques and tactics. If someone were to ask how to fish for tuna, I would type for hours on here everything I have learned in hopes of helping people. I don't pretend to know everything about these fish, but I have learned a fair ammount. I feel as though what I know can be helpful in the right way. Like I have written, the game is about adaptability and I see too many people relying on hot lures or certain techniques to get them tight. Of course certain lures work for these fish, but the name of the game is understanding why those specific lures work. Wonder why Terry can go to Wal-Mart and pick up the newest, hottest lures? Because he understands what he will need when he goes in there, he knows how to fish them and he knows when to fish them.

5) My personal message when I am being serious is understanding variables. The stuff that frustrates me is when people ask the wrong kind of questions. This game is very seldom about where and almost always about why. I think there needs to be more high-level content about understanding why fish behave the way they do. The lower level stuff will only keep people in that mid-level knowledge range and stipend their ability to consistently catch fish.

I really like this website and the people on it. A lot of posters have become real life friends of mine and it has been a cool thing. It is a highly valuable resource when the right kind of content is provided, however the atmosphere doesn't always foster situational discussion. It's consumer-driven and I think there are users that need to ask the right questions in order to get the content moving in the right direction. Off of soapbox now, and please remember the things I said were not meant to be bombastic or arrogant or condescending. I just feel that those are the facts and I have a strong desire to see the right kind of questions asked as I want people to benefit as much as possible.

bigblue
07-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I haven't been doing too much Striper fishing and only went up to the Cape Cod Canal once this year- the gas is too expensive.
I think this is the first time this year I've read this forum. I do like to read the Canal reports even though I can't fish there very much this year. Hope they continue.:)

Capt. John
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM
WOW - Soundking totally getting serious on us !! As wacked out as you are sometimes... I LOVE the take on tuna fishing....Hope you don't mind but I'm taking that one to the tuna/offshore board !!! Hit the nail right on the head dude:brow

manomet
07-24-2008, 03:09 PM
WOW - Soundking totally getting serious on us !! As wacked out as you are sometimes... I LOVE the take on tuna fishing....Hope you don't mind but I'm taking that one to the tuna/offshore board !!! Hit the nail right on the head dude:brow

I agree, really JJ that was very well thought out and a good read, unfortunately I'm probably in that group that should not be out there on the bank but I don't consider myself a yahoo either, If I had the TOW it might be different I'm clinging to the hope even a blind squirrel finds a nut.
Great post!

tmillerzzz
07-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Did someone say beer? :-%

OffshoreAngler
07-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Ohhhhh, it's not that bad. We all need a quick battle or two mid-season to fire things up! Info sharing (whats working, they are around, we had a great day....) is all good stuff. The specifics....unfortunatley, that ship has sailed. I remember when a trip to the rips off Monomoy was a big trip for me out of the Bass River. Now, if I don't burn 40-50 gallons and cover 80 miles in a day to hit each spot, I just didn't try enough. I wonder if the fishing has got better or we just spend more to get to them and catch them.(#$119)

A year ago I was working with Grady White at the Boston Boat Show. I was talking to the marketing director who said the fishing industry was the #1 growing "activity & sport" in the US, growing by the Billions of dollars. If you scale that growth to our area and the reachable locations for a day trip....:eek:

In any case, there are too many people of all abilities willing to go wherever and do whatever it takes to have a great day. Sharing "specific local" info wide open on a forum unfortunalty can't work.

That being said, good readers can get what they need to out of the most vague posts.

Slappy
07-24-2008, 05:19 PM
That being said, good readers can get what they need to out of the most vague posts.

For those who know what they are doing, vague posts are as good as the specifics.

I think the whole spot burning thing is over rated, but I don't post specifics.

Posts about big stripers usually drop off until commercial season ends. Commercial guys do surf the forums, but the best guys have their spots and don't need to move.

The infighting is nothing new. It is July, bass have slowed and tuna are hiding. Everything will be cured next month as the tuna show! :rolleyes:

As soon as it stops raining, I'm going to cure myself too. --127-3-

Slappy
07-24-2008, 05:24 PM
The stuff that frustrates me is when people ask the wrong kind of questions. This game is very seldom about where and almost always about why. .

Not just asking the wrong questions, but what gets me is when a poster notes that "I didn't see anyone else catch a fish". This doesn't excuse you from not knowing what you are doing. There is nothing wrong with getting skunked, but don't blame it on the fishing, you made the decisions that got you skunked and others made the same bad decision. Why not just say "we were all inept and chose the wrong time and tide or went to the wrong location or didn't fish it right.

The queen knows what he is talking about when he says it isn't about where, it is about why. When you got skunked, there was a guy near by and he had a great day. Why?:confused:

mumichog
07-24-2008, 08:11 PM

Reel Time is one of my favorite sites to visit. At its best its a funway to learn alot about fishing and to chat with some really smart people. Much of the chatter is funny, whitty etc. Some of the resposes to posts are downright mean though and often in a way that is not called for.

On the Tuna forum Mike has been castigated for a recent post that was generally well thought out and informative. Any post after a succesful trip will sound to some one like self aggrandisement. Take it with a grain of salt but don't attack a person as dishonorable. Its just not right and might lead really smart people like MIke not to post.

Here on the Picataqua I recently posted on a a litlle revival after a slow period. A certain individual flat out called me a liar because he can't catch a fish. The attack was aimed at a misperception that I was saying the fishing hadn't been slow. The post was even tiltled the river ishowed her good side after being in a foul mood (Petulant). The effect was an ignorant pesron created a negative mood, about fishing a sport we both love!

A healthy debate is great. taking on a post for words used messsage intended, can all be great fun but personal attacks should not be tolerated!

Just yesteday a newcomer posted , all excited, about a great day catching fish...he was attacked for spot burning. Here in the Piscat we can spot burn a little becasue there aren't that many fisherman/ I understnd that in Mass with much greater pressure things have to be done a little differently but unless people provide some actual info why bother with this site at all.

The Tuna section is another example. Without Riptide and Mike what is there. The First Light Guys seldom post even on their own site. I suggest Captain John Ford as a paradim for guide posting but he is in Maine with no where near the fishing pressure Stellwagon or the race will receive after good intel.

If anybody still cares lets debate it...I hope we can help reinvogarate the site. IN the 07 spring the piscat fishing was weeks away when a post appeared about catching a few bass on Jopa. My buds and I spent three weeks having a great time fishign the Mack. Without the tip we wouldn't have known.

The proper way to fish a blitz need to be discussed. In North Carolina they have a skippers meeting before the Albie Blitz and discuss things . This valuable site could present a forum for such discussions ( If we are all nice )

Can't we all just get along!
Frog

Yep, we can all get along - it might help if you stop calling me "ignorant" - maybe you failed to read your own post. And if you read my post, I did not "flat out call [you] a liar," but why worry about the facts? BTW, I can catch fish, I know proudly posted at least once about doing so. The fact is you have no idea of the breadth, or limit, of my sources for info on the Piscataqua. Regardless, you have seen fit to demean my knowledge and ability in the midst of post aimed at uniting this site. It's also revealing that you did not choose to mention my own admission of too much complaining and not enough effort in the post you found so offensive. Nor have you chosen to include how you mocked me as being able to find fishing equipment sales but not stripers.

Personally, I be crushed to see the demise of RT. I'll redouble my efforts at best behavior.

Good Luck Frog.

NausetDog
07-24-2008, 08:48 PM
I've belonged to RT for several years, but have just recently started to become more active. I've got to say as a newcomer I love this place, but the tone of some of the posts really disappoints me. I log on to have fun, learn, share what little I know, and meet others that share my interest in fishing.

We all have a great place in RT & I hope that we can continue to support the administrators & moderators to weed out the bad posts & threads, and take action when needed if a member gets out of hand. We shouldn't let a few bad apples ruin it for the majority of us. The rules of this forum are well thought out & before anyone gets testy or nasty in an open post I wish they'd read them. Don't we all have enough stress & conflict in our everyday lives that we'd want to leave it there & save fishing for having a blast?! I agree RT posting rule # 6, sums it all up real well
6. Be nice or be gone. Period. There are places on the Internet you can go to be a jerk. This is not one of them. "

One other point I'd like to make is in support of the guides. I'd never hired a guide until last fall at the Salmon River (Ed Martin). I just figured it was too expensive for me to justify. Boy was I wrong. The amount of money I've wasted over the years on needless tackle, lures, flies & misc gear far exceeds the investment I made in a guide. I just hired Randy Jones last Sunday to fish the Monomoy flats & had a fantastic day even though the fishing was slow. What I've learned from these two guides will save me a ton of wasted money in the future on needless junk tackle, not to mention exponentially increase my enjoyment & catch rate. I think anyone that takes shots at the guides should be ashamed of themselves. The good guides work really hard at their craft, are critical to our sport's continued success, and from what I've seen on RT & in speaking to them personally are usually very willing to share info if they're treated with respect. If some of them choose to limit the amount of info & details they share then I think we should support & understand their individual personal reasons for doing so. In case any of you are wondering if they're overpaid, do the math. After the time & expenses they have to invest to be on the water, not to mention the time & expenses they have to spend when not on the water, I think we're darn lucky their prices are so reasonable, even the. I'd highly recommend to those of you that fished with a guide to do so, and if you can't afford to swing it by yourself put a post into trip shares in advance to see if you can meet someone new & make a new fishing buddy. And if the guides do a good job (fish or no fish-even the great guides get skunked sometimes) remember that nice sized tips are the best way to show your appreciation and keep them contributing to our sport!

Tball
07-25-2008, 09:27 AM
First I would like to say we are in America arenít we? Isnít diversity what makes this country GREAT?
JJís passion for this sport does a couple things to me 1st it inspires me 2nd makes me a bit jealous. Not jealous that he catches fish jealous of the youth. I miss that fire in my gut. Donít get me wrong I still a smoldering ember just not that burning fire that we all had when we are young.
Just remember when you point a finger at someone you have 3 pointing back at you.
JJ and everyone that posts here keep it coming