PDA

View Full Version : Troll vs. casting

featherbaiter
07-31-2008, 09:07 AM
What causes certain areas ie: Regal sword to be considered a "trolling area" and other areas ie: CCB to be "casting areas"? Is there different bait? Different fish? Is those just customary techniques that have no practical basis?

ruge13
07-31-2008, 12:54 PM
customary techniques that have no practical basis?

Customary, however I think most people feel that the frequency of surface feeds is less on the sword. Making the Bay ideal for casting. Not saying it doesn't happen and people surely get plenty on top out there. You are also dealing with a larger boady of water east of chatham, where in the bay finding surface fish is a little easier.

Hardtail Hunter
08-01-2008, 11:33 AM
IDK I think it can be done at the sword but mre people troll out there because its easier

Go Fish
08-01-2008, 12:19 PM
I think the Sword is a "trolling area" because it is 40+ miles from safe port and the light tackle mosquito fleet doesn't often go out there. Casting to rising fish from a big Sportie isn't that easy...unless the cappy is willing to back down onto the fish.

Proximity of the Bay makes it more popular with the casting crowd contributing to it's "casting area" designation but it also has the reputation for being notoriously difficult the raise a fish in a trolled spread...I have no clue why that is but I'm a believer...trolling don't work in the Bay.

OffshoreAngler
08-01-2008, 09:06 PM
I've had a good mix of both areas.... I think one huge factor is the bait. East is all squid and sand eels. The Bay has a variety of bait that are both fast moving & schooling making the feeds agressive... Sand Eels, Squid, Tinker Macs, Peanut Bunker, Half Beaks, Butterfish, Pogies.... The topwater action out east is a more slashing or rolling through sand eels. I've seen feeds out east but they are nothing like the Bay. As far as the troll in CCB, I have no idea why it doesn't work well....:confused:

featherbaiter
08-02-2008, 05:50 AM
The bait explaination makes sense to me. I've never been out to the sword in my boat but I have been to the closer area and have seen some pretty savage surface feeds there. They do tend to be shorter than the ones that I've seen in the bay however but that may just be lack of exposure.

JoeA
08-02-2008, 07:49 AM
The troll sometimes is the only thing that works in the bay. Every situation is different but some boat do raise fish better that others. This is a discussion for the winter because it could get quite intricate. It is beleived that certain diesel engines will raise tuna when other engines won't. Greg Sears is an excellent charterman out of scituate he catches alot of tuna all on the troll at all tie of the day. They troll eight bars at a time and they beleive that that raises fish really well combined with the sound of the engine and the wake their boat creates. Us guys in the small boat have a hard time presenting a spread like they do. But I do fish with a good friend of mine on a twenty five foot whaler with outboard who troll exclusily in the bay and on the backside. This guy has alot of experience and I have caught eight tuna on his boat in two trips In twenty trips out on my boat I have hooked as many and landed four of them in two years. I guess you have to chalk that up to experience.